Getting Started

Post by markwen.. » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

My company is writing a good size application for
one of our clients (original app is 18 years old,
written by me in basic).

We expect the database to be about 4-8 GB in two
years, 10-20 users.  Server will be Dell 2300 P500
with 384Mb and RAID5 (3-9GB, 10,00RPM). 100mb
network cards with P400, 128MB RAM workstations.

Front end is being written in VB6 at this moment.

1.  We have decided to use Pervasive SQL.

1.5  What do I need to get started (ie, SDK,
workstation version, etc)?  want to develop on
notebook & standalone and then implement on
network.

2.  Any suggestions on a good book on
Pervasive/btrieve?

3.  Will implement on Netware 5 server.

4.  Will ODBC be slow vs ADO?

tia

Mark

Getting Started

Post by techsupp.. » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Yes, I'd recommend you start out with the SDK.  You can then implement
the ActiveX controls to make the Btrieve calls and not go through the
ODBC at all.    The SDK includes the workstation engine for
development on a stand-alone system.  Pervasive.SQL is certified to
work with Netware 5.

Aside from the manuals, I'd recommend Btrieve Complete by Jim Kyle.
It should be available at any bookstore or can be purchased directly
from Jim Kyle's web site at http://www.jimkyle.com

>My company is writing a good size application for
>one of our clients (original app is 18 years old,
>written by me in basic).

>We expect the database to be about 4-8 GB in two
>years, 10-20 users.  Server will be Dell 2300 P500
>with 384Mb and RAID5 (3-9GB, 10,00RPM). 100mb
>network cards with P400, 128MB RAM workstations.

>Front end is being written in VB6 at this moment.

>1.  We have decided to use Pervasive SQL.

>1.5  What do I need to get started (ie, SDK,
>workstation version, etc)?  want to develop on
>notebook & standalone and then implement on
>network.

>2.  Any suggestions on a good book on
>Pervasive/btrieve?

>3.  Will implement on Netware 5 server.

>4.  Will ODBC be slow vs ADO?

>tia

>Mark

>---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

Cynthia

1. Help getting started... Please read

Im very interested in programming, but have no real background or knowledge
other than what I have learned on my own, not much yet. I ve posted one
other time here about my interest in learning to be an Oracle developer and
recieved good advice on being carefull with the tech " school" certification
route as a way to get the education. Im convinced of my desire to do this,
but unsure as to the best way to go about it. Im doing this backwards, as I
am 34 and have had my own business since getting out of high school. Ive
always liked being in charge of my time and carreer, and I probably would
like to do the same with programming at some point. But, besides being
proffitable, I really have this bug that I just have to figure this
programming stuff out, even though I am not sure if I can.
Given the fact that I want to be a programmer, probably in the area of
database design,  what would be the best route to get the training, ( Real
knowledge ), and the experience for me to pursue this, with possibly
freelancing as an end goal? College, tech school, online learning,  etc.
Does my age matter in the real world as far as starting now? Do I have to be
Spock to do this? Any particular area of programming financially or
creatively better? Were you as overwhelmed when you first started looking at
code as I am?  How long did it take you to GET IT?
 I would love to hear from everyone who has an opinion. I thank you.
Shawn

2. Combo box question

3. trouble getting started on Win98

4. Connection til Access database broken after a while

5. Getting started...

6. odsole70.dll vs odsole32.dll sp_OA procedures?

7. Extended Stored Procedures (Getting Started)

8. How to default select the last item of a list box

9. Getting started with SQL Server

10. Getting Started with SQL Server 6.5

11. getting started

12. Getting Started with SQL Server