1 GB IDE drive on older ISA bus 386

Post by CWNo » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Help!
I am trying to install a Maxtor 71260 IDE drive on a 1991 model 386/40
with ISA bus, and boy, am I getting an education.  My present controller
won't recognize mode than 528 MB (or whatever).  The AMI BIOS will take
the parameters in drive type 47, but when I FDISK, I don't get it.  I need
to give AP/PRO about 250 meg and the rest to DOS 6.22.  I have been told
that I need an enhanced IDE controller, but I need a local bus for that.
Can anyone help?
Best holiday wishes,
Charlie Noah

Post by Toby L. Kra » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Help!
>I am trying to install a Maxtor 71260 IDE drive on a 1991 model 386/40
>with ISA bus, and boy, am I getting an education.  My present controller
>won't recognize mode than 528 MB (or whatever).  The AMI BIOS will take
>the parameters in drive type 47, but when I FDISK, I don't get it.  I need
>to give AP/PRO about 250 meg and the rest to DOS 6.22.  I have been told
>that I need an enhanced IDE controller, but I need a local bus for that.
>Can anyone help?

What you need is an updated BIOS that can handle the newer IDE drives.
A good source is Unicore Software 800-800-BIOS.

1 GB IDE drive on older ISA bus 386

Post by Jeffreys Systems Pl » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

We had a similar problem with our Dell PCs recently, our supplier gave us
the EZ-Drive floppy from Conner. Dead easy to use and we now can access
our 850mb disks even though the BIOS doesn't support a disk of that size.

1 GB IDE drive on older ISA bus 386

Post by Larry da Pon » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

My experience has been that if you want to be able to access more than
528 MB you need an IDE controller that supports LBA (Logical Block
Addressing) or a system BIOS that supports LBA.  If you cant find a
non local bus IDE controller that supports LBA (check out this URL for
just such a card: http://www.unicore.com/lbapro.html) or a system BIOS
upgrade for your existing mother board that supports LBA, for around
$200 (if you shop) you can purchase 486 DX4 100mhz mother board (with
VL slots) complete with CPU and 256k cache which accepts the standard
30 pin SIMMs (so you can transfer your memory from the 386).  Its
BIOS should allow LBA mode or at least allow you to plug in a VL bus
IDE controller ($40) that does LBA.

-Larry

>Help!
>I am trying to install a Maxtor 71260 IDE drive on a 1991 model 386/40
>with ISA bus, and boy, am I getting an education.  My present controller
>won't recognize mode than 528 MB (or whatever).  The AMI BIOS will take
>the parameters in drive type 47, but when I FDISK, I don't get it.  I need
>to give AP/PRO about 250 meg and the rest to DOS 6.22.  I have been told
>that I need an enhanced IDE controller, but I need a local bus for that.
>Can anyone help?
>Best holiday wishes,
>Charlie Noah

1 GB IDE drive on older ISA bus 386

Post by Robert Perso » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

The GSI line of controllers ca do this on an ISA bus.  DirtCheap Drives
may still sell them.  I have an older version that I paid about $55 for,
with 2.88 floppy support.

Also, DeeOneSystems has 486DX4-100 MB for $148!!! (no cache - $30 extra)

This might be a better upgrade path.

Quote:> Help!
> I am trying to install a Maxtor 71260 IDE drive on a 1991 model 386/40
> with ISA bus, and boy, am I getting an education.

1. 1 GB IDE drive on older ISA bus

To all who responded to my plea for help - my deepest gratitude.  I ended
up with AMIDISK, which is a BIOS "extender" card.  I have AMI BIOS and
wanted to stay with it (AMIDISK claims to be compatible with all BIOS,
though).  It was a simple install, I got my 1.2GB, and was able to install
AP/PRO.  I wish the AP/PRO install was that easy...but that's another
horror story.  Anyway, I got it from Global Technologies (800 708-3243).
They are right down the street from AMI, and have a very good working
relationship with them.  They are very knowledgeable, and deliver as
promised. $59.00 + shipping.  One caveat: the docs say to get rid of any
partitions on the drive - THEY MEAN IT!  That sucker can and will find any
existing partition on it, no matter what drive type & parameters it was
set up with, and it will complain.

I don't get ALL the performance that this drive could provide in a newer
machine, but it still is significantly faster than the 420 MD Seagate it
replaced.

Again, thanks to all who responded.
Happy Holodays,
Charlie Noah

2. Using Date from a form as a parameter

3. Wanted (UK) 286/386 PC with MFM drive for R83 rev 3.0/3.1

4. Snapshot creation problem

5. WTB: WTB 40 GB IDE HD (PinPost)

6. HELP!! stored procedure fails only when called through ADO

7. IDE Tape Drive

8. Name of current table in trigger

9. FS: Creative 52X Internal IDE CDROM Drive (PinPost)

10. Backing Up Large DBs Using Digital 20 GB Tape Drives

11. Using an Exabyte 2.3 GB tape drive for archives and logs

12. PdoxDos & >2.gb Drives

13. Second IDE drive for R83