Transaction Management

Post by dbnew.. » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello all,

I am developing a Persistence Object Service (POS) on top of a regular
relational database (currently, MS SQL Server).

With regard to transaction management, I plan to provide an API which
maps directly to the underlying RDBMS's transaction management
commands.

The main reason that I am mapping transaction management onto the
RDBMS's transaction management is that I don't want to have to
re-invent the many wheels of a RDBMS.

Since I am a newbie, I hope you all would like to discuss the
advantages and disadvantages of mapping a POS transaction management
on top of the transaction management of a RDBMS.

Thanks a bunch...

Transaction Management

Post by Phil Bradle » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

The ODMG2 standard which all the major ODBMS vendors aspire to, is, in its
transaction management, pretty much the same as the SQL92 standard.
Hence if you are mapping to an SQL92 compliant database (don't know about
SQL Server) then a direct mapping of the RDBMS transaction services is
appropriate.

Good luck in your POS.

Phil Bradley

> Hello all,

> I am developing a Persistence Object Service (POS) on top of a regular
> relational database (currently, MS SQL Server).

> With regard to transaction management, I plan to provide an API which
> maps directly to the underlying RDBMS's transaction management
> commands.

> The main reason that I am mapping transaction management onto the
> RDBMS's transaction management is that I don't want to have to
> re-invent the many wheels of a RDBMS.

> Since I am a newbie, I hope you all would like to discuss the
> advantages and disadvantages of mapping a POS transaction management
> on top of the transaction management of a RDBMS.

> Thanks a bunch...

Transaction Management

Post by dbnew.. » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 21:17:51 -0700, Phil Bradley

>The ODMG2 standard which all the major ODBMS vendors aspire to, is, in its
>transaction management, pretty much the same as the SQL92 standard.
>Hence if you are mapping to an SQL92 compliant database (don't know about
>SQL Server) then a direct mapping of the RDBMS transaction services is
>appropriate.

Thanks Phil.  That's good to hear.

>Good luck in your POS.

>Phil Bradley

>> Hello all,

>> I am developing a Persistence Object Service (POS) on top of a regular
>> relational database (currently, MS SQL Server).

>> With regard to transaction management, I plan to provide an API which
>> maps directly to the underlying RDBMS's transaction management
>> commands.

>> The main reason that I am mapping transaction management onto the
>> RDBMS's transaction management is that I don't want to have to
>> re-invent the many wheels of a RDBMS.

>> Since I am a newbie, I hope you all would like to discuss the
>> advantages and disadvantages of mapping a POS transaction management
>> on top of the transaction management of a RDBMS.

>> Thanks a bunch...

1. Transaction Logs & Transaction Management

I perform a full backup each evening followed immediately by a dump
trans w/ init.  I follow with semi-hourly trans dumps throughout the
day.  I have noticed open transactions (dbcc opentrans()) where a
transaction will stay open for hours and the trans log will begin to
fill up.

My question is: While the open transaction is 'active', I assume the
other transactions that follow are comitted to the database but would be
lost if I suffered a failure and had to restore from a dump and trans
logs.  So as long as the open trans is active, my recoverability is only
to the previous trans dump?

Example: Trans dump 10:00 AM, open trans starts at 10:05AM.  At 17:10,
suffer drive failure.  I can only recover up to the 10:00 AM trans dump?

On another note, many thanks to MS professional support for saving my
butt from a corrupt database and my only recovery was 36 hours 'old'.

Thanks,
Jay

2. help: sorting data in database

3. transactions(transaction management) in web applications/ e-commerce solutions

4. => linked tble failed max stored proc nesting level exceeded

5. Transaction Management With PowerBuilder and SQL Server 4.21

6. NeXTSTEP -- Z39.50?

7. Transaction Management using CT-Library

8. MS SQL Server 6.5: cannot allocate space for object sys_log

9. Transaction management in DTS

10. Transaction Management

11. Transaction Management : SP or Middle Tier

12. DB Transaction Management using ASP

13. Transaction management in DTS