Problems Importing ASCII Space Deliminated Files

Problems Importing ASCII Space Deliminated Files

Post by Andy Milkows » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I am having problems using the Append From... command importing constant length
fields.  The problem is that everytime Fox comes across a space, it will go on
to the next field.  How can I handle this problem?

Post by None List » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>I am having problems using the Append From... command importing constant length
>fields.  The problem is that everytime Fox comes across a space, it will go on
>to the next field.  How can I handle this problem?

If your data is constant length, as you said, use the SDF option.  It will
not go to the next field at a space, but you need to have the structure of
the DBF and the ascii file the same.

- John

Post by Nordbe » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: I am having problems using the Append From... command importing constant length
: fields.  The problem is that everytime Fox comes across a space, it will go on
: to the next field.  How can I handle this problem?

If the files you are appending from are fixed length, and the record is
ended with a carriage return, then all you need to do is APPEND FROM using
SDF as your file type.

Michael Nordberg
USF

1. Problem importing ASCII file containing french characters.

I have a comma delimited ASCII file that contains french characters, it was
created on a DOS system using code page 850 I think.
When i run  a type fielname command on the dos system, the characters all
appear OK. But when I run the same command on a W2K system the is replaced
by a comma so that the delimiter character now appears inside of data fields
and the DTS can no longer make the correct field count based on the comma
character.

I've tried importing this file into access or SQl server with no
success.Does anyone know how I can import the data in this file correctly
into a sql server table?

Any helpwould be greatly appreciated.

Bob

2. Who is logging in?

3. problems importing date field from ascii file

4. installing

5. Removing trailing/leading spaces from ASCII copy files

6. inserting columns with values from a different table

7. Comma Deliminated Text Files

8. multi-record/table forms

9. Tab Deliminated Files?

10. Q:use bcp to import an ascii data file

11. Direct table import from ASCII file

12. Import data from Ascii file

13. importing a ascii text, pipe delimited file