New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by Primu » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Just to let you know that a new Mailing List has been started.
This is to complement the Newsgroup. Most programmers and
PICK users do not have access to the News Group. So a Mailing list
is the only option for them.

Please DO mail a copy of any Jobs or announcements to the Mailing list.

Below are some of the details to use the mailing list.
To subscribe from this group, send a blank email to:

Then to Post a message:

Also please encourage your pick collegues to join the list be sending a blank email to:

Other Addresses:

URL to this Group: http://www.egroups.com/group/PICK-users

Regards

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by Michael Spence » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

This is getting too complicated!  There seems to be many places now that
want to be the definitive place to go for Pick/MV news.  Your idea is a good
one and eGroups is a good product, though a regular mailing list would be
better. The problem is that we all have to agree on who the "umbrella"
organization will be.  I belive OSDA is also trying to do that.  Also, Pick
proper says that they are coming out with a mailing list for their products.

I applaud your effort, but I think the proper way to go about this is for
the revelation, prime, pick, omnis newsgroups to continue, the Omnis mailing
list to continue, the new Pick mailing list to start up, and finally, OSDA
should create an all-encompassing mailing list for all things MV.  They
seemed to have expressed an interest and are organized enought to accomplish
this.

My 2 cents.

Michael

Hi,

Just to let you know that a new Mailing List has been started.
This is to complement the Newsgroup. Most programmers and
PICK users do not have access to the News Group. So a Mailing list
is the only option for them.

Please DO mail a copy of any Jobs or announcements to the Mailing list.

Below are some of the details to use the mailing list.
To subscribe from this group, send a blank email to:

Then to Post a message:

Also please encourage your pick collegues to join the list be sending a
blank email to:
Other Addresses:

URL to this Group: http://www.egroups.com/group/PICK-users
Regards

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by Luke Webbe » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> This is getting too complicated!  There seems to be many places now that
> want to be the definitive place to go for Pick/MV news.  Your idea is a
good
> one and eGroups is a good product, though a regular mailing list would be
> better. The problem is that we all have to agree on who the "umbrella"
> organization will be.  I belive OSDA is also trying to do that.  Also,
Pick
> proper says that they are coming out with a mailing list for their
products.

> I applaud your effort, but I think the proper way to go about this is for
> the revelation, prime, pick, omnis newsgroups to continue, the Omnis
mailing
> list to continue, the new Pick mailing list to start up, and finally, OSDA
> should create an all-encompassing mailing list for all things MV.  They
> seemed to have expressed an interest and are organized enought to
accomplish
> this.

IMO, ditch the mailing lists entirely and go all-Usenet. I hate mailing
lists. I have occasionally subscribed to technical lists, but I unsubscribed
as soon as I decided I was up to speed. Couldn't hack the volume.

Luke

Post by Matti Lamprhe » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> IMO, ditch the mailing lists entirely and go all-Usenet. I hate mailing
> lists. I have occasionally subscribed to technical lists, but I
unsubscribed
> as soon as I decided I was up to speed. Couldn't hack the volume.

I agree completely.  Mailing lists are fine for newsletters but
inappropriate for threaded discussion.

Matti

Post by mikepre.. » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

> > This is getting too complicated!

I agree. Maybe cdp should be renamed or relocated or whatever as
comp.databases.multivalued, given that the Pick part of the group name
is more than ever before a misnomer now :(

[snip]

Quote:> > Also, Pick
> > proper says that they are coming out with a mailing list for their
> > products.

They already have at least one, for FlashCONNECT, and I really do wish
that could be Usenet instead.

Quote:> > I applaud your effort, but I think the proper way to go about this
is for
> > the revelation, prime, pick, omnis newsgroups to continue, the Omnis
> > mailing
> > list to continue, the new Pick mailing list to start up, and
finally, OSDA
> > should create an all-encompassing mailing list for all things MV.

Thanks for not suggesting comp.databases.rainingdata! I thought you
were in favour of a less-complicated approach. I can just about keep up
with cdp. I'm sure we get more interesting threads/discussions going in
here than we could with any mailing-list. I know there are
occaisionally threads that interest a minority here, but it's not a
problem to pick and choose, and something that appears irrelevant can
often come in handy later. I'm all for a centralised approach.

[snip]

> IMO, ditch the mailing lists entirely and go all-Usenet. I hate
mailing
> lists. I have occasionally subscribed to technical lists, but I
unsubscribed
> as soon as I decided I was up to speed. Couldn't hack the volume.

Again, I agree.

Mike.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by Banke » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I like that :) "umbrella" "Raining Data" ROTFLMAO
I have been watching this newsgroup and the Oliver list (formerly USC, Mike
O'Rear I believe) for close to ten years now and I would  hate to have
either one go but it would be nice to have it all come together. I primarily
work in UV now but have worked  with UD, PICK, AR, and PI in the past (man I
just realized I've been working with this stuff for close to 20 years, I am
getting old) and it really should be together, at least in a help list such
as this. Some of the people on the Oliver list don't have easy access to a
newsgroup though and that is why they stay with the list format. E-groups is
fine but if you change e-mail addresses it's a pain to change. The same goes
for any e-mail list but at least on the Oliver list you know who is running
it and can e-mail Clif directly. I've tried to get involved with the
Informix newsgroup but they don't seem to want any talk about UV or UD and
generally send people to this group for answers (sort of  makes you feel
like a step child). If you change the group name you may lose quite a few
newcomers.

--
JPBankerathotmaildotcom

message

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:45:16

Or have a gateway? Maybe OSDA would like to be the umbrella organisation
(as someone has suggested) and with Pick System's permission plus
possibly a little sponsorship could host the newsgroups, gateways, and
mailing lists. Including hopefully the Oliver UV lists and all the other
stuff that's Pick related.
Conversation: New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

> IMO, ditch the mailing lists entirely and go all-Usenet. I hate
mailing
> lists. I have occasionally subscribed to technical lists, but I
unsubscribed
> as soon as I decided I was up to speed. Couldn't hack the volume.

I agree completely.  Mailing lists are fine for newsletters but
inappropriate for threaded discussion.

Matti

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by BobJ » Sat, 09 Dec 2000 01:08:23

Maybe "Pick" is now a misnomer, but I'd sure like to see something stay
around to honor* - we owe him a lot.  Even if you didn't like some of
his policies, you certainly liked most of his products which means you liked
his ideas.  I believe that he certainly earned the honor of having his name
perpetuated in some for or another.
BobJ

> > > This is getting too complicated!

> I agree. Maybe cdp should be renamed or relocated or whatever as
> comp.databases.multivalued, given that the Pick part of the group name
> is more than ever before a misnomer now :(

> [snip]

> > > Also, Pick
> > > proper says that they are coming out with a mailing list for their
> > > products.

> They already have at least one, for FlashCONNECT, and I really do wish
> that could be Usenet instead.

> > > I applaud your effort, but I think the proper way to go about this
> is for
> > > the revelation, prime, pick, omnis newsgroups to continue, the Omnis
> > > mailing
> > > list to continue, the new Pick mailing list to start up, and
> finally, OSDA
> > > should create an all-encompassing mailing list for all things MV.

> Thanks for not suggesting comp.databases.rainingdata! I thought you
> were in favour of a less-complicated approach. I can just about keep up
> with cdp. I'm sure we get more interesting threads/discussions going in
> here than we could with any mailing-list. I know there are
> occaisionally threads that interest a minority here, but it's not a
> problem to pick and choose, and something that appears irrelevant can
> often come in handy later. I'm all for a centralised approach.

> [snip]

> > IMO, ditch the mailing lists entirely and go all-Usenet. I hate
> mailing
> > lists. I have occasionally subscribed to technical lists, but I
> unsubscribed
> > as soon as I decided I was up to speed. Couldn't hack the volume.

> Again, I agree.

> Mike.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by henry_keult.. » Sat, 09 Dec 2000 09:49:10

Suggested comp.databases.multivalued, given that the Pick part of the
group name is more than ever before a misnomer now.

----------------------- response ----------------------------------
The term multi-valued does not carry any real meaning in the IT industry
while multi-dimensional does.

As a name for this group it is my opinion that CDP is just fine and we
should leave it at that.

As to hosting a mailing list, those that wish to discuss narrower topics
can always post their e-mail address, in a non-spamable format, and
ask interested parties to respond.

In reality, there are very few people who read CDP on a regular basis
and there are even fewer who post.  I therefore doubt there will be any
significant response to this request.

henry keultjes
lastnameatsprintmaildotcom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by Homer L. Haze » Sat, 09 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Greetings,

I had occasion to call THE COMPANY today to provide them with some data.

Imagine my surprise when the young lady answered the telephone with words
like.

Good Afternoon, this is Pick Raining Data, may I help you?

It looks like good ole PickAx has started the process of giving Pick the Ax.

But, Raining Data?

It was hard enough doing business with them when they were called Pick.  I
got too many comments to the effect of:

Pick, what?? Pick your nose? What are you talking about.?

Having to explain Raining Data.  No - I think I'm done.

Larry Hazel

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by nos.. » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 07:44:43

Quote:>Hi,

>Most programmers and  PICK users do not have access to the
>News Group. So a Mailing list is the only option for them.

Are you serious?  I know some companies that block it at their
firewall, but not many.  And any ISP that does not carry newsgroup
content is one to dump.

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by nos.. » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 07:51:29

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000 14:05:08 -0000, "Matti Lamprhey"

>> IMO, ditch the mailing lists entirely and go all-Usenet. I hate mailing
>> lists. I have occasionally subscribed to technical lists, but I
>unsubscribed
>> as soon as I decided I was up to speed. Couldn't hack the volume.

>I agree completely.  Mailing lists are fine for newsletters but
>inappropriate for threaded discussion.

>Matti

Ditto

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by nos.. » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 08:14:51

Quote:>Greetings,

>I had occasion to call THE COMPANY today to provide them with some data.

>Imagine my surprise when the young lady answered the telephone with words
>like.

>Good Afternoon, this is Pick Raining Data, may I help you?

>It looks like good ole PickAx has started the process of giving Pick the Ax.

>But, Raining Data?

>It was hard enough doing business with them when they were called Pick.  I
>got too many comments to the effect of:

>Pick, what?? Pick your nose? What are you talking about.?

>Having to explain Raining Data.  No - I think I'm done.

>Larry Hazel

When I first saw this Raining Data thing I thought that it must be
some sort of codeword for a future release.  Now that it has become
their corporate name it reminds of the old 'dancing girls' era some
time back.  Did they maybe hire back the marketing group?  Generally a
company does some test marketing before they do a name change.  My
thought is that the marketing sample was performed at the San Diego
Zoo.  Or am I insulting the animals too much?  I'm not sure even*
Pick himself could come up with something this bad.  Did* really
pass on, or is he just Raining Data?

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by KC Clar » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:47:40

I'm a current member of two eGroups lists.  I think it works great in its
present form but the groups I am in don't have the long threads this group does.

I said present form since eGroups is supposed to change rather soon.  Yahoo!
completed the formal takeover back in August.  Yahoo! says they will suck
eGroups groups into Yahoo! next quarter.  I'm not familiar with how Yahoo! works
but it is clear to me that eGroups will be changing in the next four months.

KC

> Your idea is a good
> one and eGroups is a good product, though a regular mailing list would be
> better.

New PICK and PICK Flavours Mailing List.

Post by henry_keult.. » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:51:21

Quote:> I'm a current member of two eGroups lists.
> Yahoo! says they will suck eGroups groups into Yahoo! next quarter.
> I'm not familiar with how Yahoo! works but it is clear to me that
> eGroups will be changing in the next four months.

In case you md'ers are missing this phenomenon, the freebie sites are
vanishing from the web real fast.  The click through rate on sites like
eGroups and CDP is infinitely small so those sites do not make any
money.  CDP users typically come to look for their news and they barely
have time for that, let alone surfing to other sites on response to some
stupid banner.

So, rather than talking about some new list that hardly anyone will
read, we better concern ourselves first with the fact that we may have
to rehost CDP in order to retain our free access.

henry keultjes
lastnameatsprintmaildotcom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. RealityX Indexing do other Pick Flavours Have this option

We run RealityX.

We are considering using RealityX software to index some of our files.

Over the years we have tried very hard to keep our coding 'pick
flavour' independent ... ie no screenpro, 4gl type of processors.

Question:

Is indexing now standard (or option available) on most/all versions of
Pick??

Indexing to me is a systamatic way of defining certain
fields/attributes that are to be indexed and then calling on that
information when selecting certain fields or ....

We currently use our own indexing written in basic and it works ok for
the fields that we use them on.  If we need to add more fields that
requires lots more work to reprogram.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Claus Jensen, Vancouver, Canada

2. Need Help on That Visual Basic Project? Programmer Available!

3. UK Pick Contractors Mailing List

4. ALTER USER

5. Pick Mailing list required for uk

6. Quick Question: Space vs. Unused Space

7. mailing list on pick

8. Problems with the comp.databases.pick mailing list

9. Mail List gating of comp.databases.pick

10. sql mail not sending or picking up new messages

11. Can't make lasso pick up new value list

12. Pick and Pick-like windows for dumb terminals