RDS and Secure Site?

Post by Chris Both » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 00:33:44

Hi,

If I use RDS and the data is on an https:// server, will my data be
encrypted? (Hope so). Any links to articles on this?

RDS and Secure Site?

Post by Carl Prothma » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:33:54

Quote:> If I use RDS and the data is on an https:// server, will my data be
> encrypted? (Hope so). Any links to articles on this?

Chris,
Yes, using HTTPS (SSL), your data will be encrypted.

For the RDS DataSpace:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/rdsm6pre.htm

You can also use HTTPS with the RDS DataControl.

Carl Prothman
Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
http://www.able-consulting.com

RDS and Secure Site?

Post by Chris Both » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:22:55

Hi Carl,

Good stuff. And this is also true for the DataControl obj:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/rdsp73jk.htm

Thanks,

Chris.

> > If I use RDS and the data is on an https:// server, will my data be
> > encrypted? (Hope so). Any links to articles on this?

> Chris,
> Yes, using HTTPS (SSL), your data will be encrypted.

> For the RDS DataSpace:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/rdsm6pre.htm

> You can also use HTTPS with the RDS DataControl.

> --

> Thanks,
> Carl Prothman
> Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
> http://www.able-consulting.com

RDS and Secure Site?

Post by Dave » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:55:23

Any issues over HTTPS for the same app. running over HTTP?  Such as problems
that don't occur over HTTP, or large performance differences?

Thanks,
Dave
(Due to connectivity issues at a client site, please Cc:

> > If I use RDS and the data is on an https:// server, will my data be
> > encrypted? (Hope so). Any links to articles on this?

> Chris,
> Yes, using HTTPS (SSL), your data will be encrypted.

> For the RDS DataSpace:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/rdsm6pre.htm

> You can also use HTTPS with the RDS DataControl.

> --

> Thanks,
> Carl Prothman
> Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
> http://www.able-consulting.com

RDS and Secure Site?

Post by Carl Prothma » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 02:27:11

Quote:> Any issues over HTTPS for the same app. running over HTTP?  Such as
problems
> that don't occur over HTTP, or large performance differences?

Dave,
There is about a 10% (or more) performance hit when using HTTPS
The HTTPS port must be open for proxy server.
RDS doesn't support Client Certificates.

Carl Prothman
Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
http://www.able-consulting.com

RDS and Secure Site?

Post by Dave » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 05:05:27

Thanks once again Carl.  FWIW, the 10% figure is what I've been told by
other (less experienced) folks as well.

We only want HTTPS for the encryption, so client certs. are not a problem.

Other than:
- Getting the server cert.,
- Setting up the current HTTP IIS Site to use it,
- Opening up a proxy port and
- Changing where the RDS.DataSpace.CreateObject() points

it should pretty much be plug-and-play, right (this is a VB client using
DataSpace to call custom business objects)?

- Dave

> > Any issues over HTTPS for the same app. running over HTTP?  Such as
> problems
> > that don't occur over HTTP, or large performance differences?

> Dave,
> There is about a 10% (or more) performance hit when using HTTPS
> The HTTPS port must be open for proxy server.
> RDS doesn't support Client Certificates.

> --

> Thanks,
> Carl Prothman
> Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
> http://www.able-consulting.com

RDS and Secure Site?

Post by Carl Prothma » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 05:26:36

Dave,
The only other thing to watch out for is if you create your own Server
Certificate using your Certification Authority (CA) via IIS's certificate
utility.   Since users will not have your CA on their machine, there is a
one-time install (by browsing to your CA web page) for each client machine.
After that, then that user can use HTTPS to your web site.

Of course if you buy a Server Certificate from Verisign
(http://www.verisign.com/products/site/index.html), then their CA is already
installed (via IE).

I also would go with 128-bit SSL encryption.

Carl Prothman
Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
http://www.able-consulting.com

> Thanks once again Carl.  FWIW, the 10% figure is what I've been told by
> other (less experienced) folks as well.

> We only want HTTPS for the encryption, so client certs. are not a problem.

> Other than:
> - Getting the server cert.,
> - Setting up the current HTTP IIS Site to use it,
> - Opening up a proxy port and
> - Changing where the RDS.DataSpace.CreateObject() points

> it should pretty much be plug-and-play, right (this is a VB client using
> DataSpace to call custom business objects)?

> - Dave

> > > Any issues over HTTPS for the same app. running over HTTP?  Such as
> > problems
> > > that don't occur over HTTP, or large performance differences?

> > Dave,
> > There is about a 10% (or more) performance hit when using HTTPS
> > The HTTPS port must be open for proxy server.
> > RDS doesn't support Client Certificates.

> > --

> > Thanks,
> > Carl Prothman
> > Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
> > http://www.able-consulting.com

1. Truble with IDC/HTX on a secure site.

I have install a secure id wiht verysing on IIS 3.0 and win NT 4.0.

It's work fine exept one thing.
if somebody can help me!!!

Show this....

If i take my form idc on a non secure part of my site, it's work fine.

If you want to try.

The bad result on the secure part of my site.
https://www.dynagram.com/prive/test.html  ==> it's return http/1.0 501
Not supporte

And the good result on a non secure part of my site and if you try the
same form at
http://www.dynagram.com/limit/test1.html ==> you have the result.

Thank for your attention. If i find first the solution i send to you the

anser..

I think that maibe microsoft have not developpe SSL option for IDC/HTX?

Bye

2. Is security at the database possible?

3. Unable to Access Secure Sites

4. Best practice for connections

5. problems with secure sites

6. Modifying sysobjects to update replinfo

7. Secure transfer between SQL7 and web site help?

8. PL/SQL help needed

9. Oracle's e-commerce site is not secure

10. RDS 2.5 - How to use RDS to get and maintain data on a Remote Server

11. RDS + IIS5 + RDS DataControl

12. Speed of Indexes between RDS 6.04 and RDS 4.20

13. Compiling 4GL code in RDS 6.00 is not like RDS 4.00