Refreshing @SAY objects in a screen

Post by Jim Dav » Sun, 09 Jan 1994 02:38:43

Folks, I'm usually dissatisfied with the colors of objects that have been

SAY object.  I am having a problem refreshing them once the screen is
painted and the info that should be displayed has changed.  I would like
some help figuring out how to do this.

Here's the desired sequence.  Two databases are related on a common field.
The second database follows the first.  Info from the second database is
displayed based on the value in the common field in the first database.  I
use a push button to select a new value for the first field from a POPUP,

database, has not changed, despite the common field having changed.  Is that
too confusing?  The code is not long, but this description is probably
better.

GETS or SHOW GET  to refresh the field.  However, it is undesirable to let
the user have access to the displayed info (to change it) and I have already
said that I don't like the looks of a disabled object.

There you have it.  Suggestions will be gratefully and humbly received.  If
you decide to mail a response directly to me, be advised that my mail
handler is a lying machine.  Instead of using the address you see on your
screen, the following is a sure-fire address:

Thanks,
Jim
Standard disclaimer applies.

Post by Mark T. Boye » Sun, 09 Jan 1994 02:59:50

>Folks, I'm usually dissatisfied with the colors of objects that have been

>SAY object.  I am having a problem refreshing them once the screen is
>painted and the info that should be displayed has changed.  I would like
>some help figuring out how to do this.

>Here's the desired sequence.  Two databases are related on a common field.
>The second database follows the first.  Info from the second database is
>displayed based on the value in the common field in the first database.  I
>use a push button to select a new value for the first field from a POPUP,

>database, has not changed, despite the common field having changed.  Is that
>too confusing?  The code is not long, but this description is probably
>better.

>GETS or SHOW GET  to refresh the field.  However, it is undesirable to let
>the user have access to the displayed info (to change it) and I have already
>said that I don't like the looks of a disabled object.

>There you have it.  Suggestions will be gratefully and humbly received.  If
>you decide to mail a response directly to me, be advised that my mail
>handler is a lying machine.  Instead of using the address you see on your
>screen, the following is a sure-fire address:

>Thanks,
>Jim
>Standard disclaimer applies.

Jim,

'Refresh' check box.  Then issue a 'SHOW GETS OFF' to invoke an update.

---
Mark T. Boyer

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Post by Robert D Bro » Mon, 10 Jan 1994 11:28:19

: Folks, I'm usually dissatisfied with the colors of objects that have been
: DISABLED

You can edit the color scheme used.

Post by DAVID MENAS » Mon, 10 Jan 1994 09:29:00

>Folks, I'm usually dissatisfied with the colors of objects that have been

>SAY object

It is possible to change the disabled colors either globaly, using
SET COLOR SCHEME or individualy for each GET, using a color list.

>I am having a problem refreshing them once the screen is
>painted and the info that should be displayed has changed.  I would like
>some help figuring out how to do this.

>Here's the desired sequence.  Two databases are related on a common field.
>The second database follows the first.  Info from the second database is
>displayed based on the value in the common field in the first database.  I
>use a push button to select a new value for the first field from a POPUP,

>database, has not changed, despite the common field having changed.  Is that
>too confusing?  The code is not long, but this description is probably
>better.

>GETS or SHOW GET  to refresh the field.  However, it is undesirable to let
>the user have access to the displayed info (to change it) and I have already
>said that I don't like the looks of a disabled object.

>There you have it.  Suggestions will be gratefully and humbly received.  If
>you decide to mail a response directly to me, be advised that my mail
>handler is a lying machine.  Instead of using the address you see on your
>screen, the following is a sure-fire address:

>Thanks,
>Jim
>Standard disclaimer applies.

The screen builder in foxpro has an option to refresh output fields (i.e.
SAY objects). I once looked at the .SPR generated program and saw that a UDF
was invoked by one of the READ clauses. The UDF then redisplayed the SAY.
Sorry to say but I can't remember which read clause it was (havn't got access
to FOX right now). You can either experiment with the screen builder or look
up READ in the manual.

Hope this helps (e-mail if not clear),

Post by Andreas Lamprec » Tue, 11 Jan 1994 15:47:27

>>Folks, I'm usually dissatisfied with the colors of objects that have been

>>SAY object

>It is possible to change the disabled colors either globaly, using
>SET COLOR SCHEME or individualy for each GET, using a color list.

>>I am having a problem refreshing them once the screen is
>>painted and the info that should be displayed has changed.  I would like
>>some help figuring out how to do this.

>>Here's the desired sequence.  Two databases are related on a common field.
>>The second database follows the first.  Info from the second database is
>>displayed based on the value in the common field in the first database.  I
>>use a push button to select a new value for the first field from a POPUP,

>>database, has not changed, despite the common field having changed.  Is that
>>too confusing?  The code is not long, but this description is probably
>>better.

>>GETS or SHOW GET  to refresh the field.  However, it is undesirable to let
>>the user have access to the displayed info (to change it) and I have already
>>said that I don't like the looks of a disabled object.

>>There you have it.  Suggestions will be gratefully and humbly received.  If
>>you decide to mail a response directly to me, be advised that my mail
>>handler is a lying machine.  Instead of using the address you see on your
>>screen, the following is a sure-fire address:

>>Thanks,
>>Jim
>>Standard disclaimer applies.

>The screen builder in foxpro has an option to refresh output fields (i.e.
>SAY objects). I once looked at the .SPR generated program and saw that a UDF
>was invoked by one of the READ clauses. The UDF then redisplayed the SAY.
>Sorry to say but I can't remember which read clause it was (havn't got access
>to FOX right now). You can either experiment with the screen builder or look
>up READ in the manual.

>Hope this helps (e-mail if not clear),

The only difficulty is to find out the right COLOR command. If you use
FoxPro 2.0 you can take a look at chapter "Colors" in FoxPro for Developers.

Greetings

1. Refresh a SAY object?????

Hi

I would like to update a SAY field with a new value when certain actions
have occured on a screen. eg

        ..
        User Clicks OK button

Is there a way to do this???

Is there a nicer way to do this??

Doug
--
Doug Phillips
CITEC

2. ADO error 3219

3. Refresh a SAY object????? -Reply

4. Running SQL 7 and upgrading to Win 2000 -Help!

5. ThisForm.refresh() - Change order of refresh of objects

6. SQL Servers Information

7. controlling screen objects with procedures not in screen

8. AFO Question (to do with locking)

9. FPD @ SAY Refresh problem

10. 'Refresh' a SAY

11. Refresh SAY field?