Progress O/S

Post by mwi.. » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:23:30

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me what Server Platforms (O/S's) that Progress 8 or 9 will
run on, and which is preferred.

I am new to the Progress world, and we are looking to purchase soon.

Thanks.

Progress O/S

Post by toby.Harma » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:15:59

Pretty much anything mainstream you care to choose.

Windows
RedHat
HP-UX (Including the Compaq Tru-64)
Solaris
AIX

There used to be a patform availability guide on the Progress Website
in the tech support section.

It's probably worth sticking with whichever O/S you have the most
experience with and add Progress, rather than introducing 2 technology
changes simultaneously!

Progress O/S

Post by mwi.. » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:58:08

How about Novell Netware?

Thanks.

Quote:

> Pretty much anything mainstream you care to choose.

> Windows
> RedHat
> HP-UX (Including the Compaq Tru-64)
> Solaris
> AIX

> There used to be a patform availability guide on the Progress Website
> in the tech support section.

> It's probably worth sticking with whichever O/S you have the most
> experience with and add Progress, rather than introducing 2 technology
> changes simultaneously!

Progress O/S

Post by Bernd Felsch » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:11:11

>Can anyone tell me what Server Platforms (O/S's) that Progress 8 or
>9 will run on, and which is preferred.

As to which platforms it runs on; it's complicated.
        http://www.progress.com/products/pavail.pdf

You're sort of surrounded by Microsoft's wet paint that needs a new
coat at great expense every year or two if you want the GUI
development and runtime.

One option to reduce dependence on that quagmire is to "webify" the
application.

Preferred platform by many is Linux on i386.

Quote:>I am new to the Progress world, and we are looking to purchase soon.

You'll find your choices limited by the applications you want to
run.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!
 X   against HTML mail     | Copy me into your ~/.signature
/ \  and postings          | to help me spread!

Progress O/S

Post by Kevi » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:12:15

Quote:> How about Novell Netware?

> Thanks.

Novell is not a supported platform (but can used as a file server for the
client software over a mapped drive)..

Kevin

1. Progress server on Macintosh OS X

I would like to do Progress development on my Macintosh running OS X.
Any hints on how to get started?

I know that Progress has run on UNIX boxes forever, so the port to OS X
(which is BSD UNIX (mostly)) should be relatively straightforward (for
somebody)... right?

Thanks In Advance,
Eddie

2. Full Text Index Catalog

3. Cluster environment issue with OS 5.1a and Progress 8.3C

4. question re Identity field for you whizbangs

5. Progress connect from OS/2

6. S-Designor

7. Progress and IBM OS/2

8. 32bit ODBC Sybase drivers