New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by Jeff Caspar » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 07:20:23

> > Here's my peeve:
> > RD - Stop spending your money, time and energy marketing in Spectrum and
> > Databasetrends.  Stop the mailers and emails inside our community.
> > Market to the mainstream.

> When there's growing disaffection with Informix because they don't
> understand what they have in U2? I can't think of a better time to preach
> the choir myself. A great time to consolidate by absorbing customers who
> don't have to be taught the benefits of the MV model.

> Luke

It's a big world out there.  To go after a few U2 clients that might jump
ship is thinking way too small.  That's hopefully not RD's goal.
Jeff

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by Glen Batchel » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 07:28:11

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:39:16 GMT, "Michael Spencer"

>Ok, that's 2 bad choices for Pick; D3 and Raining Data.  Your company name
>should not need an explanation - it should be generic and invoke an image
>that everyone instantly recognizes.  Omnis is a perfect name for a company
>and would have been perfect for the enterprise.  Go ahead and name the
>products D3 and V3 or S3 or whatever, but the company name should not be
>anything like Raining Data (mayhem, raining from where?, messy)., it should
>be something simple, 1-syllable, like OMNIS.

Omnis is one syllable? *shaking head*

       Glen

>> Count me in with those that like the name change. I don't try to analyze
>it, it
>> just feels good to me to see/hear all the good things that are happening
>in our
>> world.

>> Another reason it may be easier for me to adjust is that several years ago
>> switched from Pick to D3 ;-).

>> Jeff Burslem

>> >Because of being involved with some internal workings with Pick I was
>exposed
>> >to the
>> >new corporate name - Raining Data - many months ago. I have to admit when
>> >first
>> >heard the name I thought someone was kidding, but after hearing the
>reasoning
>> >behind
>> >it and hearing the name to the point of getting used to it, saying it in
>many
>> >business conversations, seeing the logo, etc. I have to say that I now
>> >approve of
>> >this new name for Pick Systems and have grown very accustom to it.

>> >I remember when Vmark and Unidata merged into a company named - Ardent -
>and
>> >how
>> >unaccepted that name seemed at first. In no time it seems "Ardent" became
>> >very
>> >valuable brand and a very respected name in the marketplace.

>> >I have been in the "Pick" business doing one thing or another for over 20
>> >years and
>> >I remember time and time again trying to explain the name "Pick" and I am
>> >very glad
>> >to see it replaced with a more generic name. Don't get me wrong, I am
>very
>> >proud of
>> >being involved with Pick-like systems and I am not downgrading the market
>in
>> >any
>> >way.

>> >I realize that I had a head start on getting used to the name and predict
>> >that it
>> >will become accepted as "Ardent" did in the past.

>> >OK - Now I've said it so let it fly!

>> >Pat Gilbrough
>> >Management Information Tools, Inc.
>> >http://www.veryComputer.com/

>in
>the
>> >new
>> >organization
>the

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by Rick » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 07:47:56

Quote:> I think they picked Raining Data because Smuckers was taken:)

ROFLMAO!

--
Ricky Ginsburg can be reached at:

Post by BobJ » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 18:20:05

Quote:> Omnis is one syllable? *shaking head*

It is if you are from New Joisey.

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by Richard Kan » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 23:52:22

You're from Joisey. I'm from Joisey too. What exit?

Rick

> > Omnis is one syllable? *shaking head*
> It is if you are from New Joisey.

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by p.. » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 02:06:18

Quote:> When I first saw this Raining Data thing I thought that it must be
> some sort of codeword for a future release.  Now that it has become
> their corporate name it reminds of the old 'dancing girls' era some
> time back.  Did they maybe hire back the marketing group?  Generally a
> company does some test marketing before they do a name change.  My
> thought is that the marketing sample was performed at the San Diego
> Zoo.  Or am I insulting the animals too much?  I'm not sure even*
> Pick himself could come up with something this bad.  Did* really
> pass on, or is he just Raining Data?

I believe the most common expression is "Raining cats and dogs." (No
insult to the * critters intended). "Raining data" sounds
disorganized at worst, an ill-intentioned effort to be "cute" at best.

When all is said and done I'd rather borrow the line from the
play "Gemini" - "I'm not hungry, I'll just pick."

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.veryComputer.com/

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by BobJ » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 03:22:08

Actually I'm from California, but I spent a year in Joisey one weekend. :)
BobJ

Post by Steve Done » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 04:11:59

> > When I first saw this Raining Data thing I thought that it must be
> > some sort of codeword for a future release.  Now that it has become
> > their corporate name it reminds of the old 'dancing girls' era some
> > time back.  Did they maybe hire back the marketing group?  Generally a
> > company does some test marketing before they do a name change.  My
> > thought is that the marketing sample was performed at the San Diego
> > Zoo.  Or am I insulting the animals too much?  I'm not sure even*
> > Pick himself could come up with something this bad.  Did* really
> > pass on, or is he just Raining Data?

> I believe the most common expression is "Raining cats and dogs." (No
> insult to the * critters intended). "Raining data" sounds
> disorganized at worst, an ill-intentioned effort to be "cute" at best.

> When all is said and done I'd rather borrow the line from the
> play "Gemini" - "I'm not hungry, I'll just pick."

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

Surely it's a pun on 'Reigning Data'

Steve

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by Madib » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 14:44:12

What is all the fuss about the name Rainingdata . Underneath it is the
exceptional products .

> > When I first saw this Raining Data thing I thought that it must be
> > some sort of codeword for a future release.  Now that it has become
> > their corporate name it reminds of the old 'dancing girls' era some
> > time back.  Did they maybe hire back the marketing group?  Generally a
> > company does some test marketing before they do a name change.  My
> > thought is that the marketing sample was performed at the San Diego
> > Zoo.  Or am I insulting the animals too much?  I'm not sure even*
> > Pick himself could come up with something this bad.  Did* really
> > pass on, or is he just Raining Data?

> I believe the most common expression is "Raining cats and dogs." (No
> insult to the * critters intended). "Raining data" sounds
> disorganized at worst, an ill-intentioned effort to be "cute" at best.

> When all is said and done I'd rather borrow the line from the
> play "Gemini" - "I'm not hungry, I'll just pick."

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by p.. » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 02:38:36

Quote:> What is all the fuss about the name Rainingdata . Underneath it is the
> exceptional products .

Obviously a matter of opinion here, but I think the point is that the
name should somehow or other be more pursuasive, positive instead of
one that provides so many discussions of how absurd it is!

"Oracle" for example - while abstract in and of itself, knowing the
function of the historical oracles as places where one would obtain
wisdom or insights after a consultation with the gods gives the name a
lot of power and historical weight. Often firms are named for their
founders or partners "Pick Systems" - Even the other partner going
into "Raining Data" had a better sounding name of "Omnis Technology."
I still stand by my original comment below. My $.02 cents worth.

Quote:> > "Raining data" sounds

http://www.deja.com/