mvEnterprise user group

Post by Ed Clar » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I am looking to contact mvEnterprise programmers and users with the
intent of forming or joining a user group or mailing list/discussion
group. Anyone interested in starting a group--or if you know about an

mvEnterprise user group

Post by Kevin Powi » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>I am looking to contact mvEnterprise programmers and users with the
>intent of forming or joining a user group or mailing list/discussion
>group. Anyone interested in starting a group--or if you know about an

Ummm... you could try comp.databases.pick  <g>

Kevin Powick
Trident Information Systems
kkp(at)tridentinfosys(dot)com

mvEnterprise user group

Post by Tony Gravagn » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 14:21:51

For general discussions, yes, CDP is good.  For more focused discussions,
some people prefer mail lists.  As an example, the FlashCONNECT group has
been very successful for a long time now.  We get to discuss coding
nuances and techniques, and really investigate topics, without killing the
bandwidth for others who aren't interested in that specific product.

Ed  - If I created and administered the list, would that be acceptable?

BTW, speaking of lists, a few months ago I asked you CDPers if you
preferred lists or usenet.  Not surprisingly, the overwhelming response
was usenet.  Well, because of that I've had 8 list-based discussion groups
that I haven't activated yet.  Seems like a waste.  Sometime in December I
think I'm going to fire those suckers up.

Ciao.
Tony

> >I am looking to contact mvEnterprise programmers and users with the
> >intent of forming or joining a user group or mailing list/discussion
> >group. Anyone interested in starting a group--or if you know about an

> Ummm... you could try comp.databases.pick  <g>

> Kevin Powick
> Trident Information Systems
> kkp(at)tridentinfosys(dot)com

mvEnterprise user group

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Why not create some newsgroups under cdp, for example cdp.d3,
cdp.flashconnect etc? Then they're all grouped neatly together.

I'm not sure how to do it, but put the appropriate paperwork together to
get your lists created as groups, start a discussion then issue a "call
for votes". I would have thought it would go through no problem...

For general discussions, yes, CDP is good.  For more focused
discussions,
some people prefer mail lists.  As an example, the FlashCONNECT group
has
been very successful for a long time now.  We get to discuss coding
nuances and techniques, and really investigate topics, without killing
the
bandwidth for others who aren't interested in that specific product.

Ed  - If I created and administered the list, would that be acceptable?

BTW, speaking of lists, a few months ago I asked you CDPers if you
preferred lists or usenet.  Not surprisingly, the overwhelming response
was usenet.  Well, because of that I've had 8 list-based discussion
groups
that I haven't activated yet.  Seems like a waste.  Sometime in December
think I'm going to fire those suckers up.

Ciao.
Tony

> >I am looking to contact mvEnterprise programmers and users with the
> >intent of forming or joining a user group or mailing list/discussion
> >group. Anyone interested in starting a group--or if you know about an

> Ummm... you could try comp.databases.pick  <g>

> Kevin Powick
> Trident Information Systems
> kkp(at)tridentinfosys(dot)com

mvEnterprise user group

Post by Kevin Powi » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 12:11:51 -0000, "Anthony W. Youngman"

>Why not create some newsgroups under cdp, for example cdp.d3,
>cdp.flashconnect etc? Then they're all grouped neatly together.

>I'm not sure how to do it, but put the appropriate paperwork together to
>get your lists created as groups, start a discussion then issue a "call
>for votes". I would have thought it would go through no problem...

My only concern with this idea is that there doesn't appear to be
enough area-specific content to warrant extra groups.

On average, I'm seeing 20 to 40 posts per day in CDP.  This includes
posts for the all the different flavours of MVDBs as well as
third-party products and add-ons.  Why create sub-groups that will
just mean more places to look for answers as well as the numerous
cross-postings that it will surely generate?

Kevin Powick
Trident Information Systems
kkp(at)tridentinfosys(dot)com

mvEnterprise user group

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

But if the alternative is mailing lists, then from my perspective the
alternative is worse... I much prefer news, and am not on the U2 mailing
lists. Plus at home I have filtering on groups - you can't do that with
lists :-(

Post by Pete Jewel » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> But if the alternative is mailing lists, then from my perspective the
> alternative is worse... I much prefer news, and am not on the U2 mailing
> lists. Plus at home I have filtering on groups - you can't do that with
> lists :-(

You didn't /really/ mean to say that, did you Anthony?  Even LookOut has
message filtering... (although not as fancy as say, procmail).

--
Pete Jewell
Example Systems Ltd.

mvEnterprise user group

Post by Ed Clar » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Yes, the idea of the original post was to get together with mvEnterprise
users for more in depth discussion which would probably bore anyone not
using the product. Tony, if you have the resources to maintain such a
list, I'd be proud to be on it.

> For general discussions, yes, CDP is good.  For more focused discussions,
> some people prefer mail lists.
> Ed  - If I created and administered the list, would that be acceptable?

mvEnterprise user group

Post by Kevin Powi » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:33:04 -0000, "Anthony W. Youngman"

>But if the alternative is mailing lists, then from my perspective the
>alternative is worse... I much prefer news, and am not on the U2 mailing
>lists. Plus at home I have filtering on groups - you can't do that with
>lists :-(

If the alternative is mailing lists, then I agree.  Newsgroups are
better for me.

Kevin Powick
Trident Information Systems
kkp(at)tridentinfosys(dot)com

mvEnterprise user group

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I didn't express myself very well. Most of the newsgroups at home are
set to "download headers only by default". Bearing in mind I run
Turnpike as a proper SMTP server, you can't download mail headers only
in SMTP mode ...

By the way, which Lookout are you talking about? I run 98 (off Exchange
Server) at work, and its capabilities are DIRE!