Cognos Transformer Category Automation

Post by A. Johns » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 23:32:04

Hello,

Does anybody know of a way of automating the process of assosiating
user classes to certain categories within a cube?

For example,

If I have dimentions named global/ region / subregion / country and I
wish to assign User Class A so that they can only see a particular
countries details.

Doing this manually this would mean excluding all dimentions of this
view by using a custom view and selecting exclude.

I have hundereds of these exclusions to perform and have all the data
within an excel sheet.

Is it possible to create a script which may perform this for me?

Thanks in Advance!

Cognos Transformer Category Automation

Post by Harry Skeffingto » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 06:52:41

You can use apexing and filtercat for user class views.

ala...

ViewAdd "NorthEast" Dimension "Region" ViewUserClass "NorthEast_UC" Apex
"NorthEast Region"

--Harry

--
Harry Skeffington
Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

(617)551-7997

Cognos Transformer Category Automation

Post by Brad Harri » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 07:13:17

That would work but if you want to retain more than one category then you
are toast.  So, this is for just such a situation.
Another option would be to use a unique column in the datasource to define
the category codes for that level in the dimension.  Once that has been done
you can either write a macro using VB or use mdl scripting to exclude,
include, etc the categories which you want.  By defining unique category
codes that are known by the cognos administrator then you are able to easily
manipulate the categories, if you do not do this then transformer will
generate random category codes and they are harder to find.  Another reason
for doing this would be to keep the category codes constant, if you do not
define the codes then they are likely to be different the next time you
generate categories into your model.  Hope this helps and cheers.

Quote:> Hello,

> Does anybody know of a way of automating the process of assosiating
> user classes to certain categories within a cube?

> For example,

> If I have dimentions named global/ region / subregion / country and I
> wish to assign User Class A so that they can only see a particular
> countries details.

> Doing this manually this would mean excluding all dimentions of this
> view by using a custom view and selecting exclude.

> I have hundereds of these exclusions to perform and have all the data
> within an excel sheet.

> Is it possible to create a script which may perform this for me?

> Thanks in Advance!

Cognos Transformer Category Automation

Post by A. Johns » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:32:47

Thanks for the feedback.
It is indeed the case that I will need to retain more than one
category.
I also have unique codes for each category within my cube.

I understand the theory behind this suggestion but am unsure as to how
to go about implementing it. Ive been using cognos for a short time
but have no macro or vb experience.

Do you know of any examples on the web which I may be able to use as
reference?

Thanks and Regards,

Andrew.

> That would work but if you want to retain more than one category then you
> are toast.  So, this is for just such a situation.
> Another option would be to use a unique column in the datasource to define
> the category codes for that level in the dimension.  Once that has been done
> you can either write a macro using VB or use mdl scripting to exclude,
> include, etc the categories which you want.  By defining unique category
> codes that are known by the cognos administrator then you are able to easily
> manipulate the categories, if you do not do this then transformer will
> generate random category codes and they are harder to find.  Another reason
> for doing this would be to keep the category codes constant, if you do not
> define the codes then they are likely to be different the next time you
> generate categories into your model.  Hope this helps and cheers.

> > Hello,

> > Does anybody know of a way of automating the process of assosiating
> > user classes to certain categories within a cube?

> > For example,

> > If I have dimentions named global/ region / subregion / country and I
> > wish to assign User Class A so that they can only see a particular
> > countries details.

> > Doing this manually this would mean excluding all dimentions of this
> > view by using a custom view and selecting exclude.

> > I have hundereds of these exclusions to perform and have all the data
> > within an excel sheet.

> > Is it possible to create a script which may perform this for me?

> > Thanks in Advance!

Cognos Transformer Category Automation

Post by Mitc » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 00:41:41

If you use Access Manager Security, you can assign User Classes to
specific levels in a dimension for the cube.  This would automatically
filter the data when that user accesses the cube.  However it sounds
more like you want to do user profiling based on categories.  Cognos
will not directly do this easily.  I've done category specifc
filtering for cubes based on user or group profiles with a tool called
ReportEase  http://www.dstrat.com/ReportEase/reportease.html.  For
example you could set it up so that when viewing a powerplay report,
user asmith would only see Ontario, and user bsmith could only see
Manitoba for the dimension Location.

Hope this helps...

> Thanks for the feedback.
> It is indeed the case that I will need to retain more than one
> category.
> I also have unique codes for each category within my cube.

> I understand the theory behind this suggestion but am unsure as to how
> to go about implementing it. Ive been using cognos for a short time
> but have no macro or vb experience.

> Do you know of any examples on the web which I may be able to use as
> reference?

> Thanks and Regards,

> Andrew.

> > That would work but if you want to retain more than one category then you
> > are toast.  So, this is for just such a situation.
> > Another option would be to use a unique column in the datasource to define
> > the category codes for that level in the dimension.  Once that has been done
> > you can either write a macro using VB or use mdl scripting to exclude,
> > include, etc the categories which you want.  By defining unique category
> > codes that are known by the cognos administrator then you are able to easily
> > manipulate the categories, if you do not do this then transformer will
> > generate random category codes and they are harder to find.  Another reason
> > for doing this would be to keep the category codes constant, if you do not
> > define the codes then they are likely to be different the next time you
> > generate categories into your model.  Hope this helps and cheers.

> > > Hello,

> > > Does anybody know of a way of automating the process of assosiating
> > > user classes to certain categories within a cube?

> > > For example,

> > > If I have dimentions named global/ region / subregion / country and I
> > > wish to assign User Class A so that they can only see a particular
> > > countries details.

> > > Doing this manually this would mean excluding all dimentions of this
> > > view by using a custom view and selecting exclude.

> > > I have hundereds of these exclusions to perform and have all the data
> > > within an excel sheet.

> > > Is it possible to create a script which may perform this for me?

> > > Thanks in Advance!

Cognos Transformer Category Automation

Post by Brad Harri » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:02:14

Was that last message a sales pitch?  Sounded like one.

I'm not sure how it would be any easier with reportease than transformer?
In both products you would be required to define the visible, omitted,
rollups, etc for the categories of each profile, so I think I may be missing
something.  The whole point of user class views in transformer is to perform
functions just like that.

I think what Mitch may have been getting at was the ability to define
categories for each individual user and not a group.  This can still be
accomplished with transformer you are simply required to create a user class
for each user (with batch maitenance and ms excel all the data can be
replicated in seconds and imported into access manager).

If anyone can clear up how it would be easier in reportease that would be
appreciated.

Andrew, I'll take a look for you tomorrow at work to see if I can find you a
sample mdl script or macro.
Cheers all

> If you use Access Manager Security, you can assign User Classes to
> specific levels in a dimension for the cube.  This would automatically
> filter the data when that user accesses the cube.  However it sounds
> more like you want to do user profiling based on categories.  Cognos
> will not directly do this easily.  I've done category specifc
> filtering for cubes based on user or group profiles with a tool called
> ReportEase  http://www.dstrat.com/ReportEase/reportease.html.  For
> example you could set it up so that when viewing a powerplay report,
> user asmith would only see Ontario, and user bsmith could only see
> Manitoba for the dimension Location.

> Hope this helps...

> > Thanks for the feedback.
> > It is indeed the case that I will need to retain more than one
> > category.
> > I also have unique codes for each category within my cube.

> > I understand the theory behind this suggestion but am unsure as to how
> > to go about implementing it. Ive been using cognos for a short time
> > but have no macro or vb experience.

> > Do you know of any examples on the web which I may be able to use as
> > reference?

> > Thanks and Regards,

> > Andrew.

> > > That would work but if you want to retain more than one category then
you
> > > are toast.  So, this is for just such a situation.
> > > Another option would be to use a unique column in the datasource to
define
> > > the category codes for that level in the dimension.  Once that has
been done
> > > you can either write a macro using VB or use mdl scripting to exclude,
> > > include, etc the categories which you want.  By defining unique
category
> > > codes that are known by the cognos administrator then you are able to
easily
> > > manipulate the categories, if you do not do this then transformer will
> > > generate random category codes and they are harder to find.  Another
reason
> > > for doing this would be to keep the category codes constant, if you do
not
> > > define the codes then they are likely to be different the next time
you
> > > generate categories into your model.  Hope this helps and cheers.

Cognos Transformer Category Automation

Post by A. Johns » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:04:45

OK - thanks everybody for all the help.

I didnt expect much of a response so my initial post was a bit light
on the ground so Ill try to add a few more details...

Access Manager.

Within access manager I have 600 users and about 140 user classes /
sub user classes. Any given user can be in one or many of these
classes. The users are placed into individual classes manually by
setting the membership tabs under each user.

Transformer.

Within my transformer model I have a dimention Region. Region has four
levels - with the bottom level containing a very large number of
categories. For each of the user classes I have defined within Access
manager, I am required to set the security by exculding regions that
particular group is not allowed to see. It is possible that any given
group can view one or more regions / countries and is also the case
that views are set on different levels - Ie, some may be able to view
the whole of Asia (Set on a Region Level) whilst others only Korea
(Set at a lower level - country)

So finally my question!!!!
I periodically recieve an excel sheet with data in the format

UserClass, Region, Area, SubArea, Destination

Class1, Europe, UK
Class2, Europe, UK, London
Class3, Asia, Korea, Soeul

I must then manually enter this into Transformer - Ie class 1 can see
the UK only (including all levels below). Class2 can only see the
London Area and Below and Class3 can only see Soeul.

This process takes a long time to keep changing and checking and is
consiquently my reason for automating it.

I hope this makes things a bit more specific,

Thanks once again,

Andrew.

> Was that last message a sales pitch?  Sounded like one.

> I'm not sure how it would be any easier with reportease than transformer?
> In both products you would be required to define the visible, omitted,
> rollups, etc for the categories of each profile, so I think I may be missing
> something.  The whole point of user class views in transformer is to perform
> functions just like that.

> I think what Mitch may have been getting at was the ability to define
> categories for each individual user and not a group.  This can still be
> accomplished with transformer you are simply required to create a user class
> for each user (with batch maitenance and ms excel all the data can be
> replicated in seconds and imported into access manager).

> If anyone can clear up how it would be easier in reportease that would be
> appreciated.

> Andrew, I'll take a look for you tomorrow at work to see if I can find you a
> sample mdl script or macro.
> Cheers all

> > If you use Access Manager Security, you can assign User Classes to
> > specific levels in a dimension for the cube.  This would automatically
> > filter the data when that user accesses the cube.  However it sounds
> > more like you want to do user profiling based on categories.  Cognos
> > will not directly do this easily.  I've done category specifc
> > filtering for cubes based on user or group profiles with a tool called
> > ReportEase  http://www.dstrat.com/ReportEase/reportease.html.  For
> > example you could set it up so that when viewing a powerplay report,
> > user asmith would only see Ontario, and user bsmith could only see
> > Manitoba for the dimension Location.

> > Hope this helps...

> > > Thanks for the feedback.
> > > It is indeed the case that I will need to retain more than one
> > > category.
> > > I also have unique codes for each category within my cube.

> > > I understand the theory behind this suggestion but am unsure as to how
> > > to go about implementing it. Ive been using cognos for a short time
> > > but have no macro or vb experience.

> > > Do you know of any examples on the web which I may be able to use as
> > > reference?

> > > Thanks and Regards,

> > > Andrew.

>  you
>  define
>  been done
>  category
>  easily
>  reason
>  not
>  you

>  data

1. Categories counts with Cognos Transformer 6.5

How can I create a category count on a data item (dimension) that I
intend to use as a measure, but not include the data item as one of my
dimensions?

My data source has member id, location/address, sex, language, date of
birth, ...
When I roll up, I want to get the number of people in a particular
location, using a certain language, or born in a specific period of
time.  The problem is that if I include as a measure 'Member Count'
which uses member id as the dimension to base the category count, I
end up with too many categories (beyond Transformers 65K limitation).

2. 17973-NY-ROCHESTER-ORACLE-Database Design-Data Applications-DBA Skills-Technolog

3. Time Zones and Cognos Impromptu/Transformer

4. HELP! Visual Studio .Net Seems to Break QA and EM

5. Cognos PowerPlay Transformer [Distinct Count Measure]

6. Adding another column to ADO recordset

7. Levels in Cognos Transformer

8. Large Memory Problem

9. Comparison between MS OLAP and Cognos Transformer

10. Cognos Transformer vs. Cubes

11. Help required: Setting up Allocated Measures in Cognos Transformer

12. Cognos Transformer 7.0 connection to Oracle

13. COGNOS Transformer error