SQL language standards

Post by Nik Reinhar » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 14:57:34

hi

how can i write portable sql statements, i.e. how can i find out, witch sql
features of a rdbms are not proprietary? is there a link, where i can get an
abstract about sql standards?

thanks
nik

SQL language standards

Post by Jim Kenned » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 15:06:03

SQL standard has multiple levels of compliance and different databases
comply at different levels and to varying degrees with each level.  Not as
simple as standard unless you mean lowest common denominator.
Jim

Quote:> hi

> how can i write portable sql statements, i.e. how can i find out, witch
sql
> features of a rdbms are not proprietary? is there a link, where i can get
an
> abstract about sql standards?

> thanks
> nik

SQL language standards

Post by P A Hill & E V Goodal » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:29:58

> SQL standard has multiple levels of compliance and different databases
> comply at different levels and to varying degrees with each level.  Not as
> simple as standard unless you mean lowest common denominator.

Well these levels of compliance must be defined somewhere.

-Paul

SQL language standards

Post by Bob Hairgro » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:45:20

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:57:34 +0200, "Nik Reinhard"

>hi

>how can i write portable sql statements, i.e. how can i find out, witch sql
>features of a rdbms are not proprietary? is there a link, where i can get an
>abstract about sql standards?

>thanks
>nik

http://www.mimer.com

There is a link to their "SQL Conformance Test" page. You copy your
SQL statement into the window, submit it and it tells you what level
SQL compliance the statement satisfies.

They make nifty database products, too.

Bob Hairgrove

SQL language standards

Post by Jim Kenned » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 12:28:13

Ansi.
Try looking there.
Jim

> > SQL standard has multiple levels of compliance and different databases
> > comply at different levels and to varying degrees with each level.  Not
as
> > simple as standard unless you mean lowest common denominator.

> Well these levels of compliance must be defined somewhere.

> -Paul

SQL language standards

Post by Carlos Bromansk » Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:41:27

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:57:34 +0200, "Nik Reinhard"

> >hi

> >how can i write portable sql statements, i.e. how can i find out, witch
sql
> >features of a rdbms are not proprietary? is there a link, where i can get
an
> >abstract about sql standards?

> >thanks
> >nik

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> There is a link to their "SQL Conformance Test" page. You copy your
> SQL statement into the window, submit it and it tells you what level
> SQL compliance the statement satisfies.

> They make nifty database products, too.

> Bob Hairgrove

I got all e*d about seeing the mimer "SQL Conformance Test" page but I
couldn't find it at the mimer site.

There is also "a large but somewhat dated SQL conformance test suite at
NIST" (quoting the Ocelot site) at
http://www.veryComputer.com/

FWIW, there's some good info at the Ocelot site at
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Good luck! It's a jungle out there. DBMS makers play fast and loose with SQL
compliance.
- cb

SQL language standards

Post by Bob Hairgro » Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:25:49

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:41:27 -0500, "Carlos Bromanski"

>> On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:57:34 +0200, "Nik Reinhard"

>> >hi

>> >how can i write portable sql statements, i.e. how can i find out, witch
>sql
>> >features of a rdbms are not proprietary? is there a link, where i can get
>an
>> >abstract about sql standards?

>> >thanks
>> >nik

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> There is a link to their "SQL Conformance Test" page. You copy your
>> SQL statement into the window, submit it and it tells you what level
>> SQL compliance the statement satisfies.

>> They make nifty database products, too.

>> Bob Hairgrove

>I got all e*d about seeing the mimer "SQL Conformance Test" page but I
>couldn't find it at the mimer site.

>There is also "a large but somewhat dated SQL conformance test suite at
>NIST" (quoting the Ocelot site) at
>http://www.veryComputer.com/

>FWIW, there's some good info at the Ocelot site at
>http://www.veryComputer.com/

>Good luck! It's a jungle out there. DBMS makers play fast and loose with SQL
>compliance.
>- cb

Sorry, here's more accurate info:

They expanded their validator to three SQL standards (SQL-200x, SQL-99
and SQL-92). There's one validator per language, accessible through
this link:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

The main web page also has a link, but then you have to find the link
again on the developer page.

1. Microsoft SQL and SQL (standard query language)?

What is the difference between Microsoft SQL and  SQL (standard query
language)?

I have been out of touch with database application for a while. But I go
back to running dBase II on my Kaypro II CP/M system, in '83. Then there was
Ashton-Tate's dBase III, IV. IV incorporated SQL before microsoft was
anything but DOS.  Paradox and Foxpro were the competition. dBase was
aquired by Boorland which recently sold it off to ?? and then came out with
InterBase. Paradox picked up by Corel. Foxpro became Microsoft Visual
Foxpro. Microsoft Access.

Can someone fill in the gaps? Where did Microsoft SQL and Oracle evolve
from?

And what has happened to the SQL (standard query language)?
Thanks
Greg

2. return

3. Can't run Paradox 4 for DOS in Windows 95

4. Need Help for instance and initialization file

5. SQL-Cursors (language standard ?)

6. SQL Standard language

7. SQL-Cursors (language standard ?)

8. Standard Query Language?

9. Language Manual - VFP standard edition

10. Full-text index and Multiple Languages: Do I need a Server for each language