Merged Reports with Report Builder ?

Post by usern.. » Thu, 27 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hi ya foxpro pros out there !

While programming a complex report structure, I encountered a problem: I would
like to sample one large report using some small, or even one-line,
sub-reports. E.g. I would call different  reports, all consisting of one
detail line from out of my main report program and direct their output in one
report file, in which i would like to calculate sums, average ... In the end,
only the sampled resulting report should be previewed and printed ? Does
anyone out there have a solution or workaround for this ?!?

Post by Brian Farquh » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

: Hi ya foxpro pros out there !

: While programming a complex report structure, I encountered a problem: I would
: like to sample one large report using some small, or even one-line,
: sub-reports. E.g. I would call different  reports, all consisting of one
: detail line from out of my main report program and direct their output in one
: report file, in which i would like to calculate sums, average ... In the end,
: only the sampled resulting report should be previewed and printed ? Does
: anyone out there have a solution or workaround for this ?!?

I often use SQL to create 1 or more Cursors (temp databases) then
manipulate them with FoxPro as required. The Cursor is then printed using
the normal Report Writer tools. Does that help?

Brian

+----------------------------------+------------------------------+

|  United Arab Shipping Co.        | phone: +65 4200 871          |
|  Information Systems, Singapore  | fax:   +65 226 4146          |
+----------------------------------+------------------------------+
Compatibility is defined as perpetuating predecessors' mistakes
and standardisation as making them legal..   G.B. Newell

1. Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

Why do users want reports?

I mean, isn't it enough for them to see their information on the screen?
Why waste paper, toner, printheads, time, money, etc.?  If they *really*
want to distribute information to their clients, can't they just send them a
cheap computer with a replicated copy of the database?  Wouldn't that just
be much simpler for everyone involved (especially me)?

I can't figure it out.  I *try* and *try* to tell them that reports are
really unnecessary.  It's all in their mind.  It's a myth.  Paper reports
are like...like...dinosaurs...just waiting for the next meteorite.

But, alas, they pay me no heed and continue to insist on reports.  So, here
we are.

Currently, we're using Crystal Reports 7.0.  But, I find I *ABSOLUTELY AND
UNEQUIVOCALLY DO NOT LIKE IT.*  It's not that there's anything wrong, per
se, with the product.  Just a preference.

Has anyone out there used both Crystal and Active Reports and have some
opinion or comparison they can offer?

Manish

2. dbload

3. VGS-1313 Font Lookup Failed from Report Builder report - corrupted file

4. disabling IPC

5. Advice want: Report Builder versus Reports Designer

6. User Control Text Box - Problems with DataSource

7. Report Builder Vs Report Engine Printer Selection

8. How do I combine OUTER JOINS w/ "dependent" INNER JOINS?

9. Windows report printing outside of Report Builder

10. Developer Oracle / Dba - Curriculum Vitae - form builder / report builder

11. Report builder / query builder

12. REports and sub-reports in Crystal Reports

13. Reports, Reports, Reports