sorry about blobs [1000.th]

Post by Jens v. Karsted » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi

who can explain me to declare a blob-field in postgresql ?
- how many blob fields are allowed per table ?

thanks Jens v. Karstedt

sorry about blobs [1000.th]

Post by Frank Z. Gligi » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> who can explain me to declare a blob-field in postgresql ?

If you really mean PostgreSQL and not Progress (SQL) then you are definitely
on the wrong list.

Frank
We are all prisoners of our own experience(s)

1. A Varchar(1000) field vs 1000 Bit fields

Recently we are working on a project that involves storing info about the
user's interests. The user is allowed to choose multiple interests and we
want to be able to query out any users to a specific interest.

Right now there seems to be two ways. Let's assume there are 1000 different
insterests. One way is to have a varchar(1000) or char(1000) field with a
"10101010..."-like string to mark the user interests and we can use
CHARINDEX function for queries. The other way is to use 1000 bit fields. I
would say the latter solution would be faster in executing the queries.

My questions are:
Which scheme do you think is better? Is there any other and more efficient
solutions to achieve this?

Looking forward to your inputs.
TH

2. help on picking a database pgm

3. select the x-th to the y-th rows from one table -jsl

4. soap and xml

5. Make 1000 SQLExecute call or 1 call with 1000 INSERT statements?

6. starting namesseerver on nt2000

7. 1000 connections to Oracle or 1000 connections to messaging server?

8. Looping problem

9. Sorry,sorry! Import and Export

10. import 1000 text files into database

11. Male Donors-$1000/week