Microsof VFP Documentation Omission

Post by Jonathan Roger » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong (someone who knows for sure), but
for a view to work as documented in VFP/MSDN documentation, the data source
for the view must act like a remote data source. In other words the data
must be opened (VFP will do this for you) and closed (VFP does NOT do this
for you) before and after every data access.

If you leave the data source of the view opened (even if VFP implicitly
opened it) the view will not work properly (read "like a remote view") in
some cases.

If this is true, then this is a gross omission on the part of Microsoft, yet
is seems to be the only way to make local and remote views behave the same.

Please someone shed some light on this situation.  I would prefer to hear
from someone on the VFP team at Microsoft, since they are the only ones who
can fully explain their assumption/reasoning behind this behavior.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan Rogers

Microsof VFP Documentation Omission

Post by Anders Altber » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Jonathan
Quote:> for a view to work as documented in VFP/MSDN documentation, the data
source
> for the view must act like a remote data source.
Why?
> If you leave the data source of the view opened (even if VFP implicitly
> opened it) the view will not work properly (read "like a remote view") in
> some cases.

What cases are you thinking of?

-Anders

> Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong (someone who knows for sure), but
> for a view to work as documented in VFP/MSDN documentation, the data
source
> for the view must act like a remote data source. In other words the data
> must be opened (VFP will do this for you) and closed (VFP does NOT do this
> for you) before and after every data access.

> If you leave the data source of the view opened (even if VFP implicitly
> opened it) the view will not work properly (read "like a remote view") in
> some cases.

> If this is true, then this is a gross omission on the part of Microsoft,
yet
> is seems to be the only way to make local and remote views behave the
same.

> Please someone shed some light on this situation.  I would prefer to hear
> from someone on the VFP team at Microsoft, since they are the only ones
who
> can fully explain their assumption/reasoning behind this behavior.

> Thanks in advance,
> Jonathan Rogers

Microsof VFP Documentation Omission

Post by Jonathan Roger » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Use a local view in one session of VFP (I'll refer to this instance of VFP
as VFP1).

Use the view in another session of VFP (VFP2).

Update the value of a field in the view using VFP2.

Issue a TableUpdate() command in VFP2.

In VFP1, issue a Requery() command.

Change the value of the same field in VFP1.

Issue a TableUpdate() command in VFP1 and it will fail.

I believe this is because the underlying table is not updated with the
current value. (You can verify this by comparing <basetable>.fieldname with
CurVal("fieldname") and OldVal("fieldname".)

> Jonathan
> > for a view to work as documented in VFP/MSDN documentation, the data
> source
> > for the view must act like a remote data source.
> Why?
> > If you leave the data source of the view opened (even if VFP implicitly
> > opened it) the view will not work properly (read "like a remote view")
in
> > some cases.
> What cases are you thinking of?

> -Anders

> > Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong (someone who knows for sure),
but
> > for a view to work as documented in VFP/MSDN documentation, the data
> source
> > for the view must act like a remote data source. In other words the data
> > must be opened (VFP will do this for you) and closed (VFP does NOT do
this
> > for you) before and after every data access.

> > If you leave the data source of the view opened (even if VFP implicitly
> > opened it) the view will not work properly (read "like a remote view")
in
> > some cases.

> > If this is true, then this is a gross omission on the part of Microsoft,
> yet
> > is seems to be the only way to make local and remote views behave the
> same.

> > Please someone shed some light on this situation.  I would prefer to
hear
> > from someone on the VFP team at Microsoft, since they are the only ones
> who
> > can fully explain their assumption/reasoning behind this behavior.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Jonathan Rogers

1. Serious omission in VFP

VFP does not allow you to select the pages to be printed.  When you
execute the command REPORT FORM .... TO PRINTER PROMPT, there is only a
prompt to select printer.  Where is the prompt for the printing range
(ALL, PAGE 1 to 9999)?  The printing range was available in Foxprow for
Windows but not in VFP.

Imaging prining 100 pages and then decided to reprint just page 99?  You
have to reprint from start.  You cannot select the pages.

Can Microsoft do something to resolve this problem?  Why was print range
removed in VFP?

--
Lim Beng Cheng                          Know the computer
Hiwire Computer & Security Pte Ltd      Know the anti-virus

                                        Your system will soon perish

2. BDE Engine Versions

3. How can I create a new database using OLEDB provider for Microsof t Jet Engine 4.0

4. Help: PAL in PARADOX 4.5

5. Please Help with Microsof Cursor Engine Error

6. Creating Server based transaction servers

7. ON-Hamilton-369910--System Design-CICS-COBOL-PowerBuilder-ORACLE-2 Tier-Microsof

9. VFP Documentation Wizard

10. VFP - @ say, @ get, READ - documentation

11. VFP 5.0:Documentation for shipped ActiveX-Controls ?

12. VFP Documentation

13. VFP documentation