dividing tables amongst different users

Post by Erik Hamoe » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

We are designing a database for the following situation. There are
several user groups each with their own data and there is data which is
central to al users. We thought it would be logical to make one central
owner/schema with the central tables and an owner/schema for each
separate user group with a copy of the user-specific tables. Oracle and
SQLServer have no problem with this. Referential integrity (for
instance) can be maintained through different owners/schemas.

Question: is this a good use of the user/schema concept or would it be
better to duplicate the tables under one owner and prefix the table
names with an owner name. Or should we maybe make a new database for
each user? Will there be a referential integrity problem if we start
using DB2 (for instance)?

Thanks,
greetings from Amsterdam,
Erik Hamoen.

1. linked tables via ODBC on different machines and different users

How can I link MS SQL Server 6.5 tables in MS Access 7.0 without
installing ODBC datasources on every machine or for every user.
The user should not have to login or install something!
I thought installing a File-DSN on a common network address would
be enough, but it didn't work. And in the connection options there is
a workstation ID to be defined.

   Thanx for answer!  Werner

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ODBC

3. Dividing 2 fields that have different data types

4. Progress bar problem (BatchMove)

5. Setting different default members for different users

6. How to do simple insert on variable table name

7. Different priorities for different users

8. Urgent : New Era : refresh window

9. Different views with same name for different users

10. Interbase:Different Privileges for Different Users?

11. Stored procedures reacts different to different users

12. different nls_date_format for different users

13. Two tables with same name in different user not allowed