Informatica PowerMart Question

Post by Dave Brow » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I was told that one of the biggest headaches for a developer is that
PowerMart does not display data result sets in a grid-like spreadsheet
within the development environment -- like Sagent does.  Is this true??
Does the data flow have to run completely through and load into a table
before the developer can validate the correctness of the plans logic?
Sure hope not...that would really stink.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Regards.

Informatica PowerMart Question

Post by slapalut1.. » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

 Yes, it is right, BUT you have a test mode that
allows you to do test run and check the result via
your favorite SQL interface. If I am right,
Informatica provide such a facility in one menu of
the server manager.

 A very very good thing with Informatica is the
immediate portability of your application from the
development environment to your test environment,
then your production.

 Else, you cannot compare Sagent to PowerMart.
Sagent is very close to Microsoft product (VB,
etc.) and stick to NT. PowerMart is Unix AND NT
native.

Best,

Stephan

Quote:> I was told that one of the biggest headaches for
a developer is that
> PowerMart does not display data result sets in a

grid-like spreadsheet
Quote:> within the development environment -- like

Sagent does.  Is this true??
Quote:> Does the data flow have to run completely

through and load into a table
Quote:> before the developer can validate the

correctness of the plans logic?

> Sure hope not...that would really stink.

> Thanks in advance for your help!!!

> Regards.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Informatica PowerMart Question

Post by kary_kalapa.. » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

   Informatica does let you dump the output of the transformation into a
file and you can view the output in the file. But there is no grid like
view as in Sagent ( or atleast that was the way it was when i last checked
it in mid '99) , which is very helpfull especially in the development stage
when you want to check if the transformations you have applied are correct.

-Kary Kalapanda.

> I was told that one of the biggest headaches for a developer is that
> PowerMart does not display data result sets in a grid-like spreadsheet
> within the development environment -- like Sagent does.  Is this true??
> Does the data flow have to run completely through and load into a table
> before the developer can validate the correctness of the plans logic?
> Sure hope not...that would really stink.

> Thanks in advance for your help!!!

> Regards.

Informatica PowerMart Question

Post by -snea » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

You can use the performance details, to see how many inputrows
and how many outputrows the transformations have. In the general
tab there is a checkbox, collect performance data. When the session
is running you and you select the running session (lowers pane, not
the tree!) you can goto the menu and select the performance details
item.

--
~sneal

>   Informatica does let you dump the output of the transformation into a
>file and you can view the output in the file. But there is no grid like
>view as in Sagent ( or atleast that was the way it was when i last checked
>it in mid '99) , which is very helpfull especially in the development stage
>when you want to check if the transformations you have applied are correct.

>-Kary Kalapanda.

>> I was told that one of the biggest headaches for a developer is that
>> PowerMart does not display data result sets in a grid-like spreadsheet
>> within the development environment -- like Sagent does.  Is this true??
>> Does the data flow have to run completely through and load into a table
>> before the developer can validate the correctness of the plans logic?
>> Sure hope not...that would really stink.

>> Thanks in advance for your help!!!

>> Regards.

Informatica PowerMart Question

Post by Gunnar Witsch » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

You can set a tracing level on each transformation. A transformation is one
step in a mapping and a mapping compares to a program. When you set it to
'data' it'll show the input, local variable used in the transformation, and
the output in a log file. This comes very handy for finding problems.

Gunnar
www.freetechnicaltraining.com

> I was told that one of the biggest headaches for a developer is that
> PowerMart does not display data result sets in a grid-like spreadsheet
> within the development environment -- like Sagent does.  Is this true??
> Does the data flow have to run completely through and load into a table
> before the developer can validate the correctness of the plan's logic?
> Sure hope not...that would really stink.

> Thanks in advance for your help!!!

> Regards.

Informatica PowerMart Question

Post by Marc Eilen » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Yes, sometimes this really helps. But what you can also do is to do a test
writing in a flat file with a limited number of rows. So you can verify
that the output of the whole transformation is what you need.
Therefore you can easily change the target options of the mapping using the
ServerManager. Just a few clicks.

Greetings,
Marc

Quote:> You can set a tracing level on each transformation. A transformation is
one
> step in a mapping and a mapping compares to a program. When you set it to
> 'data' it'll show the input, local variable used in the transformation,
and
> the output in a log file. This comes very handy for finding problems.

> Gunnar
> www.freetechnicaltraining.com

1. Differences of Informatica PowerMart from version 4

Hi,

Is anybody currently using Informtica PowerMart - version 6 I hink? Do
you know how it compares to version 4? As I recall, version 4 had 4
GUI components. How is it different now? What additional features does
it offer now?

John

2. Multi-line query problems

3. Informatica's PowerMart Date Functions

4. Ending Inventory Calculation causing performance problems...

5. Informatica's PowerMart Date functions

6. error 80004005

7. Powermart Informatica

8. Database links

9. Looking for Informatica Powermart

10. Looking for Powermart (informatica).

11. Informatica's PowerMart Date functions

12. Informatica's Powermart