How to SendUserEvent to 'brother' frame ???

How to SendUserEvent to 'brother' frame ???

Post by Bill Rowla » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

How can I set the value of a FrameExec object that corresponds to a frame
that is already executing (not the parent or child of the current frame)
for the purpose of doing a SendUserEvent to that frame? I can use CurFrame
or ParentFrame variables for the current and parent frames, and can access
a child frame via openframe, but can't figure out how to do it for
other frames ????

--
/==========================\
|Bill Rowland              |

\==========================/

How to SendUserEvent to 'brother' frame ???

Post by cpco.. » Mon, 17 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>How can I set the value of a FrameExec object that corresponds to a frame
>that is already executing (not the parent or child of the current frame)
for
>the purpose of doing a SendUserEvent to that frame? I can use CurFrame or
>ParentFrame variables for the current and parent frames, and can access a
child
>frame via openframe, but can't figure out how to do it for other frames
????

When you start up the frame which will receive the message, its parent
knows its FrameExec value.  Store that in a global.  Refer to the global
when you send the message.

We used a variant of this (we kept an array of _every_ open frame and its
parent) to enable orderly shutdown of a Windows "MDI"-nodel application).
--
Charles P. Cohen, Cyborg Consultants

Post by Jon Machtyng » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: How can I set the value of a FrameExec object that corresponds to a frame
: that is already executing (not the parent or child of the current frame)
: for the purpose of doing a SendUserEvent to that frame? I can use CurFrame
: or ParentFrame variables for the current and parent frames, and can access
: a child frame via openframe, but can't figure out how to do it for
: other frames ????

If you have the FrameExec handle, you can send it a userevent.  All you need
to do is keep track of it.  E.g. somewhere in the app, do a BrotherFrame =
OpenFrame(..). And BrotherFrame must be globally settable/accessible...

--
#include <disclaimer.h>

| Bvd de la Woluwe 34 Bte. 13                                       |
| Brussels. Belgium. (+32)  Ph: 02-774 49 23 Fax: 02-773 28 09      |

Post by Rajendra Jamadag » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> When you start up the frame which will receive the message, its parent
> knows its FrameExec value.  Store that in a global.  Refer to the global
> when you send the message.

> We used a variant of this (we kept an array of _every_ open frame and its
> parent) to enable orderly shutdown of a Windows "MDI"-nodel application).
> --
> Charles P. Cohen, Cyborg Consultants

hi all,
        one question,
        if i am to keep a list of all openframe in an array like
        suggested above, can someone please tell me, how much memory
        i am putting aside for each frameexec object.

        actually i like the idea, to do a orderly shutdown. but not
        at the cost of sacrificing a lot of memory if it takes.
        has anyone actually found howmuch momory it would take to
        store such big(?) objects like frameexec to store globally ??

        any pointers on this are highly appreciated.
        also is there any way of creating something like a mdi application
        in openroad ??
        can we control shape of mouse pointers ??
        am i throwing too many questions ?? but these features i would
        definitely like to see in openroad.

        tia
        raj

 Fujitsu Australia Limited.      All Views expressed are my own.

 My momma say's " Life is like a list of URL's, you don't know
 what you get until you click on one..... "

1. How to SendUserEvent to 'brother' frame ???

: >
: |> hi all,
: |>         one question,
: |>         if i am to keep a list of all openframe in an array like
: |>         suggested above, can someone please tell me, how much memory
: |>         i am putting aside for each frameexec object.
: Check Chapter 4 of the Language Reference Manual - objects are accessed
: through reference variables, thus the global array of FrameExec's is
: actually an array of FrameExec reference variables not of the FrameExec
: objects themselves.  Storage therefore should not be an issue.

Of course, you need to be careful to remove the FrameExec from the
array when the frame exits; otherwise you're keeping the FrameExec and
everything it points to in memory unecessarily (by having a reference to it);
this *is* expensive.

Mike

2. Auto Level Member Count Times Out

3. Accessing data from a 'brother' file

4. Maintenance plan log offloads (SQL2000)

5. SQL for 'My brother's brother'

6. Context Sensitive Help in VB16.

7. Brother's Keeper and btrieve?

8. Error 3426 Please help ASAP

10. SQL for "My brother's brother"

11. Frame doesn't appear.

12. Can't get secondary index in table frame to work

13. Ok, here's a doozy for ya- Calculating Time based on Frame Rate