CREATE INDEX

Post by Tim Jone » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 23:36:24

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know why the CREATE INDEX fails from within the SQL Data Manager
with error message:

"The application encountered an incompatible mode error(Btrieve Error 88)"
when I have the target database open by other processes ?

Can you NOT build a new index while others have the database open ?

Tim Jones

CREATE INDEX

Post by Guy Dawso » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 03:54:24

> Hi Everyone,

> Does anyone know why the CREATE INDEX fails from within the SQL Data Manager
> with error message:

> "The application encountered an incompatible mode error(Btrieve Error 88)"
> when I have the target database open by other processes ?

> Can you NOT build a new index while others have the database open ?

This is indeed the case. Once the process has been started others cannot
access the file until it is complete.

We recently added a couple of indicies to a large logging file. We found
a time when the file was not in use, renamed it, created a new empty file
with the additional indicies and then copied the record over.

This was a bore but did reduce the amount of downtime the users suffered
to just the time needed for the rename and creation stages.

Guy
Guy Dawson                    I.T. Manager              Crossflight Ltd