CREATE SQL VIEW is s-l-o-w

Post by mike.mor.. » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I'm using VFP 5 to query against a remote Oracle 7 database.
The queries themselves run fine, but when defining Remote Views,
the process can take up to 20 or 30 seconds.

Is there any DBPROP that I should set to help this? And is there
any particular reason why this should take so long? It's not
even clear to me why there's a need to connect to the remote
datasource, except to validate table/column names, right?

The views are simple, single table views that simply create
an alias and return perhaps 8 or 10 columns out of the original
30 or 40 columns in the remote table.

TIA,

1. CREATE VIEW is much slower under SQL 2000

The database setup portion of my application creates a lot of views (~1800
of them).  This takes about 30 seconds in SQL Server 7.0, but takes 9
minutes and 25 seconds in SQL Server 2000.

In SQL Server 7.0, myCREATE VIEW statements all took about 10-20ms.  In SQL
Server 2000, most take about 20-30ms, but a lot of them take 200-400ms, more
than ten times slower than before.  This is all measured on the same server.

Does anyone know why there is a time increase?

2. Data Control Vs. Recordsets

3. Creating a local view using CREATE SQL VIEW

4. Inormix 7.3 installation on Win2k pro fails!

5. Remote View prompting for parameters on CREATE SQL VIEW

6. Replication from SQL Server to Oracle 8.1.7

7. Remote view prompting for parameters on CREATE SQL VIEW

8. Comments wanted on Andyne GQL

9. Insert into SQL Server slow, slow, slow...

10. Why am I so Slow

11. create indexs in Views Based on Views

12. MSSQL 6.5 View created with other Views