Remote views

Post by Rick Fitc » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Is there a way to create remote views that act like MS Access remote
connections?
In access you set up the remote connection (via odbc).  Then if you create
a query, it seems to do a pass-through query returning only the desired
records.

In vfp, if I define a remote view and then run a sql-select against it, it
downloads the entire table before applying the where criteria to limit the
data.  I don't want to use a parameter query because I might select on
different criteria each time.  I write a sqlexec type pass-through query
but I just thought it would be nice if it was as easy as access ;-)
Rick Fitch

Remote views

Post by Anders Altbe » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> In vfp, if I define a remote view and then run a sql-select against
> it, it downloads the entire table before applying the where criteria
> to limit the data.  I don't want to use a parameter query because I
> might select on different criteria each time.   I write a sqlexec type

pass-through query

Rick
If you use SPT you don't need any views at all, you need a connection.
If you use views they can be opened with USE view NODATA [NOREQUERY].
What are you view properties for FetchAsNeeded, FetchSize and
MaxRecords?   The connection properties Asynchronous and PacketSize can
make a difference.

-Anders

!^NavFont02F02500004HI514C6C

--

11/12/97 17:12
---------

Remote views

Post by Craig Berntso » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I suggest that you look at QBF Builder at www.classycomponents.com. It will
allow you to use different criteria each time you make your query. Highly
recommended.

--
Craig Berntson
Microsoft Fox MVP

Quote:>Is there a way to create remote views that act like MS Access remote