foundation read question

Post by Maxine Gerb » Sun, 02 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I'm trying to write an application with a foundation read which has multiple windows open at any one time.
The SPR's generated using the screen builder all have a 'release window' following the read, so it seems
I either have to have multiple reads going at once or re-build the screens whenever I cycle through the
foundation read. I must be missing something here. I'm sure this is done all the time.

I'm *not* interested in coding my own SPR's.

Thanks very much in advance. I'm relatively new to this.

foundation read question

Post by Paavo Held » Mon, 10 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> I'm trying to write an application with a foundation read which has multiple windows open at any one time.
> The SPR's generated using the screen builder all have a 'release window' following the read, so it seems
> I either have to have multiple reads going at once or re-build the screens whenever I cycle through the
> foundation read. I must be missing something here. I'm sure this is done all the time.

> I'm *not* interested in coding my own SPR's.

..

  There is a check box "Release windows" in the screen builder dialog
which you have to uncheck. If it is boring to do this every time,
put the stuff into a project - you can uncheck such options permanently
from within the project.

  Note that inhibiting the release of windows only keeps the images
of them on screen, with no interaction capability. The program has to
exit the read anyway before entering the new window read (unless
you want to get 'Too many READs in effect' message soon), via
executing CLEAR READ and returning, or returning .T. from deactivate clause.
When switching back to old window, it is necessary to execute
the screen code again, which gives the GET statements again, there
is no escape of it, if this is what you meant by "re-building the screen".
Launching of right code to be executed is duty of the valid function
of the underlying foundation read, usually accomplished by predefining
an appropriate memory variable in the code which cleared the read.

Hope this helps...

Paavo Helde

foundation read question

Post by FJ40N » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Have you dissected the example foundation read app that came with FoxPro?
It only uses one or READs, but uses an event handler to keep track of
which window is active, what to open, etc.  Simply not releaseing the
windows is a start, but not ready for prime-time.  Check out WinLib pro
from SoftClassics (207) 285-3547.  It was written by Dave Lehr, is one
heck of a library, and VERY solid.  They also have a wizard app that eases
you into building modeless applications.  Also works with GENSCRNX.
Without the wizard it has a bit of a learning curve, but it definitely
helps you to understand more of what foxpro does, and how it does it.  It
also has a very cool browse object, very similar to the grid object coming
in visual foxpro.  It lets you use a browse in a screen set in a similar
manner to the way you'd use any other screen object.
JD

foundation read question

Post by Dave.Con.. » Wed, 12 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Another tip when simulating (and I mean SIMULATING) an event driven interface
with FoxPro;
1. include a function for all the READ deactivate that returns .t. This will
terminate the read when another screen is clicked on. (AT this point the
original READ is dead and the new screens READ begins)
2. Include a function for all READ activate that brings the new screen's READ
back to life.

We used functions that passed in wontop() (and other variables) to a function
that dealt with all our READ screens. That way, all changes can happen in one
place.

This scheme is a little complicated - but it avoids READ escalation .

Wish FP 3.0 had got here 6 months ago... looks like a READ event handler is on
the way.

1. Foundation Read Question

I feel a little silly because this is most probably a very simple question. . .

I'm trying to force an evaluation of the foundation read. Right now I have to
hit {enter} or {leftmouse} to get the read to evaluate its valid statement.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Sheinhouse

2. us-nevada ORACLE CONSULTANT - ORACLE APPLICATION IMPLEMENTATION bw/sd

3. Foundation read question

4. Paradox 5 & Password Protected Table

5. Foundation Read Question

6. VBPJ Readers' Choice Award 1998

7. foundation read question

8. Upgrading 16 bit client to 32 bit??

9. FPW26 Foundation Read novice question

10. Foundation Read and re-cycle reads...

11. foundation reads AND VFP

12. Codebook 2.6 - the foundation read and event handler