PicLan DSG & Windows NT Server

Post by Homer Haze » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I've sent Doug e-mail, but I thought I would post the question here as I
wait for an answer.

I have a faxing application that works using DSG and PicLan.  I'm trying to
get it to work with a Windows NT 4.0 server.  Does anybody have any
experience with using PicLan's DSG services on a Windows NT 4.0 Server?

Everything seems to work, including all of the terminal emulators and the
PicLan status program and the DSG starts all right.  But nothing seems to be
able to see the DSG, not even the status program running on the same NT
Server!

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance,
Larry Hazel

PicLan DSG & Windows NT Server

Post by Homer Haze » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Doug sent me e-mail and fixed my problem, like he always does.  He suggested
I take the other option for how DSG's advertise their presence on NT, so I
did, and it worked like a champ.

Doug comes through again!!!

Thanks Doug.

Larry Hazel

Quote:>I've sent Doug e-mail, but I thought I would post the question here as I

Post by Doug Dumit » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Doug sent me e-mail and fixed my problem, like he always does.  He suggested
>I take the other option for how DSG's advertise their presence on NT, so I
>did, and it worked like a champ.

>Doug comes through again!!!

>Thanks Doug.

For those listening in, the underlying problem was in how the DSG
system advertises itself over IPX.  PicLan use an IPX protocol called
"Service Advertising Protocol" (SAP) so that servers (like a DSG) can
advertise their names to the network.  Routers listen to these
adverti*ts and propogate them throughout the network (using one of
two possible routers protocols called RIP or NLSP).

The problem with Windows NT is that Microsoft has been busy
introducing a lot of new functionality since NT 4.0 first shipped.
This has led to several mechanisms to implement SAP depending on which
features of NT you have loaded.  This means that a base NT 4.0 system
will behave differently than a system with SP3 or with RRAS (the
Microsoft Routing and Remote Access Server update).  This is why the
PicLan client gives you so many options on how the DSG will advertise
to the network.

Or to put it another way:

  Aren't standards wonderful, so many to choose from.

Modular Software Corporation           Ph:  (949) 831-4774
24872 Nellie Gail Road                 Fax: (949) 831-6860
Laguna Hills, CA  92653  USA

PicLan DSG & Windows NT Server

Post by KeyGrou » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:

>Or to put it another way:

>  Aren't standards wonderful, so many to choose from.

Good one, Doug.
Jeffrey Kaufman
Key Data Systems Group
www.keydat.com

1. Piclan DSG question

Hello,

I am currently running DSG on a Win98 box, but would like to run it on
a Win2000 machine. When I start the DSG it initializes and says that
it is running, but when I do a Piclan Status it does not show up. Any
help would be much appreciated.

Scott

2. "No current record" dialog?

3. Print from Win95 Apps thru PicLan DSG

4. Hung backends

5. Mentor Pro and Piclan (DSG)

6. TDS Buffer length too long

7. Piclan DSG

8. Query Generates Error Message

9. piclan DSG Win95 printing problem

10. SQL Server 7 and Windows NT Terminal Server and Windows NT 5.0 beta

11. Windows NT Server vs Windows NT Server Enterprise version

12. Piclan and Windows NT