Gating of comp.databases.pick

Post by Dale E. Hig » Sun, 04 Jul 1993 03:41:54

Hello.  Now that this group is off the ground, how about a discussion per
gating this newsgroup to a mailing list ala comp.sys.prime?  The reason I
suggest this (and don't volunteer for the task myself) is that my news
feed is quite flakey.  Has been for years and probably won't get any better
(no time to devote to such a low priority item).  In the meantime, if you
see a lot of "huh?"s from me, it's because I get only about 25-50% of the
traffic in any given group.

Ob questions:  (e-mail reply please, post it also if you wish)

    to hunt through all of my source and upcase everthing (or convert the
    checks to the appropriate case)?

2.  I am used to the Fundamental Keybindings for the Command Editor on the
    Prime, and am quite used to Ctrl-Z (back one command in the stack),
    which happens to cause a program break on SUN boxes.  I have noticed
    that at some times (after I have done a lot of dinking around between
    different environments), the Ctrl-Z does not seem to blow me out of
    PI/Open.  Somehow, quite unintentionally, I am getting PI/Open to
    intercept the keystroke and act as I intend.  Without my spending any
    brain cells on the issue, anyone got any hints?  (BTW, yes, I am aware
    that an 'fg' will get me back into PI/Open with no harm done.)

3.  How many of you have gone through Prime Information to PI/Open on a SUN
    conversions?  Any hints on what to look out for/gotchas?

Thanks in advance.

|     System error 23746: User too stupid for automation    !uupsi!rrc!deh  |

Gating of comp.databases.pick

Post by David Ruggier » Sun, 04 Jul 1993 08:47:44

Quote:>Hello.  Now that this group is off the ground, how about a discussion per
>gating this newsgroup to a mailing list ala comp.sys.prime?  The reason I
>suggest this (and don't volunteer for the task myself) is that my news
>feed is quite flakey.  Has been for years and probably won't get any better
>(no time to devote to such a low priority item).  In the meantime, if you
>see a lot of "huh?"s from me, it's because I get only about 25-50% of the
>traffic in any given group.

My thought all along was that the gating of comp.databases.pick to a
mailing list was a Good Thing (tm), and should be done if at all possible.
This could happen unidirectionally (all posts bundled into one big
message, sent to the mailing list subscribers) or (better) bidirectionally
(posts->list *and* mailed replies posted to the newsgroup). The big
sticking points are (1) good gating software (2) a very reliable
net.connection (3) time to administer it all.

I have (2), could probably find (1) if I asked the comp.sys.prime
administrators, but will not for the forseeable future have anywhere
near enough (3). Any other takers out there for a very important and
useful job?

David
--

Post by Andrew Finkensta » Sun, 11 Jul 1993 09:34:46

>My thought all along was that the gating of comp.databases.pick to a
>mailing list was a Good Thing (tm), and should be done if at all possible.
>This could happen unidirectionally (all posts bundled into one big
>message, sent to the mailing list subscribers) or (better) bidirectionally
>(posts->list *and* mailed replies posted to the newsgroup). The big
>sticking points are (1) good gating software (2) a very reliable
>net.connection (3) time to administer it all.

I have time, I think. :)  It's up and running now.  Send to

to send to me to join you up.

--

Systems Analyst     |  Vista-Chrome, Homes & Land Publishing Corporation
                    |  1600 Capital Circle SW, Tallahassee Florida 32310
+1 904-575-0189     |  GEnie Postmaster, Unix & Internet RoundTables Sysop

1. Mail List gating of comp.databases.pick

about the comp.databases.pick gateway that he'd set up:

....and that's all the information I have. Is anyone else out there
using this service to read or post to c.d.p? Andy, is this service still
up and running? Pickish minds want to know...

David
--

2. Null and non printable character with Parameter object

3. Rename comp.databases.pick to comp.databases.mv ?

4. Setup for TSQL Debugger

5. comp.databases.oracle comp.databases.sybase comp.databases.informix

6. Cascading Triggers not firing?

7. alt.comp.databases,comp.databases,comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

8. MSDE and Web hosting services

9. comp.databases.pick cd

10. comp.databases.pick FAQ