Definition of standards

Post by Ravi » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

If it wasn't enough for MS to set new standards, it certainly seems that
they are now looking to redefining the standards for benchmarks, stating
that speed doesn't matter, but size does.

"Rather than running the APB-1 or inventing a benchmark of its own, it
took the novel route of responding to a competitor's challenge. As such,
it was not a full OLAP benchmark, but it did show how its new OLAP
Services could successfully work with a terabyte sized database. The
test did not include a realistic range of potential analyses, but it is
interesting because there are probably fewer than a dozen OLAP
applications in production anywhere in the world that are larger, and
none are very much larger."

Maybe we should do it the MSway and not worry about speed of response
for our queries or not worry about analyses, well I mean does it really
matter for OLAP query tools !!!

Certainly that's novel marketing and yet they have no shortage of
supporters.

Ravi..

Definition of standards

Post by mdcbow » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

i am reminded of the story about state farm insurance actuary from california
who built a multidimensional model which created more risk profile categories
than there were people in the state.

there is a limit to this madness. so here's a toast to the wise data
architects. may their calculation windows be wide open.

|If it wasn't enough for MS to set new standards, it certainly seems that
|they are now looking to redefining the standards for benchmarks, stating
|that speed doesn't matter, but size does.

|"Rather than running the APB-1 or inventing a benchmark of its own, it
|took the novel route of responding to a competitor's challenge. As such,
|it was not a full OLAP benchmark, but it did show how its new OLAP
|Services could successfully work with a terabyte sized database. The
|test did not include a realistic range of potential analyses, but it is
|interesting because there are probably fewer than a dozen OLAP
|applications in production anywhere in the world that are larger, and
|none are very much larger."
|
|Maybe we should do it the MSway and not worry about speed of response
|for our queries or not worry about analyses, well I mean does it really
|matter for OLAP query tools !!!
|
|Certainly that's novel marketing and yet they have no shortage of
|supporters.
|
|Ravi..

michael bowen
standard disclaimers apply