Shared memory problem with Postgres

Post by Paul Schmid » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello everyone,

I'm having a wee bit of a problem getting Postgresql to work on Solaris
2.6. When I start the postmaster I get the following error:

IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432010, size=120,
permission=700
IpcMemoryIdGet: shmget failed (No such file or directory) key=5432010,
size=120, permission=0
IpcMemoryAttach: shmat failed (Invalid argument) id=-2
FATAL 1:  AttachSLockMemory: could not attach segment

I've already generously increased the amount of shared memory segments as
suggested by Postgresql and rebooted. My /etc/system file looks like this:
 set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=268435456
 set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=200
 set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=200
 set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=200
 set semsys:seminfo_semmap=250
 set semsys:seminfo_semmni=500
 set semsys:seminfo_semmns=500
 set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=500
 set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=500
 set semsys:seminfo_semume=100

Has anyone had luck getting Postgresql to run on 2.6/x86? I was using
MySQL but I now have the need for full transacation support which
unfortunately MySQL doesn't have. Postgresql looked like a good idea
but this problem has me stumped.

Using postgresql version 6.5.3 and Solaris 2.6/x86 with latest patches.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Sorry for the cross-posting but I'm a
bit desperate at this point. I already asked this same question on
alt.solaris.x86 but got no response.

--
Paul Schmidt

Shared memory problem with Postgres

Post by Paul Schmid » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello everyone,
> I'm having a wee bit of a problem getting Postgresql to work on Solaris
> 2.6. When I start the postmaster I get the following error:

[snip]

Eek! Nevermind, I found the problem. Good gawd I am such a maroon
sometimes. I had the minimum shared memory segment size set too high.

Sorry to bother everyone.

--
Paul Schmidt

Shared memory problem with Postgres

Post by Rich Tee » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Eek! Nevermind, I found the problem. Good gawd I am such a maroon
> sometimes. I had the minimum shared memory segment size set too high.

Talking of which, you can probably safely remove all of that stuff in
/etc/system.  I'm running PostgreSQL here, without any modifications
in /etc/system (for it).

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.

The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence.  (With apologies to Edsger W. Dijkstra)

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Voice: +1 (250) 763-6205
WWW: www.rite-group.com

1. Shared Memory Size vs Physical Memory Size

Can somebody please explain the pros and cons of increasing either the
initial virtual memory segment or adding a further segment via "onmode -
a" on a machine that is Informix Dynamic Server dedicated. Our
calculated shared memory size, as can be seen below, is only some 50%
of our actual physical memory. Any pointers/hints would, as ever, be
much appreciated. We have two instances running (LIVE and TEST) - see
outout from onstat below. Our Informix application connects via shared
memory.

ICL Teamserver M754i
SCO Openserver 5.0.4 (finally Y2K compliant ! as at yesterday !!)
Informix Dynamic Server 7.30.UC2
640Mb RAM

LIVE
onstat yields 258048 Kbytes

TEST
onstat yields 90112 Kbytes

As can be seen, the sum of the above is somewhat less than 640Mb.

Regards
Glyn Balmer

--
If it always works, why don't parachutists
pull the emergency 'chute first?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Oracle Web Application Server util_http.request error for SSL

3. problems setting shared memory on linux

4. inserting values in sqlserver 6,5

5. shared memory problem (ORA-04031)

6. retrieve node values from a mining model

7. Problems in Oracle 7.2.3 and shared memory

8. error 17824. unambe to write to listenon connection

9. Oracle Shared Memory Problem (DEC UNIX 4.0)

10. exp crashes with shared memory problem

11. problem with shared memory

12. Shared Memory Segments Problem Oracle 8.0.5 on Suse Linux 6.0

13. Q: Shared memory problem duringserver start up