FPW to Mac conversion

Post by G.A.D.Mil » Tue, 13 Sep 1994 20:29:30

OK, I was a little naive. I thought I'd be able to take my FPW2.6 application,
slap it on to the Mac, let the Transporter do it's stuff, tweak it a little,
and all would be fine. The reality is proving a bit different.

The latest in a long string of problems is this: in FPW if I enter data into a
field and press 'Enter' the cursor skips to the next field. If I do this on
the Mac it seems to think I have pushed the Save button at the end of the
screen, and it does the appropriate processing. Why? And how do I make it work
the same way it does on FPW? The application is unusable at the moment.

Any other helpfull tips on FPW to Mac conversions? It's a nightmare.

Thanks,

Drummond Miles

FPW to Mac conversion

Post by Steve Moo » Tue, 13 Sep 1994 22:10:44

Quote:> OK, I was a little naive. I thought I'd be able to take my FPW2.6 application,
> slap it on to the Mac, let the Transporter do it's stuff, tweak it a little,
> and all would be fine. The reality is proving a bit different.

> The latest in a long string of problems is this: in FPW if I enter data into a
> field and press 'Enter' the cursor skips to the next field. If I do this on
> the Mac it seems to think I have pushed the Save button at the end of the
> screen, and it does the appropriate processing. Why? And how do I make it work
> the same way it does on FPW? The application is unusable at the moment.

> Any other helpfull tips on FPW to Mac conversions? It's a nightmare.

> Thanks,

> Drummond Miles

Drummond,

There are probably a couple ways to 'intervene' on the behavior you're
seeing.  The quickest, and for the user--most painful perhaps, is to set
KEYCOMP to WINDOWS.

Another route is to examine the 'SAVE' button to see if it is set as the
default button (go into the screen builder, double-click on the 'SAVE'
button, and check the name of the button.  If it begins with the two
characters '\!' then it is set as the default.)  On a Mac, the default
button is the button that is activated by pressing the <enter> or <return>
key.  If you don't want this behavior in this case, remove these two
characters from its name.  It will become impervious to the <enter> and
<return> keys--the user will have to click on it.

I am not sure which setting takes precedence (KEYCOMP or the '\!'
default--If you have KEYCOMP=WINDOWS and the '\!' what the outcome will be)
so I can't help you out there.

Good luck.

Steve.
--

FPW to Mac conversion

Post by leebe » Wed, 14 Sep 1994 01:10:27

> > OK, I was a little naive. I thought I'd be able to take my FPW2.6 application,
> > slap it on to the Mac, let the Transporter do it's stuff, tweak it a little,
> > and all would be fine. The reality is proving a bit different.

> > The latest in a long string of problems is this: in FPW if I enter data into a
> > field and press 'Enter' the cursor skips to the next field. If I do this on
> > the Mac it seems to think I have pushed the Save button at the end of the
> > screen, and it does the appropriate processing. Why? And how do I make it work
> > the same way it does on FPW? The application is unusable at the moment.

> > Any other helpfull tips on FPW to Mac conversions? It's a nightmare.

> > Thanks,

> > Drummond Miles
> Drummond,
> There are probably a couple ways to 'intervene' on the behavior you're
> seeing.  The quickest, and for the user--most painful perhaps, is to set
> KEYCOMP to WINDOWS.

Frankly, I'm afriad SET KEYCOMP TO WINDOWS is going to be necessary
anyway if you are using a foundation read environmetn where the user has
to be able to keystroke to the system menu. The MAC look & feel is too
mouse dependent for serious dataentry use, and IMAHO, its time Apple
thought about revising their user paradigm to reflect the Windows philosophy:
Any thing you can do with a mouse, you should be able to do with the
keyboard.

FPW to Mac conversion

Post by turned » Wed, 14 Sep 1994 18:14:26

> Frankly, I'm afriad SET KEYCOMP TO WINDOWS is going to be necessary
> anyway if you are using a foundation read environmetn where the user has
> to be able to keystroke to the system menu. The MAC look & feel is too
> mouse dependent for serious dataentry use, and IMAHO, its time Apple
> thought about revising their user paradigm to reflect the Windows philosophy:
> Any thing you can do with a mouse, you should be able to do with the
> keyboard.

Gee... that's a nice attitude. For your infomation, the Macintosh can
be used for serious data-entry use. Perhaps the DOS UI paradigm is a
little strange?

Forget KEYCOMPS.

Macintosh users are *used* to using Tab to go from one field to the
next during data entry, and then pressing Return to hit the default
button (always the button with the thick outline). There is no need to
ditch the Mac version of FoxPro application.

Just make sure CONFIRM is set to ON.

And don't forget to remove any pop-up menus or radio buttons from your
data entry screen - they're hell for data entry on any platform!

David Turnedge.

FPW to Mac conversion

Post by leebe » Thu, 15 Sep 1994 01:14:53

> > to be able to keystroke to the system menu. The MAC look & feel is too
> > mouse dependent for serious dataentry use, and IMAHO, its time Apple
> > thought about revising their user paradigm to reflect the Windows philosophy:
> > Any thing you can do with a mouse, you should be able to do with the
> > keyboard.
> Gee... that's a nice attitude. For your infomation, the Macintosh can
> be used for serious data-entry use. Perhaps the DOS UI paradigm is a
> little strange?
> Macintosh users are *used* to using Tab to go from one field to the
> next during data entry, and then pressing Return to hit the default
> button (always the button with the thick outline). There is no need to
> ditch the Mac version of FoxPro application.
> Just make sure CONFIRM is set to ON.
> And don't forget to remove any pop-up menus or radio buttons from your
> data entry screen - they're hell for data entry on any platform!
> David Turnedge.

Sorry Dave, but you are wrong. I was attempting to port a FP foundation
read application to the Mac, and had lotsa grief until we SET KEYCOMP TO
WINDOWS. Why?
Okay, first of all, while KEYCOMP was set to MAC, we couldn't:
1. TAB or BACKTAB to the navigation buttons on the screen - not fields -
   buttons!
2. We could only find a quadruple-combination key-stroke to get to the
   drop-down menu (in my foundation read application, my drop down SYSMENU
   replaces the Mac system menu - perhaps this is not the case with
   SET DESKTOP OFF).
With KEYCOMP set to WINDOWS, we could at least TAB & BACKTAB to the
navigational buttons. The Foundat. Read drop-down menu was accessible by
only a double-key-combo with KEYCOMP=WINDOWS, which still sucked, but was
better than quadruple. I might point out that to immediately get a
particular menu pad, requires quintuple & triple key-combos for
KEYCOMP=MAC & KEYCOMP=WINDOWS, respectively.

And Excuse me for asking rhetorically, but what the hell is so great about

about not being able to get to that MAC system menu except by mouse? And
what's so wonderful about having system-level options on the MAC system
menu disappear when my SYSMENU replaces it?

SOrry, the MAC interface was a wonderful innovation when it came out, but
its behind the times when it comes to serious developement (and I should
know, I'm a serious developer). I mean really, try fitting a data entry
application on one of those Mac Classic screens! Less than 20 Rows? Whudda
crock. I've deliberately over-bid FP Mac projects just because of the
problems with writing applications on the various version of the Mac, i.e.
Quadra (nice) vs. Mac Classic.

Defectionately Yours,
leebert!

FPW to Mac conversion

Post by Job Oostind » Sat, 17 Sep 1994 22:14:36

: Frankly, I'm afriad SET KEYCOMP TO WINDOWS is going to be necessary
: anyway if you are using a foundation read environmetn where the user has
: to be able to keystroke to the system menu. The MAC look & feel is too
: mouse dependent for serious dataentry use, and IMAHO, its time Apple
: thought about revising their user paradigm to reflect the Windows philosoph
: Any thing you can do with a mouse, you should be able to do with the
: keyboard.
... but first of all, YOU have got to learn the Macintosh Userinterface
Guidelines.
Everything that can be done using a pull-down menu, can be mapped to a
command-key equivalent.
When you like this imitation of Mac Interface (called Windows) that much,
stick to it and do not be a nuisance to us with your PC-minded thoughts.

Job Oostindie

|                                                                    |
|  Job Oostindie                    Information Engineer             |

|  Phone: +31 8380-12917            Holland                          |
|                                                                    |
|  Fax:   +31 8380-12917 (try twice within a few minutes)            |
|                                                                    |

1. fpw 2.6 and fp 2.6 for MAC together

Hi All!
I've got multiuser aplication in FPW 2.6. I want to migrate to FoxPro 2.6
for MAC. I want to use FPW 2.6 and FP 2.6 for MAC on stations (some under
Win 95 another under MacOs) and all tables on the Windows NT Server?. Is
this posible?
Leszek

2. HELP!!! sql select command output

3. Porting FPW 2.6 code to the Mac

4. Universal method to retrieve table name from a database

5. Mac apps bark on FPW

6. Full time Job in NJ

7. FPW 2.6 to FP/Mac?

8. join the resulset of two store proc

9. FPW to Mac?

10. FPW 2.5b and FoxBASE+/Mac

11. Files created on FPW not being read on FP/Mac with Pathworks Network

12. FPW 2.6 Win->Mac

13. Migrating FPW to Mac problem