Help with config.fx, config.fp, config.fpw files

Help with config.fx, config.fp, config.fpw files

Post by Brian Randal » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

We have a problem at the company I work for.  We are still using FoxBase+,
FoxPro for DOS and FoxPro 2.6a for development.  We don't really have anyone
here who understands the proper way to set up these configuration files.  We
have customers who are reporting 'Out of Memory' errors on their machines
when running our software.
This one happens to be written in FoxBase+.  Here is what our config.fx
looks like:

mvcount=1024
files=55
buffers=55

I am pretty sure the mvcount is kind of high.  I have read somewhere that if
you include a files and buffers statement in your config.fx, you must be
sure to verify that the same settings in your config.sys are at least 10
higher.  Is this correct?  Any help that anyone can give on this subject
will be greatly appreciated.  If additional information is needed, e-mail me
and I will send it.

Thanks,

Brian

Help with config.fx, config.fp, config.fpw files

Post by Shar Feldhei » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Brian:
The example CONFIG has mixed definitions. Part belong in the CONFIG.FPW, part
belong in the CONFIG.SYS. These files are distinctly different. The first goes
with Fox, the second belongs to the OS at boot up.

mvcount=1024        <-CONFIG.FPW
files=55                    <-CONFIG.SYS
buffers=55               <-CONFIG.SYS

Here is an alternate CONFIG.FPW
TITLE = Visual FOXPRO 5.0 - Home                     &&Fox Desktop Title
SAFETY=OFF
mvcount=1024
MEMLIMIT=40, 4096, 8192                                     &&40% of memory, Min
4K, Max 8K
DEFAULT = c:\vfp5                                                  &&Default for
Temp files, Cursors, etc.
RESOURCE = c:\vfp5\FOXUSER.DBF                &&Location of Resource file
COMMAND = DO HOME() + "VFPSTART.PRG"    &&Run this command at startup

Dispite the reference to VFP 5.0, the statements work in FPW 2.x

hth

--
Shar Feldheim, President
PC Software, INC  - Visual Foxpro Application Development

Help with config.fx, config.fp, config.fpw files

Post by Michal Tvrd » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

In case of FoxBase you can use MVARSIZ line in config.fx.
In case of FoxPro: it is a must to run extended version. Memory ammount
depends on physical memory (of course) and MEMLIMIT line of config.fp.
MVCOUNT has only influence to number of memory variables.

Michal

Quote:>have customers who are reporting 'Out of Memory' errors on their machines

>mvcount=1024
>files=55
>buffers=55

1. pgsql/config config.guess config.sub

CVSROOT:        /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql

Modified files:
        config         : config.guess config.sub

Log message:
        update from upstream

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

2. C++ Class Library for Oracle 8 OCI

3. config.fpw & File Locations

4. How to access form methods from a report?

5. CONFIG.FP Question

6. Communication Link Failure Fix

7. config.fp options

8. How to recover a databe?