Foundation Read Question

Post by Jeff Papp » Tue, 15 Mar 1994 23:57:12

Hi all!

I'm using FPW 2.5 and would like to know if there is any way to start a
foundation read but have the read automatically start up a program.

I assumethat accomplishing this task would require using the KEYBOARD or
similar command to stuff the keyboard just prior to starting the foundation
read.  The keyboard stuff would then simulate the user starting a program from
the menu.

I can't get this method to work and I would like to know if there is a way
using this method or another method to accomplish the same task.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff P.

Foundation Read Question

Post by y.. » Wed, 16 Mar 1994 08:34:37

Quote:> Hi all!

> I'm using FPW 2.5 and would like to know if there is any way to start a
> foundation read but have the read automatically start up a program.

> I assumethat accomplishing this task would require using the KEYBOARD or
> similar command to stuff the keyboard just prior to starting the foundation
> read.  The keyboard stuff would then simulate the user starting a program from
> the menu.

> I can't get this method to work and I would like to know if there is a way
> using this method or another method to accomplish the same task.

> Thanks in advance!

> Jeff P.

In order to start program from foundation read you don't need to use keyboard
command. There are different ways to start a program from found. read. Here is
two of them:
- define public variables
- set neccesary "set" settings
- set public var m.exit = .F.

read ;
   when fyourmenu() ;
   valid m.exit
- global cleanup code here

&& end of the main program

- here you may put rest of you procedures
- one of the bars in you menu fyourmenu() must be "Exit"
- it will execute following code
function fexit
if rdlevel() = 1
   m.exit = .T.
endif
clear read
- this function will take you down one level every time and exit from the
application when you on the 1 read level (foundation read).

Second way of using foundation read is to have global var say m.nextproc

m.nextproc = "myprog"

read ;
  valid ftodo()

function ftodo
  do (m.nextproc) with m.exit
return m.exit

- this variation alows you execute a new program every time you are back to
founation read without having user pick one from the menu. When m.exit will be
evaluated to .T. you will exit from your app. You may change the name of the
next program being executed by assignig new value to global m.nextproc.

Hope, this will help. Tell me if any problems. Yan

Foundation Read Question

Post by Justified And Ancien » Thu, 17 Mar 1994 00:30:53

>I would like the foundation read to start an application without intervention
>by the user but still give the user flexibility to start another application.

Just do something like:

dropdead = .F.
dowhat = "apptostart"

READ [...]

Instead of setting dowhat to "" before you go into the READ.  The VALID
clause of the read is executed immediatly, because there are no gets.

Or at least, I think that should work.  It's been a while since I've
programmed things in a foundation read.
--

=My thoughts, my posts, my ideas, my responsibility, my beer, my pizza.  OK???=

Foundation Read Question

Post by Jeff Papp » Wed, 16 Mar 1994 17:56:30

(Jeff Pappas) writes:>> Hi all!

>> I'm using FPW 2.5 and would like to know if there is any way to start a
>> foundation read but have the read automatically start up a program.

>> I assumethat accomplishing this task would require using the KEYBOARD or
>> similar command to stuff the keyboard just prior to starting the foundation
>> read.  The keyboard stuff would then simulate the user starting a program from
>> the menu.

>> I can't get this method to work and I would like to know if there is a way
>> using this method or another method to accomplish the same task.

>> Thanks in advance!

>> Jeff P.

>In order to start program from foundation read you don't need to use keyboard
>command. There are different ways to start a program from found. read. Here is
>two of them:
[stuff deleted]
>Hope, this will help. Tell me if any problems. Yan

Thanks for the help, Yan!  But I think my question was misunderstood.

I would like the foundation read to start an application without intervention
by the user but still give the user flexibility to start another application.

The event driven examples (EX?) included with FPW are based on the foundation
read.  Both of these examples clear the screen (except for the menu bar) and
wait for the user to select something.  I would like to know if there is a
way, using a foundation read, to start an application within the foundation
read as soon as the foundation read is started, without any mouse or
keystrokes by the user!  Then, the user can manipulate the application or they
can select another application from the menu bar using the foundation read.

I HAVE to use a foundation read because of other circumstances.  I WOULD
LIKE to have the foundation read start another application so that
inexperienced users can use the system without getting lost.

I have a feeling that this is not possible.  What a drag.......

Foundation Read Question

Post by Jeff Papp » Wed, 16 Mar 1994 20:44:25

>>I would like the foundation read to start an application without intervention
>>by the user but still give the user flexibility to start another application.
>Just do something like:
>dropdead = .F.
>dowhat = "apptostart"
>READ [...]
>Instead of setting dowhat to "" before you go into the READ.  The VALID
>clause of the read is executed immediatly, because there are no gets.
>Or at least, I think that should work.  It's been a while since I've
>programmed things in a foundation read.

Nice try, but that doesn't work either.  Apparently, the VALID clause of the
foundation read is not executed until the user does a mouse click on the
screen or selects something from the menu!

Jeff P.

The m*of this story is...... we should all think twice before using
foundation reads!

1. foundation read question

I'm trying to write an application with a foundation read which has multiple windows open at any one time.
The SPR's generated using the screen builder all have a 'release window' following the read, so it seems
I either have to have multiple reads going at once or re-build the screens whenever I cycle through the
foundation read. I must be missing something here. I'm sure this is done all the time.

I'm *not* interested in coding my own SPR's.

Thanks very much in advance. I'm relatively new to this.

2. Creating frames at Run time?

3. Foundation Read Question

4. pdx 3.5 on nt 4.0

5. Foundation read question

6. HELP!! calling subs whos name is value of string

7. foundation read question

8. Partitions with the DateTime Fields

9. FPW26 Foundation Read novice question

10. Foundation Read and re-cycle reads...

11. foundation reads AND VFP

12. Codebook 2.6 - the foundation read and event handler