Maximum width query result 2008??

Post by Bob v/d Laa » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Fellow Ingres users,

Our developpers tell me the maximum width of a query in Ingres is 2008 caharacters. They tell me this is a BIG problem and therefor we should use Oracle instead.
Any comments??

Cheers
Bob

Maximum width query result 2008??

Post by Karl Schend » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Fellow Ingres users,

> Our developpers tell me the maximum width of a query in Ingres is 2008

caharacters. They tell me this is a BIG problem and therefor we should use
Oracle instead.

Quote:> Any comments??

You mean, comments other than "Your developers are obviously a bunch
of lazy a**holes?"

yeah, every now and then the 2k row limit is a nuisance, but it's not
hard to work around from a design standpoint.  Oracle has its share
of little gotchas too.  How about "the empty string '' is treated as
if it were NULL.  This is a BIG problem, and therefore everyone should
use Ingres instead."

OpenIngres supports LONG datatypes which can hold values up to
2 gigabytes.  (In theory).  You have to do a little extra whirling
to get at the values, and it's not completely transparent, but it
does work.

--
Karl Schendel            Phone: (412) 963-8844
Telesis Computer Corp      Fax: (412) 963-1373

Maximum width query result 2008??

Post by RW Salni » Mon, 02 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Fellow Ingres users,

>Our developpers tell me the maximum width of a query in Ingres is 2008

caharacters. They tell me this is a BIG problem and therefor we should use
Oracle instead.

Quote:>Any comments??

>Cheers
>Bob

I think you need to take another look at the design of the
database/applications.  Although it is possible that you really do need to
have rows this wide, it is unusual and unlikely...

bob
--
*********  Wanted:  1968 GTO parts   *************

      WA9BVE            |
                -----------------

Maximum width query result 2008??

Post by J. Kent Smi » Wed, 04 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> Fellow Ingres users,

> Our developpers tell me the maximum width of a query in Ingres is 2008 caharacters. They tell me this is a BIG problem and therefor we should use Oracle instead.
> Any comments??

How often do you need to retrieve more than 2008 bytes per row in a query?
I have developed dozens of applications for dozens of clients and _never_
run into this as a  problem for application development.  The only times
that I have heard of this as a problem are on very complicated reports
created using Ingres Report Writer, and the easy solution is to create
the reports in a 3gl instead.

Cheers,

--Kent

J. Kent Smith           President, NEIUA       The next meeting of the
The Palmer Group        (617) 246-1630 Phone   New England INGRES Users
285 Edgewater Drive     (617) 246-4166 Fax     Association is scheduled

Maximum width query result 2008??

Post by Robert Perlber » Thu, 26 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> > Our developpers tell me the maximum width of a query in Ingres is 2008 caharacters. They tell me this is a BIG problem and therefor we should use Oracle instead.
> How often do you need to retrieve more than 2008 bytes per row in a query?
> I have developed dozens of applications for dozens of clients and _never_
> run into this as a  problem for application development.  The only times
> that I have heard of this as a problem are on very complicated reports
> created using Ingres Report Writer, and the easy solution is to create
> the reports in a 3gl instead.

Agreed.  I only ran into this problem once, and that was in a database
someone else designed which had a 1920 character text field.  The idea
was to store a multi-line paragraph of text with each record.  The text
was in a separate table from the rest of the record, since it didn't
leave room for anything else, but in order to print the record data and
the paragraph text on the same report page, I had to retrieve them with
the same query, which didn't work.  I ultimately kluged it by writing 2
reports, one for each table, and merging the report pages together with
a shell script.  Of course, I could have done it in C, and I would
have, except that the guy I was working for at the time seemed to feel
that writing anything in C would make it less portable, so he insisted
that everything be written in Ingres/4GL and Report Writer.

Now, whenever I have the situation where long paragraphs of text need
to be stored in the database, I use a separate table with an 80
character column which stores each line of text in a separate row.  It
makes the coding a little more complicated, but it has the advantage
that you can store an unlimited amount of text.  I've even written
reports in Report Writer which can handle this format without any
post-processing since each query row only has 80 columns of text in
addition to whatever other data is being retrieved.

I now have to deal with another wrinkle, however.  We are now using
PowerBuilder.  PowerBuilder's report writer makes Ingres Report Writer
look like a 3GL.  It's cute and graphical and a child could use it, but
all you can do is the most basic reports.  And there's no possibility
for post-processing or 3GL coding.  You also have to deal with the fact
that Windows users want the output in proportionally spaced font so you
can't just put 80 characters on each line.  So far I've done 2
PowerBuilder applications.  One used the one line per row format,
although I had to make each row 90 characters to appease the users
since 80 characters looks too narrow in a PS font.  In the second app I
just created a 500 character column to save myself much heartache.  In
this particular app I don't expect the users will need more than 500
characters, but I just know I'm going to get a call one day.  In the
future, I think what I should do is use the 80 character per row
format, but instead of treating each row as a line, just treat it as an
80 character slice of an unformatted string and let the application
reformat the text, but I don't think PowerBuilder's report writer would
be able to handle that without a lot of klugey work.  It was damn near
impossible to get it to handle the one row per line format.

Robert Perlberg
Dean Witter Reynolds Inc., New York

"The Internet is full.  Go away!"
        -- seen on a T-shirt