Conversion of AP/PRO to Universe

Post by TDPM » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Has anyone out there had any experiece converting AP/PRO to Universe.  I am
receiving some mixed signals and would appreciate comments from anyone who has
gone through this experience.

Thanks,

Dick Paulus

Conversion of AP/PRO to Universe

Post by Bruce Nich » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Gooday,

Having done the job "a few times", the easiest way we've found is to
convert to UniVerse Pick flavour (3 at the prompt).

The only problems we had from that point were some obscure (mainly
single-line) "if ..   then ...  else's" that (a) wouldn't compile or
(b) didn't work exactly as they did under vanilla Pick.

We had a mound of problems with BSCAN (replaces AP's ROOT, KEY, etc)
until we figured out how the damn thing works, and

If you use PROCS beware using IF E's cos IF E = 401  ..... from Pick
means that ERRMSG 401 is invoked (No Items Present) and doesn't work
under uV.   Those sorts of things have to be replaced (IF E = 0 ....
is the uV equivalent for IF E = 401, "0" meaning "zero items",
evidently)

Other than that, most of the conversions were plain sailing.

Oh, yes, nearly forgot.    Have a look at PICKNULL, PKRJUST, PROCACMD,
PROCRCMD in Universe Admin's Config Editor, just to ensure that what
you are used to seeing will still happen, and of course, make sure
WIDE0 (also in Config Editor) is set to 3eb00000 if you still want 2
identical numbers to be considered identical under UniVerse BASIC
programs ...  ....

Other than that, I believe it's really worth the effort to convert....

To NT?    Possibly, once you figure out the SETPTR problems under uV
and M$ together.

Quote:>Has anyone out there had any experiece converting AP/PRO to Universe.  I am
>receiving some mixed signals and would appreciate comments from anyone who has
>gone through this experience.

>Thanks,

>Dick Paulus

Regards,

Bruce Nichol
Talon Computer Services
Melbourne     Australia

Conversion of AP/PRO to Universe

Post by Joe Walt » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Have done this a few times converting from AP/Pro to Universe/NT.

Importing the accounts was a no brainer. Took account-saves and loaded
them in - wham bam. Definitely make the UV accounts PICK flavour.

Naturally, had to change some code, but there weren't too many AP/Pro
specific features in use, so it wasn't too intense.

I did have a nice list of exactly what we had to change and what the
replacement code was so I wouldn't have to rethink it if a project
like that came up again but that list went away when my laptop died!

What I remember changing, off the top of my head is...
* Basic IN statements for single character input had to be replaced
with KEYIN()
* Certain variable names turned out to be Universe Basic keywords and
had to be changed - one of them was EXIT - I believe
* Use of alternate indexes - Basic ROOT, etc had to be replaced with
BSCAN
* Basic PROCREAD/PROCWRITE had to be changed - Universe buffer
delimiter different than AP/Pro
* Proc tests of error messages like IF E=401 (for no items present)
had to be changed - I believe IF #S did the trick for this one
* 'Access' statements for reports with no HEADING clause - had to add
HDR.SUP to the command - Universe displays the SORT/LIST command in
report as default heading
* Spooler/Printing - now here is where some big changes had to be
made. Replaced all SP-ASSIGN stuff with long,  SETPTR commands. Things
like SP-ASSIGN F1 became SETPTR ,,,,,AT HP4,NHEAD,NFMT,INFORM,BRIEF.

I am guessing if you made use of the 'up' processor in your
application that stuff will have to be completely rewritten.

Doing the conversion was definitely worth it. I would rather work with
Universe/NT than AP/Pro any day of the week.

I believe Ardent has a paper that outlines the differences between
AP/Pro and Universe - that could help you a lot in the conversion.

Joe Walter

http://jaw1.home.mindspring.com