What is easiest way to put Access database to web, is it ASP+SQL+Javascript

Post by Juhana Kar » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 05:22:45

What is easiest way to  put Access database to web, is it ASP+SQL+Javascript
(Jscript) ?
I dont have previous knowledge of programming. I have quite good knowledge
of HTML.

I ve heard that there is ColdFusion, Active Server Pages, PHP, Java, and
Perl.
I have to use some of them.
Is learning curve for ASP smallest?

And then I have to know SQL.

I have read that ASP is not really language,you can write it with any script
language like Javascript (Jscript), Vbscript, Perl. I think the Javascript
is best choice, because I can use same language also in client side and It
works in both browsers in client side, so I dont have to learn so many
languages.

Then I need to test my ASP pages, Personal web server (PWS) or Internet
Information Server (IIS)

For Win 98 I can get the PWS.

So is ASP best choice for me?

Where I can get info for ASP? Any web pages  or good books?

I have read that minus for ASP is that my service provider have to have
Microsoft server.

What is your opinion about Macromedia Dreamweaver 4 Ultradev? Is it
good/cool tool or total wreck?

I have read that with Ultradev I can make ColdFusion (CFML), Active Server
Pages, PHP, JSP pages, so you can do all kind of dynamic www database pages
with same tool if I want to. I have already used Dreamweaver 3.

Juhana Kari, Europe, Finland

What is easiest way to put Access database to web, is it ASP+SQL+Javascript

Post by Jim La » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 06:37:37

[posted and mailed]

Quote:>What is easiest way to  put Access database to web, is it
>ASP+SQL+Javascript (Jscript) ?
>I dont have previous knowledge of programming. I have quite good
>knowledge of HTML.

>I ve heard that there is ColdFusion, Active Server Pages, PHP, Java, and
>Perl.
>I have to use some of them.
>Is learning curve for ASP smallest?

No.  Learning curve is smallest for Cold Fusion.  It's tag-based (like
HTML) so it will be easy for you to learn.  All the others have a bigger
learning curve and require you to think more like a programmer because you
will need to do real programming.

Quote:>And then I have to know SQL.

Yes, you'll have to learn SQL in any case.  Buy "Teach Yourself SQL in 10
Minutes" by Ben Forta (Sams, 2000, ISBN 0-672-31664-1).  It tells you what
you need to know in the fewest words and shortest time.

Cold Fusion and SQL are the minimum you'll need to put an Access DB on the
web.  Anything else is more learning and more work for you.

What is easiest way to put Access database to web, is it ASP+SQL+Javascript

Post by Gary Huntres » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 11:07:57

In general I would agree....CF is probably easier to learn for a
non-programmer, but then again, you can get MS Personal Webserver for free,
but CF Server costs $500.

I'd recommend PWS and a visit to http://www.asp101.com and
http://www.15seconds.com for tutorials

--
Regards,

Gary "SuperID" Huntress

FreeSQL.org offering free database hosting to developers
Visit http://www.freesql.org

> [posted and mailed]

> >What is easiest way to  put Access database to web, is it
> >ASP+SQL+Javascript (Jscript) ?
> >I dont have previous knowledge of programming. I have quite good
> >knowledge of HTML.

> >I ve heard that there is ColdFusion, Active Server Pages, PHP, Java, and
> >Perl.
> >I have to use some of them.
> >Is learning curve for ASP smallest?

> No.  Learning curve is smallest for Cold Fusion.  It's tag-based (like
> HTML) so it will be easy for you to learn.  All the others have a bigger
> learning curve and require you to think more like a programmer because you
> will need to do real programming.

> >And then I have to know SQL.

> Yes, you'll have to learn SQL in any case.  Buy "Teach Yourself SQL in 10
> Minutes" by Ben Forta (Sams, 2000, ISBN 0-672-31664-1).  It tells you what
> you need to know in the fewest words and shortest time.

> Cold Fusion and SQL are the minimum you'll need to put an Access DB on the
> web.  Anything else is more learning and more work for you.

What is easiest way to put Access database to web, is it ASP+SQL+Javascript

Post by Zopalla Brow » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 02:03:31

I would have to say  in my experience Coldfusion is the best way to go.  After
getting the cold fusion server set up , you can have a page that uses databases
up in minutes. I started my current job with no SQL knowledge and very little
HTML knowledge. Within a week I had a complete database application up and
running. One text used by most CF programmers "The ColdFusion web application
construction kit" contains a tutorial that gets you through the basics of SQL.
Active Server Pages have the problem of liking microsoft only. It is also a bit
harder to learn. The upside is if you are using visual basic, you can learn how
to make console database applications.

> What is easiest way to  put Access database to web, is it ASP+SQL+Javascript
> (Jscript) ?
> I dont have previous knowledge of programming. I have quite good knowledge
> of HTML.

> I ve heard that there is ColdFusion, Active Server Pages, PHP, Java, and
> Perl.
> I have to use some of them.
> Is learning curve for ASP smallest?

> And then I have to know SQL.

> I have read that ASP is not really language,you can write it with any script
> language like Javascript (Jscript), Vbscript, Perl. I think the Javascript
> is best choice, because I can use same language also in client side and It
> works in both browsers in client side, so I dont have to learn so many
> languages.

> Then I need to test my ASP pages, Personal web server (PWS) or Internet
> Information Server (IIS)

> For Win 98 I can get the PWS.

> So is ASP best choice for me?

> Where I can get info for ASP? Any web pages  or good books?

> I have read that minus for ASP is that my service provider have to have
> Microsoft server.

> What is your opinion about Macromedia Dreamweaver 4 Ultradev? Is it
> good/cool tool or total wreck?

> I have read that with Ultradev I can make ColdFusion (CFML), Active Server
> Pages, PHP, JSP pages, so you can do all kind of dynamic www database pages
> with same tool if I want to. I have already used Dreamweaver 3.

> Juhana Kari, Europe, Finland

What is easiest way to put Access database to web, is it ASP+SQL+Javascript

Post by Juhana Kar » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 04:52:42

Quote:> I would have to say  in my experience Coldfusion is the best way to go.
After
> getting the cold fusion server set up , you can have a page that uses
databases
> up in minutes. I started my current job with no SQL knowledge and very
little
> HTML knowledge. Within a week I had a complete database application up and
> running. One text used by most CF programmers "The ColdFusion web
application
> construction kit" contains a tutorial that gets you through the basics of
SQL.
> Active Server Pages have the problem of liking microsoft only. It is also
a bit
> harder to learn. The upside is if you are using visual basic, you can
learn how
> to make console database applications.

But I  Cold Fusion server is not free (PWS  microsoft  personal web server
is free if I'm right) . And I think that many service providers does not
have Cold Fusion Server. I have not heard any free service provider or not
free which have Cold Fusion Server.

And If the CFML is so easy if you compare to others, why it is not more
widely used, sometimes I have seen CFML pages in the web.

What are major downsides for Coldfusion.

What is easiest way to put Access database to web, is it ASP+SQL+Javascript

Post by Jim La » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 13:38:50

Quote:>But I  Cold Fusion server is not free (PWS  microsoft  personal web
>server is free if I'm right) .

You are comparing two very different things.  PWS (free) or IIS ($$$) are
web servers, serving HTML.  ColdFusion serves ColdFusion, CFML.

If you want to put your own server on the web, you'll need a web server to
serve the HTML.  If you also want to serve CFML, you'll also need a CF
server.

BUT!  Few people put their own servers on the web.  It's so much simpler to
use a web host (service provider).  You really don't need your own web
server at all.

Quote:>And I think that many service providers
>does not have Cold Fusion Server. I have not heard any free service
>provider or not free which have Cold Fusion Server.

There are lots of web hosts that run CF and include it when you sign up to
use their web server.

http://www.budgetweb.com/budgetweb/index.html

At least one free host runs CF too:

http://www.cfm-resources.com/

1. New to SQL, easy question I am sure

I am trying to learn to add data to a table, i have
typed the following:

insert into tblclasshistory
values('922', 'Windows NT Core', '6', '12/13/99', '6000')

The column for the 6 is type integer and the column for
6000 is type money.  I get this:

Msg 260, Level 16, State 1
Disallowed implicit conversion from datatype 'varchar' to datatype 'int'
  Table: 'dbCTEC.dbo.tblclasshistory', Column: 'Num_Students'
  Use the CONVERT function to run this query.
Msg 260, Level 16, State 1
Disallowed implicit conversion from datatype 'varchar' to datatype
'money'
  Table: 'dbCTEC.dbo.tblclasshistory', Column: 'Revenue'
  Use the CONVERT function to run this query.

How do I fix this?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Upgrading to foxpro 2.6a

3. I am getting this message when i am tring to export or import anything using

4. JDBC-ODBC -> MS Access: Not enough space in temporary disk

5. error ORA-01855: AM/A.M. or PM/P.M. required

6. Which database devlopment tool to use?

7. Busy Day = Slowdown from 12 AM - 5 AM

8. SR Programmer/Analyst, San Francisco

9. Use of @am, Am I dumb?

10. SQL Server/ASP stop, back to office at 4:00 A.M. again

11. Oracle8 for SCO : Does it use shared libs - am going to put on Linux

12. CA-SAN FRANCISCO-194207--Java-Web Development-COM-ASP-Javascript-SQL-IIS-ORACLE-

13. Am I missing something incredibly easy?