reverse engineer an UniVerse database

Post by Sorin Noha » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 05:14:08

Does anybody know of a way or tool to get the tables structure and the
fields from an UniVerse database?

Thanks,
Sorin

Post by Ron » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 08:04:42

> Does anybody know of a way or tool to get the tables structure and the
> fields from an UniVerse database?

> Thanks,
> Sorin

The phrasing of your question leads me to think you are a relational
database user.  If so, you will find the UniVerse database to be a
little alien.  Once you have logged on to the UniVerse database and
gotten to the command prompt type in the command LISTF.  This will
show you a list of files.  Pick a file name and at the command
prompt enter the command LIST DICT filename.  That will show you any
field names that may have been described.  I say [may] because in the
multivalue database world dictionaries are optional.  Most developers
do create dictionaries for the files they create but some do not and
sometimes dictionaries have been corrupted by careless people.

UniVerse documentation is available at http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/u2/

Search for universe documentation.  To determine which version you are
using type .L RELLEVEL at the command prompt.  Field two will tell you
the release level.

Ron White

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

1. Reverse engineering Universe

Has anyone come across a pc product that can create 'pretty'  charts of
files/tables from a Universe database.

My aim is to provide a sexy CD that shows the relationship between files
based on the dictionaries etc for marketing purposes.

I have programmers who can retrieve the details and provide it in a format
acceptable to the pc programme and we have access to Universe on NT and
Unix.

Steve.

2. IL-Schaumberg-100456--ERWin-ORACLE-UNIX-Data Warehousing-Data Warehousing programmer/analyst Prism Warehouse Manager

3. Reverse Engineering / Database Diagram?

4. Parameteirsed queries (again)

5. script to reverse engineer ddl from database

6. *** UNIX SYS ADM./ALL LEVELS/PERMANENT/NYC/SPONSORSHIP *****

7. Reverse engineering PG database

8. OAS 4.0/Differnt ORACLE_HOME

9. How to keep web database from getting reverse-engineered using url parameters

10. Reverse Engineering in Oracle Database

11. Reverse engineer database creation script

12. How to reverse engineer database w/Designer2000?