FW Pick Fils structure exampe..

Post by Steve Ka » Fri, 27 May 1994 15:18:05

Since it looks like we here might have a few people willing and wanting
to do this, I'll make the stuff I worked on last year available for
people to look at.  What I started to do was write a class library thjat
dealt with the basics of the pick filestructure.  It only handles Items
and attributes (I think - I really don't remember), and not values or
sub-values, and it is really most ineffecient, but I think that the
interface was easy to use, and logical.

It also didn't work quite right -- I had problems that I never got
around to fixing haviong to do with when an attribute or item ended on
or just after a frame boundary. (because I didn't make seperate
delimiters for attributes and items, I think).

Anyways, I'm sending myself mail so I can put the stuff up tomorrow (the
site where the sources are is powered downat night).  The site where I
will put them is  gary.cooper.edu:/pub/users/stevek/pick/whatever I
decide to name it.  I am sure I'll leave a README there or something
with a little explanation.  It was all done in C++, as part of a group
project.  It uses templates and lots of other stuff for which compiler
support is still not quite up to*(at least it wasn't when I tried
to make the damn thing -- what a pain in the butt!).

anyways, if anyone is interested, take a look.  And please DO NOT tell
me how awful the code is -- I already know.

--
- Steve

FW Pick Fils structure exampe..

Post by Steve Ka » Sat, 28 May 1994 02:57:11

Okay, I have put it online.

The code is there, as well as some of the documentation I wrote.

I know I had more detailed docs (It was a group project, and I had to
explain to the othersa in my group how to use the stuff), but I can't
seem to find it.  But the code is reasonable well-commented, and the
header files I think I wrote to serve as docs.  Most of the pick stuff
is in sdkarr.[Ch] and db.{Ch}

by the way -- gary is a linux machine :)
(but I think it says that in the ftp hello message).

have fun!

: - Steve

--
- Steve

FW Pick Fils structure exampe..

Post by Garrett Hildebra » Sat, 28 May 1994 13:41:31

Quote:> Okay, I have put it online.
> The code is there, as well as some of the documentation I wrote.

I got all of the stuff there, but found that mget was not working
correctly for some reason, also, the connection was sluggish, perhaps
because it is cross-country?

In any case, I have tar'ed it all up and put it in the following location
for anybody on the west coast who wants quicker access:

        ftp.ca.mdis.com
        anonymous
        your email-id as pswd

        cd pub/gdh
        look for kann.tar.Z

> I know I had more detailed docs (It was a group project, and I had to
> explain to the othersa in my group how to use the stuff), but I can't
> seem to find it.  But the code is reasonable well-commented, and the
> header files I think I wrote to serve as docs.  Most of the pick stuff
> is in sdkarr.[Ch] and db.{Ch}
> by the way -- gary is a linux machine :)
> (but I think it says that in the ftp hello message).
> have fun!
> : - Steve

> --
> - Steve

18881 Von Karman, Ste 1800, Irvine CA 92715-1589 \______ Tel: 714 724-5736
"Your message... sums up life exactly." - M Easterbrook \Fax: 714 724-5610

Post by Steve Ka » Sat, 28 May 1994 14:06:51

: > Okay, I have put it online.

: > The code is there, as well as some of the documentation I wrote.

: I got all of the stuff there, but found that mget was not working
: correctly for some reason, also, the connection was sluggish, perhaps
: because it is cross-country?

It was most likely because we use PSI as out network provider, and
although we just moved up to a fractional t1 (3*56K) from a 56K, PSI's
routers tend to forget where we are every few milliseconds, resulting in
a lot of dropped packets -- we keep complaining, but nothing really
happens.

Or else it could have been that there were 3 people logged in doing X
stuff (one on the console), and it was running some batches at the time,
and doing a lot of swapping in it's measly 8 megs.  But it was probably
PSI's fault -- I get crappy network performance from or to every machine
at the site at times.

I was thinking of offering gary as the possible home site for the
project, because I was unsure if anyone else involved had access to open
up public ftp space, but since gary really has only a few megs free
(like 15), if someone else has room, it would be probably better off
somewhere else.

--
- Steve