IDE raid cards

Post by Kevin Porte » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 04:17:09

I am currently running ProPlus 7.2.1.  I would like to implement a disk
mirror.  Is anyone else doing this with IDE?  If so which card are you
using?  I would also like to know if this has been done with SCSI and which
controller was successful for this.

Kevin Porter
DBMS, Inc.

IDE raid cards

Post by Joe » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:08:53

I am using Duplidisk with D3/linux for the last 6 months and works great
http://www.duplidisk.com/
i am runing D3/Linux and

Quote:> I am currently running ProPlus 7.2.1.  I would like to implement a disk
> mirror.  Is anyone else doing this with IDE?  If so which card are you
> using?  I would also like to know if this has been done with SCSI and
which
> controller was successful for this.

> Kevin Porter
> DBMS, Inc.

1. Raid, Channels, Raid Cards, etc ...

Assumptions:

1. New tower server to run W2K, SQL 2000
2. 10 drives.  Two drives Raid 1 for OS, Two drives Raid 1 for Logs, Six
drives Raid 5 for Data.
3. 1 Raid card, 2 internal channels, 2 external channels, 128 mb of cache.
4. The server shipped to us from Dell with the first two drives in Raid 1.
These drives get one of the two internal channels.  These are marked as the
boot drives.
5. The remaining 8 drives share the second internal channel.  That means
that while the logs will be on Raid 1, separate from the Raid 5 data, they
will still share the second internal channel.

Question:

1. To make the best of the hardware that we have, should I switch things
around so that the LOG raid 1 drives get the first channel all to
themselves, and the OS raid 1 drives would share the second channel with the
Raid 5 data drives? OR, leave it as is?

A description of WHY would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance for your
help!

Mark

2. A question on EstimateIO and EstimateCPU

3. IDE RAID - LINUX

4. Read committed

5. RAID 1+0 with RAID 5 or RAID 0+1 with RAID 5

6. ADO and MS SQL Provider Error

7. To RAID or not to RAID (...or how to RAID)

8. Request for help

9. Raid 0+1 Versus Raid 1 (Raid Again)

10. !ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS!

11. smart card reader, magnetic stripe card reader

12. Credit Card/Debit Card processing

13. blocks size/and RAID 1+0 versus RAID 5 NT4 SS7