Potential new OpenIngres/OpenROAD developer

Potential new OpenIngres/OpenROAD developer

Post by M.J.Hal » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I have recently been offered a position with a firm, developing in Paradox
for 6 months, (which I currently work in), then being trained and moved
to the OpenIngres/OpenROAD development team.

I know absolutely nothing about OpenIngres/OpenROAD.

I have also been offered another positon with another firm training then
developing in Access 97.

I have yet to decide which to take.

Can anyone offer any comments e.g.

The major differences between OpenIngres/OpenROAD to Access or Paradox?

How easy a transition would it be for a Paradox user to be trained in
OpenIngres/OpenROAD?

How well paid are OpenIngres/OpenROAD developers paid in comparison to
Access developers?

As far as I have been able to learn it would appear that Access developers
are in much greater demand than OpenIngres/OpenROAD developers, but I
understand that OpenROAD is a new product and a new version of OpenIngres
has recently been released.

Any comments on how easy it is for OpenIngres/Road developers to find
vacancies and the future of the product, would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mickael Hall

Potential new OpenIngres/OpenROAD developer

Post by Armand Pirv » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Well, Access is not an open solution. It is quite easy to use and to
develop in it, but it sticks only to Access. You can not develop and you
can not use other DBMS. Whilst, using CA-OpenRoad, you can use any major
DBMS you want (i.e. Ingres, OpenIngres, Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server,
Informix). The OpenRoad applications can be ported accross multiple
platforms, whithout any changes. More, the latest releases of OpenRoad
generate code and include also reports generators. OpenRoad gives you
the flexibility of defining templates from your work, so whatever you
have designed, you can reuse without writing any source code line in any
application you want.
For jobs, just seek on www.jobserve.com. You will find a lot of good
jobs with good rates.

Cheers,