No keys in the tables

Post by ranj » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:22:51

hi

this may sound silly - but could someone tell me the consequences of
either not having constraints (keys) in tables while doing the DB
design, or during the design - dropping the constraints?

No keys in the tables

Post by Alan » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:07:57

Sounds like homework.

Quote:> hi

> this may sound silly - but could someone tell me the consequences of
> either not having constraints (keys) in tables while doing the DB
> design, or during the design - dropping the constraints?

1. INSERT INTO TABLE KEYED ONLY ON IDENTITY COLUMN RESULTS IN KEY VIOLATION (6.5)

We have a couple of tables that are keyed on the first column which is an
IDENTITY column e.g. process ID. When we try and insert into the table.
There are no triggers involved or SELECT INTOs which are listed as known
problems in early 6.5 releases.

INSERT INTO (col2, col3, ....)
values (col2value, col3value, ....)

On more than one occasion,  a key violation has occurred (on more than one
of the tables).
Does anyone know how we can rectify this and its cause?

I seem to vaguely remember seeing a bug listed on this but now can't find it
on the Microsoft support site.

Regards

Matt P

Pracctice Ltd.

2. Ingres development with Visual Studio or Dephi

3. One FOREIGN KEY refrences a Table with two Primary Keys

4. connection error

5. BCP INTO A TABLE THAT CONTAINS PRIMARY KEY AND FOREIGN KEY CONSTRAINTS

6. .exe

7. DMO and Tables +Primary Key - Foreign Key

8. what's the between foxpro and oracle

9. Determining primary key (or composite keys) of a table through JDBC

10. Primary Key / Working Code to get primary key of a table using ADO and schemas

11. display primary keys, foreign keys of a table.

12. Split one Access Table into multiple SQL tables with primary keys

13. Query between 2 tables, where 2nd table foreign key is null