D3 SHUTDOWN/REBOOT.

Post by Craig Morro » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:37:54

Maybe I am nuts, but you would think that a multi-user, multi-tasking
operating envirnoment like D3 would notify the console during a
shutdown/reboot process that there are users still connected to the
system.

While I can think of several ways to solve this, I have always checked
to see if users are logged on or not before a shutdown or reboot.
This was true on with my PERTEC, AP/PRO, & PROPLUS systems.

Now however with CTL-ALT-DEL, D3/NT & Windows, everybody knows how to
reboot!  Yes a warning is presented that the VME is shutting down -
but we know HOW The rebooter will answer this question!  Maybe the
solution is to put the Windows machine in a locked closet.

I have also found that Shutdown will not only automatically disconnect
users, it will also automatically shutdown the OSFI servers.

Reboot is some better, it only automatically disconnects the users,
and then asks you if each OSFI server should be shutdown.

Doesn't it seem reasonable to me that a multi-user system should warn
the unsuspecting rebooter that they are going to drop a user or two?

Not really looking for an answer - just venting.  I can tell you I
believe weird things can happen when a reboot/shutdown occurs when a
user is logged on.  May tie into the recent threads on "end" versus
"exit" and whether the user is a serial or telnet user.

In any case be aware.

Craig.

D3 SHUTDOWN/REBOOT.

Post by Tony Gravagn » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:48:30

Pierre Trinephi at RD wrote a program many years ago called D3Tray.
It intercepts the shutdown message from Windows, warns the user if D3
is up, does a clean shutdown of D3 before Windows goes down, and
allows the user to cancel the shutdown.  It does a lot more than that,
but that's probably its claim to fame.

I believe D3Tray will be bundled with D3NT 8.0.  If you still want it
for free I believe you can get it from the RD FTP site.  If you don't
want to load foreign code on your system you can write your own.  I
wrote a routine I call NebulaMonitor that I use here - it's saved my
*a couple times.

Be careful what you ask for, it might already be available.
Personally I prefer utilities like this in the third-party market, you
never know when one of the vendors will find time to support them, or
decide to cancel support entirely.

Just my 2 lire,
Tony

>Maybe I am nuts, but you would think that a multi-user, multi-tasking
>operating envirnoment like D3 would notify the console during a
>shutdown/reboot process that there are users still connected to the
>system.

>While I can think of several ways to solve this, I have always checked
>to see if users are logged on or not before a shutdown or reboot.
>This was true on with my PERTEC, AP/PRO, & PROPLUS systems.

>Now however with CTL-ALT-DEL, D3/NT & Windows, everybody knows how to
>reboot!  Yes a warning is presented that the VME is shutting down -
>but we know HOW The rebooter will answer this question!  Maybe the
>solution is to put the Windows machine in a locked closet.

>I have also found that Shutdown will not only automatically disconnect
>users, it will also automatically shutdown the OSFI servers.

>Reboot is some better, it only automatically disconnects the users,
>and then asks you if each OSFI server should be shutdown.

>Doesn't it seem reasonable to me that a multi-user system should warn
>the unsuspecting rebooter that they are going to drop a user or two?

>Not really looking for an answer - just venting.  I can tell you I
>believe weird things can happen when a reboot/shutdown occurs when a
>user is logged on.  May tie into the recent threads on "end" versus
>"exit" and whether the user is a serial or telnet user.

>In any case be aware.

>Craig.

D3 SHUTDOWN/REBOOT.

Post by Frank Winan » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:52:36

"Craig Morroni" wrote
[venting about shutdown/reboot]

In the 'closing the barn door after the horse escapes' department,
you can put a proc or macro in dm,dm,  user-shutdown  to do
whatever salvaging is possible.  I just put
DISPLAY  Hello from dm,md, user-shutdown

in our d3/linux.  Haven't tested this on d3/nt, come to think...

D3 SHUTDOWN/REBOOT.

Post by System Admi » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 02:46:09

Sounds like a rant and a management problem.

Review the power-off and shutdown programs in file bp (dm account).
All the program source is there.
You can modify them to fit your installation.

D3Tray is available from Raining Data and can be customized.

Not just anyone should be doing a CTRL-ALT-DELETE on the D3 server.

CTRL-ALT-DELETE does not do an automatic reboot on a NT or Win 2K server.

All the tools are provided to you, it is up to you how you use them.

> Maybe I am nuts, but you would think that a multi-user, multi-tasking
> operating envirnoment like D3 would notify the console during a
> shutdown/reboot process that there are users still connected to the
> system.

> While I can think of several ways to solve this, I have always checked
> to see if users are logged on or not before a shutdown or reboot.
> This was true on with my PERTEC, AP/PRO, & PROPLUS systems.

> Now however with CTL-ALT-DEL, D3/NT & Windows, everybody knows how to
> reboot!  Yes a warning is presented that the VME is shutting down -
> but we know HOW The rebooter will answer this question!  Maybe the
> solution is to put the Windows machine in a locked closet.

> I have also found that Shutdown will not only automatically disconnect
> users, it will also automatically shutdown the OSFI servers.

> Reboot is some better, it only automatically disconnects the users,
> and then asks you if each OSFI server should be shutdown.

> Doesn't it seem reasonable to me that a multi-user system should warn
> the unsuspecting rebooter that they are going to drop a user or two?

> Not really looking for an answer - just venting.  I can tell you I
> believe weird things can happen when a reboot/shutdown occurs when a
> user is logged on.  May tie into the recent threads on "end" versus
> "exit" and whether the user is a serial or telnet user.

> In any case be aware.

> Craig.

1. D3 Shutdown and NT reboot loses data

The last few times I've had to reboot my production D3 7.1.4.313 NT 4.0
Server (service pack 4), I end up with varying degrees of data loss.

My procedure for rebooting NT is:
1.  Announce to all users that they have 10 minutes to get off of the
system.
2.  Announce one minute warning.
3.  Manually LOGOFF each port except my own.
4.  Run the "SHUTDOWN" TCL command.
5.  Start | Shutdown | Restart.
6.  VME starts as service automagically.

Yesterday when I did this at noon and the machine came back up, a
transaction file was cleared at the data level.  A couple of months ago
during our last reboot, one item in a file had each attribute nulled out,
and a few items were completely missing from another file.  Under the Device
Manager, the flush periods are set to 10 seconds for both the FSI and VME
and has not been changed since installation.

Would I be better off letting the "SHUTDOWN" TCL command handle logging off
users?

Have any bugs been reported like this in 7.1.4.313?

Regards,
Sean Collington
Systems Administrator
Boehmer Box Corporation

2. sending sql statment to SQL stored procedure

3. WinNT Does Shutdown Abort during Reboot

4. Default numeric format

5. Shutdown during reboot (script help)

6. MS SQL Server7.0 Installation Problem

7. WinNT does SHUTDOWN ABORT when Rebooting

8. VFP 5 - How do I use images other than BMPs?

9. HELP: Oracle 7.3.4 shutdown on NT reboots machine

10. Automated On/Offline during Machine reboot/shutdown, how?

11. Automated FM shutdown before machine reboots

12. d3/nt server reboot w/ memory dump

13. D3/Linux and the Rebooted Workstations Problem (long)