Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

Post by Mecki Forthman » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 05:56:23

Hi,

I have D3, uv10pe and jBASE installed on my home PC running Win2K.
I would like to put icons on the desktop where I can start the services, and
open Accuterm with the right session with a simple double click instead of
having to start the services manually.
I don't want them to start automatically when I boot the machine since I
don't use them that often (performance?) and don't want to have to stop them
every time before I shut the machine down.
Does anyone know, if that can be done with a batch file or script, and if
so, what syntax or the switches for the d3vme.exe (or any other services for
that matter) are to start the service?

Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

Post by Mecki Forthman » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 06:07:27

Forget it, I've figured it out by myself.

sorry, jumped the gun

Quote:> Hi,

> I have D3, uv10pe and jBASE installed on my home PC running Win2K.
> I would like to put icons on the desktop where I can start the services,
and
> open Accuterm with the right session with a simple double click instead of
> having to start the services manually.
> I don't want them to start automatically when I boot the machine since I
> don't use them that often (performance?) and don't want to have to stop
them
> every time before I shut the machine down.
> Does anyone know, if that can be done with a batch file or script, and if
> so, what syntax or the switches for the d3vme.exe (or any other services
for
> that matter) are to start the service?

Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

Post by Darren » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 05:26:18

Would you care to share in your findings as I am interested!
Thanks in Advance.
--
Darren E
MCP, CCA

Remove the x if you wish to respond personally.

> Forget it, I've figured it out by myself.

> sorry, jumped the gun

> > Hi,

> > I have D3, uv10pe and jBASE installed on my home PC running Win2K.
> > I would like to put icons on the desktop where I can start the services,
> and
> > open Accuterm with the right session with a simple double click instead
of
> > having to start the services manually.
> > I don't want them to start automatically when I boot the machine since I
> > don't use them that often (performance?) and don't want to have to stop
> them
> > every time before I shut the machine down.
> > Does anyone know, if that can be done with a batch file or script, and
if
> > so, what syntax or the switches for the d3vme.exe (or any other services
> for
> > that matter) are to start the service?

Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

Post by K. Powic » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 06:10:54

d3vme.exe {/options [start, stop,kill])

d3vme /start

d3vm3.exe found in ../d3Programs directory.

K. Powick

> Would you care to share in your findings as I am interested!
> Thanks in Advance.
> --
> Darren E
> MCP, CCA

Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

Post by David Knigh » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 06:26:48

I'm told it would be:

net start d3vme

placed in a batch file, which is then stored somewhere in the PATH (eg:
WINDOWS\SYSTEM). Create a shortcut to the that batch file on the desktop &
viola.

This method tells the Service to start. Might do the same thing as d3vme.exe
/start; but I'm not sure.

David

> Would you care to share in your findings as I am interested!
> Thanks in Advance.

>> Forget it, I've figured it out by myself.

>> sorry, jumped the gun

>>> Hi,

>>> I have D3, uv10pe and jBASE installed on my home PC running Win2K.
>>> I would like to put icons on the desktop where I can start the
>>> services, and open Accuterm with the right session with a simple
>>> double click instead of having to start the services manually.
>>> I don't want them to start automatically when I boot the machine
>>> since I don't use them that often (performance?) and don't want to
>>> have to stop them every time before I shut the machine down.
>>> Does anyone know, if that can be done with a batch file or script,
>>> and if so, what syntax or the switches for the d3vme.exe (or any
>>> other services for that matter) are to start the service?

Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

Post by Mecki Forthman » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 06:01:40

I created a batch file with the following lines:
cd d:\program files\d3\d3programs
net start d3vme
cd D:\Program Files\Atwin
Atwin2k.exe d3

You will have to change the paths to the ones on your system and the
Atwin2k.exe to the session you use.
Then I created a shortcut to that batch file, set it to run it minimised and
copied it to the desktop.
I also set the shortcut up to use one of the D3 icons - looks really cool.
OK I get a whatchamacallit on the task bar, but I can live with that.

I tried the same thing with the jBASE services (jlicenseserver and telnetd),
but they won't start with net start.
UV has a facility that starts and stops all the services which is also good
enough for me.

Mecki

> Would you care to share in your findings as I am interested!
> Thanks in Advance.

>> Forget it, I've figured it out by myself.

>> sorry, jumped the gun

>>> Hi,

>>> I have D3, uv10pe and jBASE installed on my home PC running Win2K.
>>> I would like to put icons on the desktop where I can start the
>>> services, and open Accuterm with the right session with a simple
>>> double click instead of having to start the services manually.
>>> I don't want them to start automatically when I boot the machine
>>> since I don't use them that often (performance?) and don't want to
>>> have to stop them every time before I shut the machine down.
>>> Does anyone know, if that can be done with a batch file or script,
>>> and if so, what syntax or the switches for the d3vme.exe (or any
>>> other services for that matter) are to start the service?

Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

Post by Tony Gravagn » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 06:55:02

Yes, "net start d3vme" as the only line in a BAT file is all that's
needed.  "d3vme /start" in the BAT file won't work.  (See below)  From
the command line that also starts the VME in the foreground, which
isn't desirable on a production system.

My desktop shortcut is set to "Start In C:\WinNT".  Does anyone know
if that would be a problem in a production system?

The BAT file doesn't need to be in a PATH directory either.  Are there
ramifications of putting the BAT in a non-PATH directory?  If your BAT
is in the D3 Programs directory and the Start In is set to that
directory as well, then "d3vme /start" might work to launch the VME in
the foreground.  I didn't check this.

BTW, on my system I use the icon from "\D3 Programs\D3Active.exe".
It's nicer on the desktop than the standard BAT icon.

Tony

http://ithinkiconithinkiconNebula-RnD.com.invalid
(remove anything before Nebula and after .com)

>I'm told it would be:

>net start d3vme

>placed in a batch file, which is then stored somewhere in the PATH (eg:
>WINDOWS\SYSTEM). Create a shortcut to the that batch file on the desktop &
>viola.

>This method tells the Service to start. Might do the same thing as d3vme.exe
>/start; but I'm not sure.

>David

Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

Post by David Knigh » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 07:43:18

<snip>
Quote:> The BAT file doesn't need to be in a PATH directory either.  Are there
> ramifications of putting the BAT in a non-PATH directory?

<snip>

On reflection, you are probably right. Perhaps the reason is that if the
shortcut gets deleted; you could always go Start --> Run, type the batch
file name in the dialog box & it would run.

Starting D3 VME service in NT from desktop

Post by INGESCO Sistemas Inform├ítico » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:45:45

Make a .BAT file...

net start "D3 Virtual Machine Environment"
cd e:\Program Files\Atwin
Atwin2k.exe pickd3

Marcos Alonso Vega

1. Starting/Stopping VME/ODBC service from NT Command Prompt

Can anyone help me?

I'm trying to setup a batch file which can be executed from the command
prompt to stop and start the D3 NT VME and ODBC services in one go. I have
managed to stop the services fine with :

d3vme /stop
d3odbcsv /stop

but starting them up again does not seem to work!

Richard Cross
J&M Systems (UK) Ltd

2. FoxPro Windows and Betreive

3. problem with d3 95 VME not starting intermittently

4. Need a good query for calculating cumulative totals

5. D3/NT VME space problems

6. Migrating ESSBASE

7. D3 ODBC and VME deaths on NT

8. Porting from SQL anywhere to SQL Server (Alternative for functions)

9. D3/NT VME startup problem

10. D3/NT vme restores

11. be carefull resizing vme d3/nt

12. disk performance using FSI on D3/NT is slower than VME

13. d3/nt VME items to dos/window?