Converting Memos/Memo fields

Post by The Page » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am working on a project in which I am converting tables from FP 2.6 to a
new application in VFP 6.0.

I converted most of the tables through the Import wizard by first converting
the FP 2.6 tables to Excel and then importing them into my database.  The
problem is Memo fields do not convert in this manner.  I then tried doing a
SQL Update from the old table to update the memo field but this doesn't seem
to work either.

Is is possible to convert the memo data over to my new database?

Thanks for the help,

    Gordy

Converting Memos/Memo fields

Post by Craig Berntso » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Fox 2.6 tables can be read directly from VFP 6.0. You don't need to go
through Excel.

--

Craig Berntson
Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

Quote:>I am working on a project in which I am converting tables from FP 2.6 to a
>new application in VFP 6.0.

>I converted most of the tables through the Import wizard by first
converting
>the FP 2.6 tables to Excel and then importing them into my database.  The
>problem is Memo fields do not convert in this manner.  I then tried doing a
>SQL Update from the old table to update the memo field but this doesn't
seem
>to work either.

>Is is possible to convert the memo data over to my new database?

>Thanks for the help,

>    Gordy

Converting Memos/Memo fields

Post by Anders Altber » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi Gordy
You can use FP2 tables as they are in VFP. They'll be converted to VFP type
tables only if you add them to a VFP database. VFP distinguishes database
and data table. They will also be converted if you MODIFY STRUCTURE. Unless
you've included one of the new data types, Datetime, Integer or Double, or
NULLable fields, in the modification, any VFP table can be converted without
loss  to the old format with COPY TO newtable TYPE FOX2X.
SYS(2029) returns the table type.
-Anders

>I am working on a project in which I am converting tables from FP 2.6 to a
>new application in VFP 6.0.

>I converted most of the tables through the Import wizard by first
converting
>the FP 2.6 tables to Excel and then importing them into my database.  The
>problem is Memo fields do not convert in this manner.  I then tried doing a
>SQL Update from the old table to update the memo field but this doesn't
seem
>to work either.

>Is is possible to convert the memo data over to my new database?

>Thanks for the help,

>    Gordy

Converting Memos/Memo fields

Post by Glen Mettle » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

????? I am confused??? VFP6 will open and use FP2.6 directly.  All you have to
do is copy the tables to the new directory and then add them to the VFP6 DBC.
Am I missing something here?

Glen

> I am working on a project in which I am converting tables from FP 2.6 to a
> new application in VFP 6.0.

> I converted most of the tables through the Import wizard by first converting
> the FP 2.6 tables to Excel and then importing them into my database.  The
> problem is Memo fields do not convert in this manner.  I then tried doing a
> SQL Update from the old table to update the memo field but this doesn't seem
> to work either.

> Is is possible to convert the memo data over to my new database?

> Thanks for the help,

>     Gordy

Converting Memos/Memo fields

Post by The Page » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am converting the FP 2.6 tables to a different table structure in VFP 6.0.

I used the Import wizard as a first past to convert the tables because I was
lazy and didn't want to write all the SQL INSERT code.

The Import wizard was slow but it worked fine except for converting the Memo
fields.  I wrote a SQL UPDATE script to update the Memo field from my FP 2.6
table to my new VFP 6.0 table but that did not seem to work.

Someone suggusted converting the FP 2.6 table to 6.0 first and then try
doing the SQL UPDATE.  I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

>????? I am confused??? VFP6 will open and use FP2.6 directly.  All you have
>do is copy the tables to the new directory and then add them to the VFP6
DBC.
>Am I missing something here?

>Glen

1. Converting *.DBT memo to HyperSix *.SMT memo

Converting *.DBT memo to HyperSix *.SMT memo

Can I use both the *.DBT and *.SMT driver DLL's at once?

"How do I convert my existing dBASE or Paradox tables and indexes into
formats that APOLLO can use?"

Luxent, producers of Apollo say:

"The easiest way to convert your existing dBASE or Paradox tables to
one of APOLLO's formats (FoxPro, Clipper, or HiPer-SIx) would be to
use the BDE to export the existing tables to an ASCII file
(comma-delimited or space-delimited (SDF) format).  The resulting
ASCII file can then be imported into a pre-built empty table structure
using TApollo.AppendFrom .
You can create the destination table structure programmatically using
TApollo.CreateNew .  The CREATOR sample program (located in
.\APOLLO\SAMPLES\CREATOR) can also be used.  It is
There is no need to convert your existing index files, as they will
just be created new using APOLLO's Index and IndexTag methods. "

    ===================================
    But what about the memos ? ! !!!!!!
    ===================================

How do I convert existing data in a xBase *.dbt memo file to the new
HyperSix *.SMT memo format. Ascii delimited? Large
memos can be up to 64k per line! The memo data is important and cannot
be "lost" in the conversion, so how can I upgrade from one file format
to the other.

Anybody else come across this issue?

Please email me. I thankfully reply.

Sorry, I do not have a return address in my message header to avoid
the email gathering robots. Please cut and paste my email from here

2. Dynamic SQL

3. Converting VFP memo fields to SQL Server text fields

4. Q: Are you a Pessimist or an Optimist

5. converting alpha field to memo fields

6. US-MD-VA-DC - COBOL, DB2 & CICS

7. Converting FOX Memo Field to Oracle CLOB field using SQL

8. Fox 2.6 DOS and Visual Foxpro

9. Converting Memo fields back to Text fields

10. What is the syntax for copy a memo to a database memo field

11. Indentation of memo fields - reports vs. modify memo

12. How to convert memo field from MsAccess...

13. Converting .DBF Memo field