Blob update performance

Post by Yannick Lebe » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 04:44:28

I have a serious performance degradation when updating a blob on SQL Server
7.0.  I used a sniffer and discovered that the blob is transfered over the
network as a unicode text stream of the blob in hexadecimal.

So the transfer of the blob over the network is four times (2x for the
hexadecimal representation, and another 2x for the unicode format) the
actual size of the blob.

Can anyone tell me how to transfer the blob directly in binary format when
updating it?  I'm using ODBC and MDAC 2.6.

Thanks.

Blob update performance

Post by Dinesh.T.K » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 05:01:53

Yannick,

Is it with ref. to ADO ?
anyways refer this excellent article:
http://www.sqlmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=5107

Dinesh.

Quote:> I have a serious performance degradation when updating a blob on SQL
Server
> 7.0.  I used a sniffer and discovered that the blob is transfered over the
> network as a unicode text stream of the blob in hexadecimal.

> So the transfer of the blob over the network is four times (2x for the
> hexadecimal representation, and another 2x for the unicode format) the
> actual size of the blob.

> Can anyone tell me how to transfer the blob directly in binary format when
> updating it?  I'm using ODBC and MDAC 2.6.

> Thanks.

1. Blob update performance

I have a serious performance degradation when updating a blob on SQL Server
7.0.  I used a sniffer and discovered that the blob is transfered over the
network as a unicode text stream of the blob in hexadecimal.

So the transfer of the blob over the network is four times (2x for the
hexadecimal representation, and another 2x for the unicode format) the
actual size of the blob.

Can anyone tell me how to transfer the blob directly in binary format when
updating it?  I'm using ODBC and MDAC 2.6.

Thanks.

2. replication fails if schema and data are not initialised

3. Newbie DBE Question

4. SQL Server Performance Problem - Good query performance, bad update performance

5. FoxPro2 & Paradox 3.5 questions -

6. Thanks for responses on System Performance - it is update performance

7. Scroling in server

8. Sever performance issues with SQL2000 while using for BLOB storage

9. Severe Performance issue while using BLOB

10. BLOBS AND WINDOWS 97 performance issues

11. BLOB Performance

12. Storing Images in Blobs versus Storing in Filesystem - Performance Issues