Installing Pervasive 7.1 client on Novell 5 server.

Installing Pervasive 7.1 client on Novell 5 server.

Post by Jan-Willem Heidmeije » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 16:36:31

Hi all,

We are having some problems installing a Pervasive 7.1 client on a Novell 5
server.

When we connected this workstation on a Novell 4 server using the SPX
protocoll the PVSW client install detected the following protocolls:
TCP/IP, Winsock and SPX and everything worked OK.

After this test succeeded we de-installed the PVSW client and changed the
server.
We also changed the name of the workgroup on the workstation.

After that we rebooted the workstation.

When rebooting the workstation the Network properties displayed the same
protocolls.

When installing the PVSW client the SPX protocoll is not displayed.

This results in not connecting to the server.

My question:

How can it be that the SPX protocoll is not detected?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

Jan-Willem

Installing Pervasive 7.1 client on Novell 5 server.

Post by Gordo » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 20:39:30

You should be able to use TCP/IP in this situation. Can't tell you off
hand why SPX doesn't show in installscout; it should, it might just
not work in this particular situation...

Note that with NetWare 5 you can configure the IPX/SPX protocol to be
tunneled through IP (CMD). If this is the case on this server, then
the NetWare client has to be installed with Compatibility Mode Driver
and IP. If the client was setup for IPX and IP,  you won't be able to
use the IPX/SPX protocol on this server.

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 07:36:31 GMT, "Jan-Willem Heidmeijer"

>Hi all,

>We are having some problems installing a Pervasive 7.1 client on a Novell 5
>server.

>When we connected this workstation on a Novell 4 server using the SPX
>protocoll the PVSW client install detected the following protocolls:
>TCP/IP, Winsock and SPX and everything worked OK.

>After this test succeeded we de-installed the PVSW client and changed the
>server.
>We also changed the name of the workgroup on the workstation.

>After that we rebooted the workstation.

>When rebooting the workstation the Network properties displayed the same
>protocolls.

>When installing the PVSW client the SPX protocoll is not displayed.

>This results in not connecting to the server.

>My question:

>How can it be that the SPX protocoll is not detected?

>Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

>Jan-Willem

 Gordon Bos
 Q-RY Solutions
 +31-(0)15-2564035

 http://www.q-ry.nl/

1. SQL Server super slow when Novell Client For Netware is installed on client PC

Hi All,

I am currently have the following problem where my calls
to the SQL Server 2000 is super slow if I have "Novell
Client for Netware" installed on my client PC.  My setup
is as follows:

Running a W2K Server with SQL Server 2000 installed on
it.  On my client machine I am running W2K Professional
with "Novell Client For Netware" installed on it.  I can't
remove "Novell Client For Netware" as I need access to my
Novell Network.

The problem is that when my application tries to connect
to SQL Server, it is very very very slow.   If I remove
the "Novell Client For Netware" from the client machine
then it speeds up and it can communicate with the SQL
Server with no problems.  With the "Novell Client For
Netware" installed, it can still communicate but it slows
down about 10 times or more.

My application uses ADO and OLE/DB to communicate with SQL
Server and I am using MDAC Version 2.6.

The client and server machines both have TCP/IP and
IPX/SPX network protocols installed for SQL Server.
Initially, when SQL Server was installed on the Client and
Server they had Named Pipes and TCP/IP protocols installed
by default, but my application could not communicate until
I added the IPX/SPX protocol on the client machine's SQL
Server.

The following document from MS describes a slow connection
problem when using MDAC 2.6 and IP address instead of the
machine name (which we need to do because of our Novell
Network Setup), however, it doesn't seem to be exactly
this problem, since it suggests that this problem should
be occuring regardless of whether the novell drivers are
installed or not, which is not true in my case:
        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=kb;EN-US;q300420

I would really appreciate any help or insight that anyone
can provide.

Regards
Iraj

2. OK-TULSA-22967--DBA Skills-ORACLE-RDBMS-Oracle DBA

3. SQL Server ODBC Timeout

4. VFP 6.0/SQL 7.0 Replication & Reporting Application

5. Connection Pooling test with VB and VC++

6. WIN2000 install failure for APP client 7.1

7. Server : Pervasive.SQL 2000 , Client : Pervasive 7

8. Pervasive, Novell and Novell Clustering

9. Trouble installing 9i Application Server on Redhat 7.1

10. HELP: Install Oracle 7.1 Workgroup Server on DEC Alpha Window NT 4.0