Question about B-trees

Post by Patrick Drap » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I've been doing some reading about B-trees, and it appears that
they, and the related B+-trees do not maintain balance.

Is this true? I find it shocking that the most widely used tree for
external searching does not assure some kind of balance or
near balance. Is the reason that there is no balance maintained
because of the large number of nodes that can be stored in a
single block?

I appreciate any comments that anyone might have about this.

Thanks,

 /\/\ |Patrick Draper                        Mr. Order, he runs at a|
/ /_.\|Cambridge Technology Partners, Inc.      good pace, but old  |

 \/\/ |Stockholm, Sweden                          winning the race. |