DDS1 tape on DDS3 drive under D3 Linux

Post by Glen Batchel » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Help!

     My AP/Pro system has a 1gig DDS1 scsi drive that I'm still using.
I once restored from a tape using my new DDS3 drive on D3, but now
I keep getting medium sense key errors OR the file restore hangs with
a file marker error. I've tried 3 settings:

tape /dev/nst0 as d l (4MM)
tape /dev/nst0 as q lq (1/4")
tape /dev/nst0 as q ld (1/4")

 The drive works great as q lq with DDS3 tapes, but It just doesn't
like the DDS1's despite the drive will read any format. I did try
setting the drive's block size to 0 and 512. I must be getting the
config wrong because I restored from an old tape when I first
installed the new system.
 The adpater card and drive have both been replaced due to a power
supply problem and they work fine.

  TIA,

       Glen aka Ryengoth

      http://www.all-spec.com/picksource/

DDS1 tape on DDS3 drive under D3 Linux

Post by Glen Batchel » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

 Never mind, I finally got the right combo:

pick0 tape statement:  tape /dev/nst0 q ls # AP/Pro Restore

TCL stuff:

!mt -f /dev/nst0 setblk 512
SET-DEVICE x (R
*Restore AP/Pro Data*
T-DET
!mt -f /dev/nst0 setblk 0

 I bet this was posted a few months ago in the newsgroup. :)
My DDS1 tapes from AP/Pro will only work with the blocksize
set to 512 on a 'standard' quarter inch tape. The DDS3 will only work
with the blocksize set to 0 on a "special" 'q lq' quarter inch tape.

       Glen aka Ryengoth

      http://www.all-spec.com/picksource/

Quote:

>Help!

>     My AP/Pro system has a 1gig DDS1 scsi drive that I'm still using.
>I once restored from a tape using my new DDS3 drive on D3, but now
>I keep getting medium sense key errors OR the file restore hangs with
>a file marker error. I've tried 3 settings:

>tape /dev/nst0 as d l (4MM)
>tape /dev/nst0 as q lq (1/4")
>tape /dev/nst0 as q ld (1/4")

> The drive works great as q lq with DDS3 tapes, but It just doesn't
>like the DDS1's despite the drive will read any format. I did try
>setting the drive's block size to 0 and 512. I must be getting the
>config wrong because I restored from an old tape when I first
>installed the new system.
> The adpater card and drive have both been replaced due to a power
>supply problem and they work fine.

>  TIA,

>       Glen aka Ryengoth

>      http://www.all-spec.com/picksource/

1. D3/Linux and 9-track tape drives

For legacy reasons I think I am going to need to put a 9-track,reel to
reel, mag tape drive on one of my D3/Linux systems.  Anyone have
experience/recommendation on controller card/software drivers/drive?

Thanks for the information.

               Sean

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. VB or Access?

3. D3/Linux tape drive

4. How to get the status of a session is it activity?????

5. Setting up a scsi tape drive on d3 linux

6. Win95 SQLServer6.5 ODBC driver

7. Tape drive or No tape drive ?

8. D3 Proplus - Tape Drive

9. DLT tape drive on D3/NT...

10. d3 sco - adding another tape drive

11. Problem with D3 7.1 on SCO 5.0.4 and tape drives

12. Move from AdvPICK to D3 w/out tape drives