DataCubes and Dimension in SQL Analysis Services

DataCubes and Dimension in SQL Analysis Services

Post by Najm Hashm » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 00:47:56

Hi All,
    I am just curious how Analysis Services, in SQL server 2000, work in the
back ground. I am wondering how and what kind of indices it maintains on
data cubes and dimensions i.e. quad, kd or R-trees. They, data cubes,  are
easy to build, for sure with the wizard, but I have no knowledge how
internally they are dealt with.
Any enlightenment or links to docs  would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Najm Hashmi
Database Programmer
TSR Technologies

1. Analysis Services. SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services

SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services is the next generation of the OLAP
Services component in SQL Server 7.0.

SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services Service Pack 1 (SP1) greatly expands the
capabilities of client applications to provide local online analytical
processing (OLAP) and data mining functionality, while simplifying the data
definition language (DDL) syntax that client applications need to
incorporate such functionality.

I NEED TO TALK TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME WITH SETTING UP THE FOLLOWING:

a.. Data Definition Language Concepts
a.. Slicing
a.. Derived Dimensions
a.. Statement and Function Reference
a.. CREATE GLOBAL CUBE Statement
a.. CREATE SESSION CUBE Statement
a.. ALTER CUBE Statement
a.. VisualTotals Function
a.. DROP VISUAL TOTALS Statement

--
Larry Bergstrom

817.329.5009 phone

2. Values in timestamp columns

3. A question about virtual dimension in MS SQL Server2000 Analysis Service

4. How can I create a new database ?

5. Sql Server 2000 Analysis Services - Not able to process a dimension

6. Replication... Custom Stored-procs

7. Large dimensions in SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services

8. PackDecimal and EBCDIC conversion

9. A question about virtual dimension in MS SQL Server2000 Analysis Service

10. Analysis Services, Dimension Member ordering, Calculated Members

11. Specifying Default Hierarchy for dimensions in Analysis Services

12. Dimension Ordinal in Analysis Services?

13. Analysis services - adding information columns to a dimension