i need some help

Post by Stefan Tomcz » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 22:24:46

Hello out there,

i have to decide, how to develope a database.

as you will know, there are much possibilities, but i also have to
follow some general conditions.

I think as a DBMS i will decide between MySQL or PostGreSQL. But my
problems consists of the tools and possibilities with which the user
must communicate with the database.
I think there are two things possible. Either i program a GUI with
Java and the access to the database will run over a driver or
something like that, or i take the way through a browser and scripting
languages like php4 or perl.

But i have to mind that there shoul be manuals or books, to which i
can refer, because i would have to learn these tools while
programming. Besides the software should be out of charge. If anybody
knew, which way would be "the best" i would be very pleased to hear
from you.

Where can i find all these things that are needed?!

With best regards,

Stefan from Leipzig, Germany.

i need some help

Post by Clemens Schul » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 19:30:15

Quote:> I think there are two things possible. Either i program a GUI with
> Java and the access to the database will run over a driver or
> something like that, or i take the way through a browser and
scripting
> languages like php4 or perl.

You can also create native applications using c/c++/delphi, etc.

Quote:> But i have to mind that there shoul be manuals or books, to which
> can refer, because i would have to learn these tools while
> programming. Besides the software should be out of charge. If
anybody
> knew, which way would be "the best" i would be very pleased to
hear
> from you.

You are on the internet. Freeely available resources usually find
their way to the internet.

Use www.deja.com and www.google.com to locate them. Using those you
will stumble about perl, php, java, etc. documentation, opinions
about when to use what, etc., etc.

take this route:

- decide wether local or web client (the latter requires a server
with the software installed, unless you take a very obscure
approach)

- consider which tools to use based on your investigations about
what is freely available, what is rather expensive to develop with
as far as time is concerned (i consider java swing gui programming
to be excessively expensive for example, unless you have very low
requirements), what is well documented, what is in widespread use,
etc.

--

With best regards

Clemens Schulz

1. Delete a group of data, NEED NEED Help

hi

Below is a program that i wrote in coldfusion to delete the record. However
this program can't delete a large group of record. I know we can write sql
statement to delete those records. Please help. Here is a program i wrote in
coldfusion. This program is to delete all the phonecalls and accounts if
(condition1) accouns that have no creditavailable and (condition2) those
accounts didn't made any phonecalls since 4/2000.

The condition2 is to make sure that some accounts just turn into $0 credit
yesterday and still active. We need to delete account and it phonecalls that
is no longer in use (these accounts is like calling cards).

There are only two tables relate to each other. Your help would be very
appreciate. David

Accout table: accountid, lastname, firtname, creditavailable
Phonecall table: Phonecallid, time, accountid

<cfquery name="GetAccountID" datasource="1world">
 select AccountID from Account where CreditAvailable =0
</cfquery>
<cfset myArray = ArrayNew(1)>
<cfset count = 1>
<cfoutput query="GetAccountID">
 <cfset myArray[count]='#AccountID#'>
 <cfset count = count+1>
 <!--- my array is #AccountID#<br> --->
</cfoutput>
<cfset record = 0>
<cfloop index="i" from="1" to="50">
 <cfquery name="GetMax" datasource="1world">
  select max(time) as MaxTime from Phonecall where AccountID =
'#myArray[i]#'
 </cfquery>
 <cfoutput query="GetMax">
  <cfset Max = MaxTime>
 </cfoutput>
 <cfif Max LTE '3/31/2000'>
  <cfquery name="DeleteAccount" datasource="1world">
   delete from Account where AccountID = #myArray[i]#
  </cfquery>
  <cfquery name="DeletePhonecall" datasource="1world">
   delete from Phonecall where AccountID = #myArray[i]#
  </cfquery>
  <cfset record = record+1>
 <cfelse>
 </cfif>
</cfloop>
<cfoutput>Total #record# has been deleted.</cfoutput>

2. How to move an oracle8i installation to another host

3. I need your help...pleeeeeaaaaaaase, help me !!!!!!!

4. DEC Alpha?

5. Help needed for Help Construction!!

6. Incompatibilities between Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual Basic 3.0.

7. need some help please sent any help to e.wiersma@a1.nl

8. Perl library/scripts for html -> MySQL?

9. Urgent help needed please help

10. HELP, I need Somebody, HELP :)) - SQL

11. Need Help helping another

12. DATABASE..30 Fields Needed...HELP HELP

13. Need Foxpro HELP!!Will give program for help.