PicLan and NT server

Post by Joe Qua » Tue, 02 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Currently, we have a PICK server which is connected to Novell
network via PicLan.  We are going to replace the Novel server with
a Windows NT server.  Does anyone know that the PicLan will work
with the NT server or not ??

Thank you for your help in advance.

Joe Quan, London

PicLan and NT server

Post by Doug Dumit » Tue, 02 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Currently, we have a PICK server which is connected to Novell
>network via PicLan.  We are going to replace the Novel server with
>a Windows NT server.  Does anyone know that the PicLan will work
>with the NT server or not ??
>Thank you for your help in advance.
>Joe Quan, London

PicLan does run in conjunction with Windows NT, but there are several
factors that you may wish to consider.

1.  PicLan's support for Windows NT 3.5x as a client is currently in
Beta, although a number of sites are running this release in
production environments.

2.  PicLan does not currently support DOS Services Gateway printing
functions to NT print queues.  This should be addressed sometime in
early February.

3.  Windows NT does NOT act as an IPX router.  I have heard rumors
that Microsoft is working on this, but I doubt that they will be able
to build an internal router that is as efficient as NetWare.

If you are running a single-segment LAN, then moving to NT is very
easy and PicLan should move with it.  If your LAN is larger and has
multiple segments, then you will be forced to purchase dedicated
routing hardware (Sysco, etc.) to build your LAN infrastructure.

Doug Dumitru
Modular Software Corporation

ps:  I would be curious as to your reasons in moving to NT.

1. PicLan DSG & Windows NT Server

I've sent Doug e-mail, but I thought I would post the question here as I
wait for an answer.

I have a faxing application that works using DSG and PicLan.  I'm trying to
get it to work with a Windows NT 4.0 server.  Does anybody have any
experience with using PicLan's DSG services on a Windows NT 4.0 Server?

Everything seems to work, including all of the terminal emulators and the
PicLan status program and the DSG starts all right.  But nothing seems to be
able to see the DSG, not even the status program running on the same NT
Server!

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance,
Larry Hazel

2. Change owner of User Defined Data Types

3. PicLan-IP Web Server D3/NT Beta Sites Wanted

4. Lost large objects

5. D3/NT port from AP/Pro using PicLan

6. IBM DB2 for Linux

7. Piclan and Windows NT

8. thanks for image database tricks and new question

9. PicLan over NT RAS Workstation

10. Piclan/NT access

11. Piclan and Windows NT

12. PicLan Plt.exe on NT 4.0