SB+ Field Names

Post by Sean Beacha » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am having problems with adding field names that start with a numeric
character in SB+ 4.5.3 on Universe 9.5 NT.

Previously on version 3.4.0 I was able to name fields that start with
numerics. e.g.. 30.0.CUST.ID.  Trying to name fields in SB+ 4.5.3 with the
first character as a numeric gives me a <<NAME MUST START WITH AN ALPHA>>
error.

Any help in resolving this problem would be appreciated as I use this type
of field name frequently to differentiate between the screens that the field
has been used in.

Thankyou in advance.

Sean Beacham

SB+ Field Names

Post by Kevin Kin » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

It would appear your best option would be to use a numeric suffix, not
prefix.  Not to throw a stone at what you're trying to do, but numeric
prefixes are rarely a good idea, which is why most languages require that
variables start with an alphabetic character.

If you're deeply entrenched in the application, that is, you have hundreds
of fields that are named this way prior to the SB+ upgrade, the news isn't
good.  You will need to give some thought to writing some conversion
utilities to fix the field definitions.  If I can be of any assistance,
please feel free to email me directly.

--Kevin
(Author: SB+ Solutions)

http://www.precisonline.com
http://www.precisonline.com/gold.htm

>I am having problems with adding field names that start with a numeric
>character in SB+ 4.5.3 on Universe 9.5 NT.

>Previously on version 3.4.0 I was able to name fields that start with
>numerics. e.g.. 30.0.CUST.ID.  Trying to name fields in SB+ 4.5.3 with the
>first character as a numeric gives me a <<NAME MUST START WITH AN ALPHA>>
>error.

>Any help in resolving this problem would be appreciated as I use this type
>of field name frequently to differentiate between the screens that the
field
>has been used in.

>Thankyou in advance.

>Sean Beacham

1. sb+ on Universe running on a Unix Platform to SB+ on Universe on a NT Platform

Hi

I have been asked by a charity group to move their current hire system from
a third party computer centre onto their own inhouse system. The problem I
have, is the current system is on a unix box and the new system is running
on NT.

If any one could please give me advise or options available, I would be
very thankful for any assistance.

Cheers

Jamie Wilbraham
Perth Western Australia

2. New to VB

3. how could I get the source table name and field name from a view field

4. How to dump money field without $ sign.

5. UNIVERSE, SB+ , PHANTOMS, JSD,SB+ COMMON PROBLEM

6. Update the Excel'cell.

7. SB and SB+ fans. Help needed on process

8. Oracle field saturated?

9. SB+/AP to SB+/D3

10. SB+ process SB.SELECT.IDS

11. SB+ LOGUSER file & SB+ Classes

12. UNIDATA / sb+ 4.5 odbc Issue with Access 2000

13. sb+ cheap look alike that works