Looking for a DBMS benchmark

Post by Alvaro Mon » Thu, 29 Oct 1992 03:51:46

Hi.  We are currently working in a distributed database
management system.  What I would like is to get a hold
of a benchmark which would let us test the performance
of our system.  The kind of benchmark which I'm looking
for is one which issues interleaving transaction requests
to a database.  The transaction request should have a
transaction identifier and an SQL/QUEL command.

We would like the benchmark to model some realistic
user interactions with a database.  This is something
else I am looking for.

Where can I find these kind of statistics?  That is
things like, how many queries compared to updates (i.e.
SQL inserts, deletes and update combined), how long are
transactions around for?  How big is the data which is
queried? How big is the data which is updated?

Thanks.
Al

Looking for a DBMS benchmark

Post by Jonathan Schn » Fri, 30 Oct 1992 01:36:45

Al raises some very interesting points, many of which I have struggled with.
I have been "benchmarking" RDBMS's for Solbourne Computer
for the past 8 months or so.

Quote:>> What I would like is to get a hold
>>of a benchmark which would let us test the performance
>>of our system.

Standard benchmarks exist, TPC-a,b,c - but...
        1) They do not accurately model anything but transactions
        2) They are very complicated to run
        3) They are not public domain
These are the only standard benchmarks I know about. Please let me know
what else is out there.

Quote:>>We would like the benchmark to model some realistic
>>user interactions with a database.  This is something
>>else I am looking for.

In order to create the benchmark, the Database Application must be known.
What is realistic- well what really happens? This is a flaw with the
TPC benchmarks - The results show max TPS's - but it is not a real application.

Quote:>>Where can I find these kind of statistics?  That is
>>things like, how many queries compared to updates (i.e.
>>SQL inserts, deletes and update combined), how long are
>>transactions around for?  How big is the data which is
>>queried? How big is the data which is updated?

Aye, theres the rub.

OK - So what did I do? I narrowed my reseach down to a particular application:
ORACLE FINANCIALS ( Oracle Corp's integrated fianacial package, all TM's and
other ownership identifiers respectfully ommitted)

I used a remote terminal emulation package ( Neil Nelson Inc. RTE ). The RTE
allowed keystroke capture ( important because the application was screen based),
and the ability to edit the resultant scipts. I  created several scripts to
emulate several types of users. Further editing of three scripts allowed me
to add unique variables ( based on user number) so that multiple invocations
of the same script were possible.

The RTE supported (psuedo)random numbers and wait times, as well as variable
typing speeds.

Since I was testing an application, I did not have to deal with individual
ratios of selects, updates, inserts, commits etc. The application handled
all of that.

The development of an inhouse benchmark - defining the data, scheama, actions -
then testing on several databases and several machines would be very usefull as
an academic (no slash on schools - I went to a couple myself) exercise. But, testing
of the actual application is really where its at.

I can pass along more info.

----------------------
jonathan schnee

303-678-4528

Post by Mark D » Sat, 31 Oct 1992 13:51:01

   Standard benchmarks exist, TPC-a,b,c - but...
           1) They do not accurately model anything but transactions
           2) They are very complicated to run
           3) They are not public domain
   These are the only standard benchmarks I know about. Please let me know
   what else is out there.

Jim Gray (ed.), The Benchmark Handbook for Database and Transaction
Processing Systems. Morgan Kaufmann, 1991.  ISBN 1-55860-159-7.

--Mark Day

1. DBMS Measurement or Benchmark

Hi,

I want to know if there is a (standard) measurement system to define
differences between database systems? To measure for example:
performance, no. of transactions per minute, max. no. users at the same
time.

Thanks in advance

=======
Mega_M
The Netherlands

To reply:
Remove the first two characters "no" from my email address

2. single user mode?

3. DBMS Performance Benchmarks

4. Database engine

5. DBMS benchmarks

6. Functions and SELECT

7. Hypermodel/nonstandard DBMS benchmark

8. Where can I get benchmark test between DBMS?

9. Looking for some BenchMark/Performance software for SQl 7

10. Looking for DELPHI data access BENCHMARKS!

11. Looking for benchmarks

12. Looking for benchmark programs