Converting First Choice

Post by T.Dun » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 02:00:03

I have about 200 recipes in a First Choice database. Is there any way of
converting the file to a more modern DB.
First Choice goes back to my DOS days (1983).
Thanks, Tom Dunn

Converting First Choice

Post by Paul K Egell-Johnse » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 03:58:06

> I have about 200 recipes in a First Choice database. Is there any way of
> converting the file to a more modern DB.
> First Choice goes back to my DOS days (1983).
> Thanks, Tom Dunn

Probably the program has an export as CSV (comma separated values),
which can be read by any other program. Else you should look for other
export options. If your modern db don't understand any of the exports
you have, you might want to ask somewone else reading the exported data
and exporting them to something you can read.

That's the best I can do for you.

--
Paul K Egell-Johnsen
Utvikler/PR Manager

Converting First Choice

Post by Ed Gu » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 05:37:45

> I have about 200 recipes in a First Choice database. Is there any way of
> converting the file to a more modern DB.
> First Choice goes back to my DOS days (1983).

I'm not familiar with First Choice, but many people have had success retrieving usable
data from old database formats with ParseRat (http://www.guysoftware.com/parserat).  You
will probably have to use its "generic binary" capability.  It will convert to many
formats, including CSV and DBF.

--
Ed Guy P.Eng,CDP,MIEE
Information Technology Consultant

http://www.guysoftware.com
"Check out HELLLP!, WinHelp author tool for WinWord 2.0 through 2000,
 PlanBee Project Management Planning and Scheduling
 and ParseRat, the File Parser, Converter and Reorganizer"

Converting First Choice

Post by Christopher Sugde » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 05:17:17

My wife insists on using First Choice, so I've had to do this before.

If your version has the export options, just follow the instructions.

Otherwise, I've had some luck creating reports that print to a file and
then using that output to go into a more modern DB.  You may have to
report a few fields at a time, but it can be a fun project.

Chris Sugden
C. Sugden Computing

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Converting First Choice:

> I have about 200 recipes in a First Choice database. Is there any way
of
> converting the file to a more modern DB.
> First Choice goes back to my DOS days (1983).
> Thanks, Tom Dunn

1. First Choice Data Transfer

Hi,

Does anybody know how to transfer a database file from First Choice (with
all available fields) to another format (DBase, Paradox).

When I used FC's own export option it only exports a limit quantity of
fields.

Thanks in advance.

EJ

2. VFP Modeling Wizard

3. First Choice

4. ddl designer

5. A question about First Choice database program

6. Help with SQLServer trigger

7. Desperate: First Choice conversion!

8. D3, WebServeApp, MSSQL, error Name not unique in this context.

9. First Choice / Window Works

10. PFS: First Choice db trashed! help

11. PFS: First Choice

12. Index scan caused by bad convert choice after upgrade to SQL 2000

13. Character sets: choices, choices, ...